Sad and shocking news

shireling
Frodo's Stewed Coney

Re: Sad and shocking news

Postby shireling » Fri May 12, 2017 10:20 pm

I found this on YouTube:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EAVjtmbUHFo

I'd never heard of him, and I'm sorry about that, especially since I love time-travel shows. RIP Mr. Bayldon.

'By Elbereth and Luthien the Fair, you shall have neither the Ring nor me! Engage!'
Avatar courtesy of Candy Kane, Webmistress Extraordinaire and Slayer of Trolls

Padfoot
Rampaging Blood Elf

Postby Padfoot » Sat May 13, 2017 12:29 pm

Oh, we loved him as children. The "tellingbone" (telephone), the "elec-trickery" etc. - it was just such a fun show and it had a certain wittiness, it was everything else but dumb .
Imagerichardkf7 by Martina Immel, auf Flickr

shireling
Frodo's Stewed Coney

Postby shireling » Mon May 22, 2017 10:59 pm

Explosion at Manchester Arena

This news is 10 minutes old at my time of posting
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2017/05 ... explosion/

'By Elbereth and Luthien the Fair, you shall have neither the Ring nor me! Engage!'

Padfoot
Rampaging Blood Elf

Postby Padfoot » Wed May 24, 2017 4:33 am

Devastating news. 22 dead, around 60 injured. Latest news have it that the assassinator is allegedly English-born, his parents migrated from Libya. ISIS already claimed responsibility (they claim everything for themselves if it doesn't run away fast enough), but I doubt it was a co-ordinated attack, IMO, it probably was one random radical who might have connections to the ISIS. Arrests have been made.

On a completely different subject:
This is what Trump (sorry but I refuse to call him President) wrote into Yad Vashem's guestbook while visiting Israel (scroll down):
http://www.t-online.de/nachrichten/ausland/usa/id_81260874/holocaust-gedenkstaette-donald-trump-loest-eklat-in-yad-vashem-aus.html

So he thought it was "amazing" eh? :paperbag: Maybe Jared ought to give him some history lessons?

shireling
Frodo's Stewed Coney

Postby shireling » Wed May 24, 2017 9:40 am

Padfoot wrote:Devastating news. 22 dead, around 60 injured. Latest news have it that the assassinator is allegedly English-born, his parents migrated from Libya. ISIS already claimed responsibility (they claim everything for themselves if it doesn't run away fast enough), but I doubt it was a co-ordinated attack, IMO, it probably was one random radical who might have connections to the ISIS. Arrests have been made.

*sigh* I don't know what to say anymore. There's another incident here in Florida where a Neo-nazi 'convert' to Islam, killed his 2 roommates because they 'disrespected his faith.' :/ So, you've got a fanatic racist, who now claims to be a Muslim, and he does this.

Note to everybody: REAL Muslims - like real Christians, Jews, Buddhists, Hindus, Wiccans, Baha'is - don't do these things! Each and every one has The Golden Rule (love God with all your heart, soul and mind, and your neighbor as yourself.) Period. People are going to say stuff, people are people and they can be dumb and insensitive at times. As a religious minority, I've had everything from taunts to death threats. If I behaved at this guy did, I'd be on death row. It's not important what others say - or do. It's what you say and do in response.

On a completely different subject:
This is what Trump (sorry but I refuse to call him President) wrote into Yad Vashem's guestbook while visiting Israel (scroll down):
http://www.t-online.de/nachrichten/ausland/usa/id_81260874/holocaust-gedenkstaette-donald-trump-loest-eklat-in-yad-vashem-aus.html

It's okay, Paddy - I can't call him that either :lol: .

So he thought it was "amazing" eh? :paperbag: Maybe Jared ought to give him some history lessons?

From what I see with him, he has about a twelve second attention span. He is what he is, and is incapable of change. I am so tired of hearing people say, "Well he didn't screw that up", like he's improving? It's almost like you're praising a puppy for holding it as you run it out the door. You know that the dog is going to figure it out eventually, but Trump won't. There's no continuum from one situation to the next, no learning, no social skills - :bang: .

I think the kids have tried, but they're so beholding to him that they can't do what's necessary. On that subject, I found a recording of John Gielgud as King Lear and I'm down to the final act. Ivanka is the one he listens to, and she needs to channel her inner Cordelia big time. But I don't think she can. There was one time I told my dad exactly what I thought and he disowned me - for about an hour. She needs to do that, and tell him what the consequences will be with her and the grandkids if he doesn't.

Don't anybody hold their breath :roll: .

shireling
Frodo's Stewed Coney

Postby shireling » Sat May 27, 2017 9:50 pm

Greg Allman, 69-years-old, gone from liver cancer :( .

I'm sorry I didn't mention Chris Cornell's passing earlier; it was terrible, only 52, leaving a wife and three kids. The death's causes were different, but I feel like suicide, at times, is the only way some folks can escape. I wonder, if, at some point, we might find that the brains of suicides have altered wiring and that for some, there is no way for them. In any case, my heart is broken for these guys' families and friends.

