How do you like your horror?

The Thing under your bed; The footsteps on the stairs at night; The pale, dead eyes watching you in the dark outside your window - They're ALL in here. Come and join them...
Candy Kane
Psychic detective

How do you like your horror?

Postby Candy Kane » Fri Sep 24, 2010 4:18 pm

I doubt we'd fill a thread about writers such as Shaun Hutson and James Herbert, but they don't half give me the willies.

Has anybody else read stories by either of these, or writers like them?

Hutson tends to go for the jugular, describing gruesome scenes of revolting nastiness, particularly where dying or mutilation -- or both -- are concerned. Ritual is a prime example of this.

Herbert likes to put the wind up you and keep you shuddering for days. Survivor did that to me. My goodness, it was creepy!

So, which do you prefer, horror-wise: creepy or gross? Tell us which -- and why, and give some examples.
To err is but human, to forgive divine, and to design is AWESOME! :8

Cassie
Wyvern

Re: How do you like your horror?

Postby Cassie » Sat Sep 25, 2010 2:02 am

I have read stuff by both of them over the years, but not lately. It depends what I want out of the book, sometimes I don't want to be scared ;) The gross at least doesn't bother me that much, except to say "Eww" occasionally, but a book that does the suspense side of it, and has you checking under your bed for the next two weeks has done its job I say :D I wish I could give you examples but I just haven't read any horror lately :/
[Under Construction]

Candy Kane
Psychic detective

Postby Candy Kane » Sat Sep 25, 2010 9:29 am

James Herbert does creepy very well. A friend of mine read The Rats and shuddered every time she saw something move on the tracks when she went on the Underground. Job done!

I've read all of the trilogy and loved them all.

Survivor's scenes of a church full of ghosts from a plane crash scaring the vicar were classic. Shrine had a witch character who could have caused a nasty accident when she showed up in the back of a car, and The Ghosts of Sleath caused weird weather and brought up some new ghost lore with the idea that ghosts from different ages can talk to each other and exchange ideas.

Has anybody read Dean Koontz? Stephen King describes him as "The guy I read."

Shuggy
Wyvern
Location: Navigating Defecation Creek Without Any Oars Whatsoever.

Postby Shuggy » Sat Sep 25, 2010 11:14 am

I've read lots of Herbert but no Hutson. Dunno why I've never read Hutson - him and Herbert, King and Barker were kind of the who's who of early 80's Horror.

I simply cannot get on with Koontz.
"Your Mother Cooks Socks in Hell!"

Candy Kane
Psychic detective

Postby Candy Kane » Sat Sep 25, 2010 11:45 am

What do you dislike about Koontz?

Shuggy
Wyvern

Postby Shuggy » Sat Sep 25, 2010 2:21 pm

I hoped nobody would ask! Simple answer - I don't know, really! His writing just doesn't grip me... That's the best way I can put it!

Candy Kane
Psychic detective

Postby Candy Kane » Sat Sep 25, 2010 2:27 pm

I find his work to be a bit facile. There was one he wrote with Stephen King about a drug being introduced into the water supply, and in conjunction with subliminal messages, the idea was to control a small town as an experiment. If that succeeded, they'd do it on a bigger scale.

Things worked a bit too easily and I found I had to do a lot of suspending my disbelief.

I like King's early work, particularly when he wrote as Richard Bachman, but his later stuff is a bit... well... lazy. Bag of Bones and Gerald's Game I found unsatisfying because he opted to get all gross and perverted instead of getting on with the story. It annoys me when writers do that. Tell me something that advances or explains the narrative, and I'm sorted. Dump some corpse-raping perv on us, who then disappears and/or gets arrested, and I get nauseous, then bored.

I find that Koontz is a lot like that, though I've only read one book, to be fair, and that was the collaboration with King.

TomCotton
Vampire Slayer

Postby TomCotton » Sat Sep 25, 2010 4:06 pm

I read a book by Koontz called Whispers. It was pretty good.
Wikipedia gives away the whole show in the posted article about the book. Nimrods. :roll:
§Doug§ AC000000 Eamus Catuli!!!!
Audere est Facere
"Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn’t go away." Philip K. Dick

Candy Kane
Psychic detective

Postby Candy Kane » Sat Sep 25, 2010 4:09 pm

Well, that's no fun! What other horror stories do you like?

I've got a thing for old classic horror anthologies. Am I the only one who's read many of the Pan book of horror stories?

TomCotton
Vampire Slayer

Postby TomCotton » Sat Sep 25, 2010 4:57 pm

I like the ideas that H. P. Lovecraft expounds on in his stories. The writing style is not much, though. He seems to spend more time telling you that you should be horrified instead of writing something that would horrify you.

I like my horror to make me think that something might just be plausible. Bloody, gross out stuff or things jumping out of the dark to startle are fine for shock value.

The stuff that wakens deep primordial fears and makes you think that there is something very bad out there is what I really like. :um:

The Haunting movie from 1963 is one of the best horror films IMO.
§Doug§ AC000000 Eamus Catuli!!!!
Audere est Facere
"Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn’t go away." Philip K. Dick

Candy Kane
Psychic detective

Postby Candy Kane » Sat Sep 25, 2010 5:03 pm

That's the allure James Herbert has for me. The Rats made you think that rats might *just* go nuts and think of us as dinner.

Edit: Stephen King's Misery had the same effect. You dirty bird! Oh, that Annie. Scarrrreeeeee!

Shuggy
Wyvern

Postby Shuggy » Sat Sep 25, 2010 7:09 pm

I enjoyed the hell out of 'Misery', but at no point was I scared or horrified; great sense of tension though.

Since I was about 10, 'Pet Semetary' is the only book I have ever read that made the hair on the back of my neck go up.. :um: .

'Gerald's Game' bored the crap out of me in the main - I was losing the will to live when King took a whole chapter to describe how the woman (forget her name) breaks a glass so she can cut her hands free, in between tedious hallucinations :thud: ...

Cassie
Wyvern

Postby Cassie » Sat Sep 25, 2010 8:19 pm

I've just never really enjoyed King much. Needful Things was alright, but I hated the ending on Dreamcatchers. I watched a tv adaptation of The Langoliers a few years back and it was pretty suspenseful until you actually get to see them and they were fuzzy-wuzzy little balls with big teeth :roll:
[Under Construction]

shireling
Frodo's Stewed Coney

Postby shireling » Sat Sep 25, 2010 8:41 pm

Yeah, like tribbles with chompers.

"He who learns must suffer. And even in our sleep pain that cannot forget falls drop by drop upon the heart, and in our own despair, against our will, comes wisdom to us by the awful grace of God." - Aeschylus

Avatar courtesy of Candy Kane, Webmistress Extraordinaire and Slayer of Trolls

Cassie
Wyvern

Postby Cassie » Sat Sep 25, 2010 8:49 pm

shireling wrote:Yeah, like tribbles with chompers.

:lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

Shireling you captured it perfectly!
[Under Construction]

Return to “Horror”