Richard III

shireling
Frodo's Stewed Coney

Richard III

Postby shireling » Wed Sep 12, 2012 8:17 pm

I always felt that Dicky Three had gotten a raw deal! It's going to be a long 12 weeks waiting for the results. :yay: I've never been so happy to hear about a busted cranium and scoliosis :D !

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-leicestershire-19561018
Last edited by shireling on Wed Nov 20, 2013 1:15 pm, edited 2 times in total.

"He who learns must suffer. And even in our sleep pain that cannot forget falls drop by drop upon the heart, and in our own despair, against our will, comes wisdom to us by the awful grace of God." - Aeschylus

Avatar courtesy of Candy Kane, Webmistress Extraordinaire and Slayer of Trolls

TomCotton
Vampire Slayer

Re: Richard III dig: 'Strong evidence' bones are lost king

Postby TomCotton » Wed Sep 12, 2012 8:44 pm

That is very interesting stuff. Like the guy said it is very rare that a name can be associated with a skeleton.
Some say that Richard III did not have his two nephews murdered. Some say he was a very bad person. The winners always seem to write the history so Henry VII's version of things get the most notice.
Of course then there is Shakespeare to contend with. "A horse, a horse, my kingdom for a horse!" :)
§Doug§ AC000000 Eamus Catuli!!!!
Audere est Facere
"Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn’t go away." Philip K. Dick

shireling
Frodo's Stewed Coney

Postby shireling » Thu Sep 13, 2012 12:15 am

He was the last of the Plantagenet kings, and that's my favorite bit of English History. As far as the play goes, it's a very juicy part - you just love to hate the guy.

Just looking at Henry Tudor's portrait, I know he killed the princes :lol: . I just know a weasel when I see one - nothing scientific here.

It would be another mystery laid to rest in my lifetime, along with Anastasia Romanov executed with the rest of her family and Louis XVII dying in prison at the age of 10.

"He who learns must suffer. And even in our sleep pain that cannot forget falls drop by drop upon the heart, and in our own despair, against our will, comes wisdom to us by the awful grace of God." - Aeschylus

Padfoot
Rampaging Blood Elf

Postby Padfoot » Mon Oct 29, 2012 6:14 pm

Any news on the subject? Last I heard was that they were about to compare his DNA to a distant relative (god knows how they find these persons). Wouldn't it be great if history could be re-written? I'm still excited about it!
Imagerichardkf7 by Martina Immel, auf Flickr

shireling
Frodo's Stewed Coney

Postby shireling » Mon Oct 29, 2012 11:36 pm

Padfoot wrote:Any news on the subject? Last I heard was that they were about to compare his DNA to a distant relative (god knows how they find these persons). Wouldn't it be great if history could be re-written? I'm still excited about it!

Well, the story was up on September 12th, and they said it would take about 12 weeks to get the results. I'm looking forward to whatever they find :) .

It is amazing how they find relatives to these guys. Hey, Paddy! You and I might have a common ancestor :) . We might have to go back about 50 generations to find them, but it's possible.

Padfoot
Rampaging Blood Elf

Postby Padfoot » Tue Oct 30, 2012 7:13 am

Let's start and search the family trees! :) :lol:

shireling
Frodo's Stewed Coney

Postby shireling » Thu Nov 01, 2012 12:58 pm

It'd be fun, :) . Someday, when money isn't a problem, I'd like to go whole-hog on Ancestry.com. They have free promotions, but I don't want to start what I can't finish.

I have a gypsy ancestor (maybe a great-grandfather - my dad's mom would allude to him whenever I would disappear for hours on visits to her house); there's probably no paper trail that leads to him. I would really like to know about him.

shireling
Frodo's Stewed Coney

Postby shireling » Thu Nov 15, 2012 6:47 pm

This is the man who is descended from Richard's sister Anne, which would make Richard his uncle 17 generations back :) :

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-19731622

Padfoot
Rampaging Blood Elf

Postby Padfoot » Fri Nov 16, 2012 7:06 am

I was thinking about ist yesterday and thought about asking for any news today. I'm so excited about the results that might come out!

shireling
Frodo's Stewed Coney

Postby shireling » Fri Nov 16, 2012 2:00 pm

Me, too. I really hope it's him. I know it sounds corny but I've been a Plantagenet buff from my teens (the first time I saw Laurence Olivier play him, I was hooked from then on, on the both of them. And my folks had taken us to the drive-in to see "Becket" and "The Lion in Winter", so I already had massive crushes on Becket, Burton, Hal II and O'Toole.) *giggles fondly*

Gosh, "The Hobbit", Christmas and Dickie 3! Bring on December! I feel positively giddy!

Padfoot
Rampaging Blood Elf

Postby Padfoot » Fri Nov 16, 2012 2:07 pm

I've been a Plantagenet buff from my teens

Same here... I've always been interested in history, and it's among my favourite periods of time.

shireling
Frodo's Stewed Coney

Postby shireling » Mon Nov 19, 2012 5:42 pm

I found this today. It was a while ago, but I didn't notice it until now. I had no idea this spot had so much activity in it:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2224256/King-Richard-III-cathedral-burial--skeleton-car-park-500-years-death.html

Padfoot
Rampaging Blood Elf

Postby Padfoot » Wed Nov 21, 2012 6:58 am

The headline sounded like it was already confirmed. I can understand it's a big deal, even the rows about it. He's a very controversial person (and I think most people picture him to be the Shakespearian villain, whether it's true or not).

shireling
Frodo's Stewed Coney

Postby shireling » Wed Nov 21, 2012 1:47 pm

It does. But the condition of the skeleton is what got everybody so excited. I don't think they were expecting to find anything, and at least for me, I'm glad they haven't shown it. It was once a human being, no matter who it is, and deserves dignity.

He's about as controversial as they come - unless you're talkin' Anne Boleyn. And, just speaking for me, I don't think she was any more guilty than I do Richard.

Everything seems to be coming pretty fast - Thanksgiving, The Hobbit, Christmas - only this seems slow :lol: .

Padfoot
Rampaging Blood Elf

Postby Padfoot » Wed Nov 21, 2012 1:52 pm

Anne Boleyn.

Yep. Another interesting person.

And, just speaking for me, I don't think she was any more guilty than I do Richard.

Same here. Henry VIII was more guilty, IMO... I wouldn't want to have lived in those times! One false word (or thought), and your head got chopped off... :wtf:

Return to “The News”