Unrest in the Middle East

Keith
House Elf

Unrest in the Middle East

Postby Keith » Sun Mar 06, 2011 9:07 am

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-middle-east-12480844

I assume people have been following the wave of unrest, demonstrations and outright revolutions across the Middle East and North Africa, which seems to have been wholly unanticipated both there and in the West (as discussed in this article - http://www.ids.ac.uk/go/news/the-people ... orld?em=NE ).

Opinions? The effective civil war in Libya aside, how significant a level of change will all this bring across the region, and is it really a spontaneous outpouring of 'people power'?

Candy Kane
Psychic detective

Re: Unrest in the Middle East

Postby Candy Kane » Sun Mar 06, 2011 2:06 pm

Well, I read through the article, Keith, and I'm still none the wiser. The writer speaks of "levels of paranoia" and "state control" of people's everyday lives, and cites this as an explanation: people have quite simply had enough of this.

I had no clue about any of this stuff before, and I welcome any more explanations that might throw a bit of light on it. As for change, I'm not sure. It doesn't seem to be a religious Taliban-type thing, for which I suppose we should be grateful, but my knowledge of Western history has taught me that revolutions cause huge upheavals, and the aftermath can be very messy as the people responsible work to maintain the momentum and keep control over what they have achieved. The result is that the enslavement and oppression that got the revolution started in the first place can actually get worse immediately - and for a long time after - a new regime takes over.

I could be wrong, but that's what I know about revolutions.
To err is but human, to forgive divine, and to design is AWESOME! :8

merryb
House Elf

Postby merryb » Tue Mar 08, 2011 10:13 pm

Keith wrote:http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-middle-east-12480844

I assume people have been following the wave of unrest, demonstrations and outright revolutions across the Middle East and North Africa, which seems to have been wholly unanticipated both there and in the West (as discussed in this article - http://www.ids.ac.uk/go/news/the-people ... orld?em=NE ).

Opinions? The effective civil war in Libya aside, how significant a level of change will all this bring across the region, and is it really a spontaneous outpouring of 'people power'?

I believe that we'll see the appearance of something like a democratic government for a brief time with elections and everyone here will become euphoric. Then the fundamentalists will run for office and get elected.

I can't shake that poll- 59% want fundamentalism.

The Pew survey found wide streams of opinion in Egypt that seem at the very least inhospitable to democracy. When asked which side they would take in a struggle between “groups who want to modernize the country [and] Islamic fundamentalists,” 59 percent of Egyptians picked the fundamentalists, while 27 percent picked the modernizers.

I don't think there's any chance at all of anything else happening.

Candy Kane
Psychic detective

Postby Candy Kane » Tue Mar 08, 2011 10:15 pm

merryb wrote:I believe that we'll see the appearance of something like a democratic government for a brief time with elections and everyone here will become euphoric. Then the fundamentalists will run for office and get elected.

I can't shake that poll- 59% want fundamentalism.

The Pew survey found wide streams of opinion in Egypt that seem at the very least inhospitable to democracy. When asked which side they would take in a struggle between “groups who want to modernize the country [and] Islamic fundamentalists,” 59 percent of Egyptians picked the fundamentalists, while 27 percent picked the modernizers.

I don't think there's any chance at all of anything else happening.

*Shudder*

MsBrandybuck
Wyvern

Postby MsBrandybuck » Wed Mar 09, 2011 3:05 pm

People tend to stay with what they know.
Change is scary.
"Today is a good day to die."
— Worf

Candy Kane
Psychic detective

Postby Candy Kane » Wed Mar 09, 2011 5:51 pm

True, dat.

Return to “The News”