Sad and shocking news

shireling
Frodo's Stewed Coney

Re: Sad and shocking news

Postby shireling » Tue Dec 27, 2016 7:12 pm

I don't think it's just you.

It's been absolutely terrible - the deaths, yes, more of those of people that I've long admired. Quite a few were in their 80's, and while sad and unexpected simply because we're fans and don't know what they're going through, it's a shock. But young people, like Carrie Fisher (and Bowie, Rickman, and many others from age 48 to 70)...*sigh*...just unbelievable the number. And the suicides, accidents, opioid deaths, and heart attacks among the folks in my circle and friends & family of friends.

In addition the endless, ruinous wars, the hatred and bloodshed, bigotry and prejudice - and the brazen openness of these last two! The rise of the Alt-Right across the world...insane. Simply insane. And the refusal to see the harm that comes from all these last mentioned...

I need to call my nephew. I took him to see "The Empire Strikes Back" when he was seven, and can still remember that one Christmas when at the last minute, I found a Darth Vader Action Figure under a pile in Toys R Us, for him. He's the only one I can talk to that would get it...

'By Elbereth and Luthien the Fair, you shall have neither the Ring nor me! Engage!'
Avatar courtesy of Candy Kane, Webmistress Extraordinaire and Slayer of Trolls

shireling
Frodo's Stewed Coney

Postby shireling » Thu Dec 29, 2016 2:07 am

...Debbie Reynolds died today...

She had a stroke at her son, Todd Fisher's home (at first, she had trouble breathing) while making arrangements for Carrie's funeral, and was rushed to the hospital. She was 84-years-old; a dynamite actress, singer, dancer - just an all-around ace performer. I remember reading she was discovered by Gene Kelly, when she was just barely out her teens...:( ...The Unsinkable Molly Brown is my favorite movie of hers.

Two incredible women - gone, just like that - like blowing out a candle...

'By Elbereth and Luthien the Fair, you shall have neither the Ring nor me! Engage!'

Padfoot
Rampaging Blood Elf

Postby Padfoot » Thu Dec 29, 2016 8:29 am

It might sound creepy, but I feared as much. They were so close, even if their relationship was rocky sometimes. My thoughts are with Todd and Billie who lost their closest family members within 48 hours. That is almost unbearable.

I loved Miss Reynolds on screen. Imagine doing a film like "Singing in the rain" when she was only 19 years old. It looks so easy, but I know it was incredibly hard work.
Imagerichardkf7 by Martina Immel, auf Flickr

shireling
Frodo's Stewed Coney

Postby shireling » Thu Dec 29, 2016 3:03 pm

I learned more about that this morning. She had never danced professionally, and the rehearsals were over a 3 month period. Kelly didn't want her cast in the movie, but she showed him.

Padfoot
Rampaging Blood Elf

Postby Padfoot » Fri Dec 30, 2016 8:51 am

Yes, I read about it. Kelly objected to her because he thought she was too young and she wasn't a professional dancer and wouldn't fulfill his high standards. But she practised so hard her feet were bleeding, and she proved him wrong. I tell you, this lady had an iron will and - in her own way - was as unsinkable as Molly Brown. Otherwise she wouldn't have survived what happened to her. Her first husband left her for another woman - one could deal with that. But the second gambled away her money, so she worked hard to make a decent living for her children and herself. Then the third took away her newly gained money as well, and all started anew. Without iron discipline and the respective iron will, one doesn't survive that many blows.

Carrie was made of the same stuff. They might have been no more than 5' tall, but on the inside, these ladies were at least 7' tall.

shireling
Frodo's Stewed Coney

Postby shireling » Fri Dec 30, 2016 1:08 pm

"YES! Can I get an AMEN?"

Padfoot
Rampaging Blood Elf

Postby Padfoot » Wed Feb 08, 2017 7:44 am

RIP Richard Hatch. You will always be my favourite Captain Apollo. Good bye :cry:

shireling
Frodo's Stewed Coney

Postby shireling » Wed Feb 08, 2017 3:53 pm

Oh my gosh! :(

shireling
Frodo's Stewed Coney

Postby shireling » Tue Feb 21, 2017 3:22 pm

I'm late in mentioning John Hurt. He's always been a favorite of mine. The last film I saw him in was Only Lovers Left Alive, in which he played Christopher Marlowe, a vampire to Tom Hiddleston & Tilda Swinton's. I love that movie - it's a very guilty pleasure of mine :D .

But then this morning I read that David Cassidy has dementia. The first time I ever saw him was on Marcus Welby, M.D. I found a clip but it doesn't say what his diagnosis was, and I can't remember what it was.

shireling
Frodo's Stewed Coney

Postby shireling » Sun Feb 26, 2017 10:06 pm

Bill Paxton is gone at age 61. Sixty-one-years-old. Unbelieveable :( .

shireling
Frodo's Stewed Coney

Postby shireling » Sun Feb 26, 2017 10:18 pm

theatomicboom:

the white house is now barring everyone but super conservative news organizations in on briefings and claims the ones who aren’t allowed are “enemies of the state”, this should scare everyone...

For the record: CNN, BBC, Politico, NYT, Buzzfeed, LA Times, the Daily Mail, The Hill, New York Daily News, and much of the foreign press were not permitted to attend. The AP and TIME are boycotting

THIS IS NOT NORMAL.

(via flange5)

This is also sad and shocking, but not surprising anymore. Every single day is like this, and the next time I run into that couple, who were so sure that that man was going to turn into Ronald Reagan the day after The Inauguration, I'll ask them if THIS was the Dutch they remember.

Padfoot
Rampaging Blood Elf

Postby Padfoot » Wed Mar 01, 2017 1:34 pm

I read about Bill Paxton and I was really shocked.

Trump news aren't surprising anymore. I just wait for the segretation law to be reintroduced. Shouldn't take very long. And yes, I'm being cynical. Trump brings out the very worst.

shireling
Frodo's Stewed Coney

Postby shireling » Wed Mar 01, 2017 4:52 pm

Remember awhile back when you were saying that you might move because of the neo-nazis? And I said you could come here, if you didn't mind Trump? I never would have thought this would happen, never in my wildest dreams.

I talked to people throughout the campaigns, and you always knew who was a trumpee, because they would tell you that they watch all the news channels. And I've tried to watch Fox, but I can't go more than 30 seconds at any one time. That's how long I've found it takes for them to say something absurd.

If I can say anything good about this at all, it's that some people are having buyer's remorse, and they finally seem to be paying attention; I say better late than never. All of the signs are gone from our neighborhood. Some folks are still clinging on, and there are some that I know - one lady in my book club, for instance - who is never going to admit she made a bad choice.

Seriously, we need to get to the bottom of the Putin thing...

Padfoot
Rampaging Blood Elf

Postby Padfoot » Sat Mar 11, 2017 2:05 pm

Yes, I remember... And now he's targeting former Pres. Obama again. I wonder if he (Obama) is granted security guards, he might need them.

Padfoot
Rampaging Blood Elf

Postby Padfoot » Fri May 12, 2017 5:52 pm

Geoffrey Bayldon aka "Catweazle" has died on Wednesday, he was 93 years old. :( As children, we loved the show so much!

Return to “The News”