And for the good folks of Manchester, as they lay their loves to rest and begin the healing of those who survived, I love you and wish you most well.

shireling
Frodo's Stewed Coney

Postby shireling » Sun May 28, 2017 2:07 am

2 ‘Heroes’ Stabbed To Death Standing Up To Muslim Hate In Portland
Police arrested a 35-year-old man with white supremacist ties after the attack.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/por ... mg00000009

:cry: I'd be proud to call these guys brothers :cry:

Padfoot
Rampaging Blood Elf

Postby Padfoot » Mon May 29, 2017 7:22 am

14 people arrested following the Manchester attack, the brothers of the suicide bomer among them. Police is doing some good work.

On a different subject: Watching the president of a country (ANY country) blundering about and bullying his way around is sad and shocking news, too. I'm sorry, but Trump is ruining the office. He acts like the proverbial elephant bull in the china shop. Ignorant as hell. And claiming that he just made millions of jobs for Americans via Twitter... :paperbag:

1. Somebody ought to take away his phone/computer and make sure he hasn't access to social media.
2. Somebody ought to tell him he's fired.
3. Lock him up for good, if necessary, in a padded cell...

I wonder if he had anything to say about Brigitte Macron?

shireling
Frodo's Stewed Coney

Postby shireling » Mon May 29, 2017 12:25 pm

Padfoot wrote:...On a different subject: Watching the president of a country (ANY country) blundering about and bullying his way around is sad and shocking news, too. I'm sorry, but Trump is ruining the office. He acts like the proverbial elephant bull in the china shop. Ignorant as hell. And claiming that he just made millions of jobs for Americans via Twitter... :paperbag:

1. Somebody ought to take away his phone/computer and make sure he hasn't access to social media.
2. Somebody ought to tell him he's fired.
3. Lock him up for good, if necessary, in a padded cell...

I wonder if he had anything to say about Brigitte Macron?

And I was just wondering about the people who used to post in this forum, the ones who were afraid of President Obama? Well, what do they think of him now? Miss him yet?

When Trump pushed aside the President of Moldova (actually, turns out it was Montenegro :blushy: - sorry) the brand-new member of NATO, he just pushes to the front, adjusts his jacket and poses. :paperbag: To paraphrase a line from Mark Twain's The Prince and the Pauper, "Would that I had a bag to hide (HIS) head in!"

The sad fact is that he is not going anywhere until the Republicans get their tax cut, if then. The honorable men of 1973 are not to be found today. Trump's 'clan' - whom he takes wherever he goes - is on the taxpayers' dime; we are paying for the Secret Service protection of these parasites. I wish more Americans were as upset as you are, Paddy, and that they voted accordingly. Which led me to this...

Welcome, everybody, to your Moment of Zen and Continuing Education

There Are None So Blind As Those Who Will Not See:

• According to the ‘Random House Dictionary of Popular Proverbs and Sayings’ this proverb has been traced back to 1546 (John Heywood), and resembles the Biblical verse Jeremiah 5:21 (‘Hear now this, O foolish people, and without understanding; which have eyes, and see not; which have ears, and hear not’). In 1738 it was used by Jonathan Swift in his ‘Polite Conversation’ and is first attested in the United States in the 1713 ‘Works of Thomas Chalkley’. The full saying is:

‘There are none so blind as those who will not see. The most deluded people are those who choose to ignore what they already know’.

Padfoot
Rampaging Blood Elf

Postby Padfoot » Fri Jun 02, 2017 1:39 pm

The elephant visited another china shop... :shruggy: :shruggy:

shireling
Frodo's Stewed Coney

Postby shireling » Fri Jun 02, 2017 11:42 pm

shireling
Frodo's Stewed Coney

Postby shireling » Sat Jun 03, 2017 3:59 pm

Btw, I don't like what Kathy Griffin did. It's hard to believe that for someone so smart, she could be so stupid.

There have been hundreds of beheadings committed by those bastards in ISIL, etc. - not to mention that there's children in the Trump family that love this man. God knows, we're not crazy about him - personally, I can't stand him - but, to these little kids, he's Daddy to Barron, and Grandpa to the rest.

What on earth possessed her to do this? Didn't anybody try to talk her out of it - like the guy taking the pictures? Doesn't she have an agent? And now, now she wants to double-down? She wants to do worse? Worse than this?

Kathy, do us all a favor. If you can't simply kvetch like the rest of us, shut up! Or at least, pay attention to Alec Baldwin. He's got your best interests at heart, even if your so-called 'friends' don't.

Padfoot
Rampaging Blood Elf

Postby Padfoot » Sun Jun 04, 2017 8:54 am

Yes, I read about it yesterday, and I wondered what on earth brought her to do that. It's not comedy or satire, it's just plain stupid, and it's even below Trump's low level - and THAT says something. I wonder if someone "advised" her in that matter. If so, this person should be fired.

Waking up to more terrible news. Oh London :cry: :(

BTW:
https://twitter.com/AdamWeinstein/status/871183168430383107

https://twitter.com/AdamWeinstein/status/871224591020171264

shireling
Frodo's Stewed Coney

Postby shireling » Sun Jun 04, 2017 10:48 am

shireling
Frodo's Stewed Coney

Postby shireling » Sat Jun 10, 2017 10:34 pm

For cryin' out loud! This is shameful.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/mar ... mg00000009

Return to “The News”