What happened in Aurora, Colorado...

shireling
Frodo's Stewed Coney

What happened in Aurora, Colorado...

Postby shireling » Sat Jul 21, 2012 12:16 pm

...has happened before - only the times, places and persons were changed.

Here we go again. Another 'brilliant' but deadly screw-up punishing the world around him because he could. And every gun, every bit of ammo, everything he bought, he bought legally and nobody could stop him. Maybe if he'd done one-stop shopping, it might have pricked up a few ears, but he didn't.

Right now, police are delicately picking at his apartment, trying not to blow it and who knows what else to kingdom come.

The last thing I want to hear, is that it's the collective OUR fault. It's not - it never is, never has been, never will be. He did this on his own, it's his fault and he should suffer the consequences as far as can be meted out. What is too bad, is that he cannot be punished to the extent of the deaths and injuries he exacted, and he's done that to all of us. Nobody is unscathed, only the degrees of devastation are varied.

We can hold anybody accountable for his ability to get the stuff - the NRA,
politicians, voters, gun owners, auctions, unlicensed sellers, the Internet, the big box store down the street - but he and he alone, made the buy for reasons known only to him.

I am glad that they caught him as quickly as was done. I am glad that nobody opened the door to his place and walked in, setting off God knows what destruction. The loss of life, of security, peace of mind are beyond words - and those of us who have experienced gun violence, are undoubtedly drawn back to that second in our lives when it happened to us and there was nothing we could do.

I would not want to have ever known him, as those who have, wondering what went wrong, what did they miss, punishing themselves in the years to come for deeds that are no fault of theirs. The only personal gladness I feel, is that he does not belong to me...

And the greatest sadness for those, for whom he does.

"He who learns must suffer. And even in our sleep pain that cannot forget falls drop by drop upon the heart, and in our own despair, against our will, comes wisdom to us by the awful grace of God." - Aeschylus

Avatar courtesy of Candy Kane, Webmistress Extraordinaire and Slayer of Trolls

Return to “The News”