Sad and shocking news

Padfoot
Rampaging Blood Elf

Sad and shocking news

Postby Padfoot » Mon Jan 11, 2016 8:47 am

I'm very sad. Read this morning that David Bowie has died of cancer, just two days after his 69th birthday and the release of his last album "Blackstar".

Don't know what to say other than I'm shocked, sad and I'll miss him.
Imagerichardkf7 by Martina Immel, auf Flickr

TomCotton
Vampire Slayer

Re: Sad and shocking news

Postby TomCotton » Mon Jan 11, 2016 12:29 pm

Yep, some sad news to wake up to. He did give us some very good songs.
§Doug§ AC000000 Eamus Catuli!!!!
Audere est Facere
"Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn’t go away." Philip K. Dick

shireling
Frodo's Stewed Coney

Postby shireling » Mon Jan 11, 2016 1:10 pm

...the stars look very different today :( ...

'By Elbereth and Luthien the Fair, you shall have neither the Ring nor me! Engage!'
Avatar courtesy of Candy Kane, Webmistress Extraordinaire and Slayer of Trolls

shireling
Frodo's Stewed Coney

Postby shireling » Tue Jan 12, 2016 1:56 am

Ziggy Stardust is on the VH-1 Classics Channel Tuesday night - at least through my cable company. I'd never seen it, but I loved the album. God bless you, David :( .

'By Elbereth and Luthien the Fair, you shall have neither the Ring nor me! Engage!'

Padfoot
Rampaging Blood Elf

Postby Padfoot » Tue Jan 12, 2016 10:42 am

I still can't believe it.

And I can't believe "Space Oddity" was released the year I was born (47 years ago! :um: ). It's such a timeless song. So are many of his others.

shireling
Frodo's Stewed Coney

Postby shireling » Tue Jan 12, 2016 6:01 pm

I used to have all of his stuff on vinyl, and I lost a couple of boxes back when I moved to Texas. All I have now is the "Best of David Bowie" CD, and I'm very lucky to have that :lol: . Twenty tunes, 78 minutes and change and the only thing I wish was on there was "Oh You Pretty Things" and "A Couple of Kooks".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pBQ-S6njQQw
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EsSlOGzPM90

I used to sing 'Couple of Kooks' to Mikey *sigh*. I just like it :) ...

Yesterday, at the gym, we were all seeing about David Bowie's death on the overhead TVs. And we're these 60-70 something men and women, just jaws dropping (some people actually teared up), and I'm realizing that we're all his contemporaries - he was barely 8 years my senior. None of us look like the grandparents we had. We're straighter, taller in some cases, our bones are better, most of us have the lion's share of our teeth, and, in some cases, it's only our hair color (or lack) and skin-tone, that gives us away.

We're so much younger than they were. And the bunch of us, doing the weights, etc., all the while watching this lovely, androgynous boy perform on the screen. I always imagine him as Ariel from The Tempest, no matter who's playing the role, he's David Bowie.
As far as I'm concerned, they might as well change the name of the character :lol: .

Padfoot
Rampaging Blood Elf

Postby Padfoot » Wed Jan 13, 2016 7:33 am

The last time I felt like that, it was when Michael Hutchence died. I was such a huge INXS fan, and it literally knocked me out for weeks (I was ill at the time anyway, but I lost my voice for nearly six weeks). Coincidentally, I'm ill at the moment as well (heavy cold) and I feel like I'm losing my voice again (not to mentioning the tearing up as soon as a Bowie song is on the radio)... :paperbag:

shireling
Frodo's Stewed Coney

Postby shireling » Wed Jan 13, 2016 3:53 pm

I'm so very sorry, sweetheart :hug: :hug: :hug: *wraps you up in my best velvety throw with a mug full of La Pinata's Chicken Soup* (it is the best - sometimes I just eat it because I'm hungry; from a Mexican restaurant down Rt. 48 - they also make incredible salsa that could double as a poultice for congestion (pack it in gauze and apply it to your chest until it stops stinging - fixes you up in no time.)

All kidding aside, I watched Ziggy Stardust this morning. It was a two-hour concert movie and Bowie was just, well, out of this world (Major Tom and Starman.) Amazing man, terrific performer...my heart goes out to his family and friends.

Padfoot
Rampaging Blood Elf

Postby Padfoot » Thu Jan 14, 2016 12:54 pm

The sad news just don't stop. Alan Rickman died today, also at age 69. I'm out of words... :cry: :cry:

shireling
Frodo's Stewed Coney

Postby shireling » Thu Jan 14, 2016 4:07 pm

Your's is the second mention that I've seen :( . I just caught a glimpse of the crawl across the bottom of the screen before Duane and I went out this morning. When I told him, he said, "Snape?" That's right where my head went too. So very, very sad. Funny guy, if you've ever seen him interviewed. And not long ago I saw him in Sense and Sensibility, where he played Colonel Brandon. He was so sweet and sensitive in that - I'd never thought of him as a romantic lead ever (the first film I remember seeing him in was Die Hard.)

I don't know what else to say either, Paddy. *tears* Galaxy Quest - one of my favorite movies - is on later today, and 'by Grabthar's Hammer', I'm going to watch it.

shireling
Frodo's Stewed Coney

Postby shireling » Thu Jan 14, 2016 7:35 pm

And Truly, Madly, Deeply...

...2016 has already lost the race for my favorite year...

TomCotton
Vampire Slayer

Postby TomCotton » Fri Jan 15, 2016 12:23 am

Alan Rickman Dies at age 69

Also Love, Actually which also has a bunch of other big names in UK movie making.

I always liked the characters he played. Very versatile.
§Doug§ AC000000 Eamus Catuli!!!!
Audere est Facere
"Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn’t go away." Philip K. Dick

Padfoot
Rampaging Blood Elf

Postby Padfoot » Fri Jan 15, 2016 7:51 am

I really, really loved Alan Rickman as an actor. All of those movies mentioned above are among my favourites. I'd like to add "Snow Cake" to the list.

...2016 has already lost the race for my favorite year...

Yes... :(

shireling
Frodo's Stewed Coney

Postby shireling » Fri Jan 15, 2016 5:39 pm

I forgot all about Snow Cake. I stumbled onto it two years ago - with Sigourney Weaver; don't think I saw it from the beginning - I can't remember how they meet. You know how you're channel surfing, and all of a sudden you see someone who's work you love? It was like that. I do have to see it again because all I can remember now is her putting/removing the 'snow cake' from the freezer - and a cop pulling him over? This is bad :lol: ! I need to stop and just watch it!

Alan and his wife, Rima, were together from the time they were kids (he was 19, she 18.) How terrific is that? *sigh*

shireling
Frodo's Stewed Coney

Postby shireling » Sun Jan 17, 2016 3:06 pm

"David Bowie died, Alan Rickman died, and 50 Shades of Grey was nominated for an Oscar. This is the bleak dystopian hellscape this week has wrought."

@jennytrout (via badromancenovelquotes)

Hey, that’s me! :D

(via jennytrout)

(Source: badromancenovelquotes, via flange5)

I actually heard this in the voice of C-3PO as I read it...

Return to “The News”