Floods in Pakistan

Halasian
Crimebuster

Floods in Pakistan

Postby Halasian » Mon Aug 30, 2010 10:55 pm

With over 20 million people ... roughly the total population of Australia, & more than was affected by the Hatai earthquake, Burma cyclone, and the 2005 Tsunami put together ... severely affected by the flooding in Pakistan, why is it that the media and public sympathy doesn't seem to give a rat's ass? While spending huge amounts of money, not to mention soldier's lives, trying to defeat the Taliban in the area, we let the aid be provided to hurting people by the same folk we're supposedly at war with. Way to win hearts and minds.

If you feel a need to give something, Unicef is the best way, being it isn't going to be controlled by a local aid agency which likely has ties with the Taliban, or by corrupt government officials.
Dunedain Ranger in the Shadows

shireling
Frodo's Stewed Coney

Re: Floods in Pakistan

Postby shireling » Mon Aug 30, 2010 11:32 pm

I hear you, but all of these disasters have taken their toll - not to mention the everlasting Katrina/Rita wreckage, the current damage from floods in Iowa and Tennessee, and the Gulf Oil Spill - on people's hearts as well as their wallets.

How do you get your head around this? 20 million people...it's just staggering. The flooding continues because the rains keep coming and that affects how the aid gets out there - as well as you just mentioned, the Taliban and government corruption. The latter has been a huge problem for Haiti since the founding of the place and they've improved on it since.

As for giving, we gave through our faith and the funds go right from one National Assembly to the other. It wasn't much, but we know that nobody took so much as a penny for themselves; our little bit went further than most. And if there's a mosque near you, contact them and let them know you care - ask what they would suggest you could do to help. There's plenty of good will to be gained by that, as I've found out, as are prayers and they will not turn those down, believe me.

I don't think it's about winning hearts and minds, Hal, as much as it is just doing the right thing. I don't think we should expect to get anything out of this other than a contented heart and a good night's sleep.

"He who learns must suffer. And even in our sleep pain that cannot forget falls drop by drop upon the heart, and in our own despair, against our will, comes wisdom to us by the awful grace of God." - Aeschylus

Avatar courtesy of Candy Kane, Webmistress Extraordinaire and Slayer of Trolls

Shuggy
Wyvern
Location: Navigating Defecation Creek Without Any Oars Whatsoever.

Postby Shuggy » Tue Aug 31, 2010 9:57 am

I'm a firm believer in the old adage "Charity begins at Home"; the British Economy is in a bad way as it is. Let's sort out our own affairs before we start throwing millions at another country.
"Your Mother Cooks Socks in Hell!"

Halasian
Crimebuster

Postby Halasian » Tue Aug 31, 2010 11:25 pm

Hmm... interesting responses.

shireling wrote:I don't think it's about winning hearts and minds, Hal, as much as it is just doing the right thing. I don't think we should expect to get anything out of this other than a contented heart and a good night's sleep.

I'll remember that the next time that city in Louisiana that is below sea level gets blown off the map by the next cat 5 hurricane.

You realize U.S., NATO, & Australia are waging war in Afghanistan, & by proxy, the border areas in Pakistan. The costs of doing that are staggering, and isn't really doing much to benefit the home front other than draining treasuries and sending young men home in body bags. I think pushing for and paying for the aid for Pakistani flood victims would have a positive effect on the general effort over there as an overall strategy.
Dunedain Ranger in the Shadows

Shuggy
Wyvern
Location: Navigating Defecation Creek Without Any Oars Whatsoever.

Postby Shuggy » Wed Sep 01, 2010 9:53 am

Halasian wrote:You realize U.S., NATO, & Australia are waging war in Afghanistan, & by proxy, the border areas in Pakistan. The costs of doing that are staggering, and isn't really doing much to benefit the home front other than draining treasuries and sending young men home in body bags. I think pushing for and paying for the aid for Pakistani flood victims would have a positive effect on the general effort over there as an overall strategy.

While I tentatively agree that the costs of the war outweigh the perceivable benefits, I would argue that the presence of the 'western' military is severely hampering the ability of terrorists to operate and strike against US/UK targets, which they almost CERTAINLY would be doing given the chance. Remember; the events of Sep 11 were unprovoked (or perhaps 'provoked', but not enough to warrant a response anything LIKE that).

I would also suggest that any funds saved by not prosecuting a war in Afghanistan would be better spent in the US (or relevant home country) rather than Pakistan.
"Your Mother Cooks Socks in Hell!"

Return to “The News”