Wikileaks ~ Good or Bad?

Halasian
Crimebuster

Wikileaks ~ Good or Bad?

Postby Halasian » Fri Dec 17, 2010 11:32 am

Wikileaks describes itself as a media organization committed to uncovering secrets and ensuring transparency of government and commercial entities. Its actions have caused public figures to praise it as visionary and brave or revile it as a terrorist organisation. Calls for the assassination of one of its founders have been placed on public record in more than one nation.

So what do you think?
Dunedain Ranger in the Shadows

ashbow
Crimebuster

Re: Wikileaks ~ Good or Bad?

Postby ashbow » Fri Dec 17, 2010 5:39 pm

Not even going to bite on this thread...Too close to politics, and there's no better way for a website to lose half their members, than to start discussions like this.

TomCotton
Vampire Slayer

Postby TomCotton » Fri Dec 17, 2010 7:22 pm

I think the bailiff should whack his peepee.
§Doug§ AC000000 Eamus Catuli!!!!
Audere est Facere
"Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn’t go away." Philip K. Dick

Halasian
Crimebuster

Postby Halasian » Fri Dec 17, 2010 11:13 pm

ashbow wrote:Not even going to bite on this thread...Too close to politics, and there's no better way for a website to lose half their members, than to start discussions like this.

Mmmm-kay. I thought the quality of the handful of people who post here was above that and could have a reasonable discourse on a news topic without descending into nastiness. Oh well. I'll go somewhere else and ask then.
Dunedain Ranger in the Shadows

shireling
Frodo's Stewed Coney

Postby shireling » Sat Dec 18, 2010 1:06 am

ashbow wrote:Not even going to bite on this thread...Too close to politics, and there's no better way for a website to lose half their members, than to start discussions like this.

Ditto!
TomCotton wrote:I think the bailiff should whack his peepee.

Ditto! Ditto!

"He who learns must suffer. And even in our sleep pain that cannot forget falls drop by drop upon the heart, and in our own despair, against our will, comes wisdom to us by the awful grace of God." - Aeschylus

Avatar courtesy of Candy Kane, Webmistress Extraordinaire and Slayer of Trolls

Candy Kane
Psychic detective

Postby Candy Kane » Sun Dec 19, 2010 1:00 am

I'll bite. I'm moderate, centre-left, so I'm unlikely to cause much controversy.

The fact is, there have always been whistleblowers, for good or ill. Remember the Ford Pinto scandal? If someone hadn't spoken up about that, more lives might have been lost.

Wikileaks posits itself as an online whistleblower, but I'm not sure what damage they have actually done. They've embarrassed some people, but when I saw the latest revelations, I thought, "But that's old news."

However, there is a risk that they might cause more than embarrassment one day, and actually either tip off a terrorist organization about an operation or compromise an agent. The question is, are they so committed to transparency that they'd actually endanger people's lives?

I don't have an answer to that, but I have seen what blind idealism can do. The truth is, I'm on the fence till I see something worth arguing over.
To err is but human, to forgive divine, and to design is AWESOME! :8

shireling
Frodo's Stewed Coney

Postby shireling » Sun Dec 19, 2010 1:35 am

I'm still with Tom...

"He who learns must suffer. And even in our sleep pain that cannot forget falls drop by drop upon the heart, and in our own despair, against our will, comes wisdom to us by the awful grace of God." - Aeschylus

Candy Kane
Psychic detective

Postby Candy Kane » Sun Dec 19, 2010 10:49 am

Fair enough. That's the beauty of democracy!

MsBrandybuck
Wyvern

Postby MsBrandybuck » Sun Dec 19, 2010 2:39 pm

My dad served in WWII. When I went to school, the war was fresh enough that we studied it in depth in class.
And this may be cold-war era thinking on my part, but I feel that anyone who leaks sensitive information during war time is treasonous and should be punished as a traitor to his/her country.
"Today is a good day to die."
— Worf

shireling
Frodo's Stewed Coney

Postby shireling » Sun Dec 19, 2010 8:58 pm

Cheech and Chong were onto something here...

Candy Kane
Psychic detective

Postby Candy Kane » Sun Dec 19, 2010 11:03 pm

MsBrandybuck wrote:My dad served in WWII. When I went to school, the war was fresh enough that we studied it in depth in class.
And this may be cold-war era thinking on my part, but I feel that anyone who leaks sensitive information during war time is treasonous and should be punished as a traitor to his/her country.

Fair enough, but what is sensitive, and is it compromising enough to endanger someone? I wouldn't condemn the guy unless he created a situation that endangered people's lives. If even one person was harmed or put at risk because of wikileaks, I'd be up in arms against him.

Return to “The News”