Eagle Cam! Watch Live!

Can't have one without the other! Come and sharpen your intellect on the cutting edge.
shireling
Frodo's Stewed Coney

Eagle Cam! Watch Live!

Postby shireling » Thu Mar 17, 2016 8:08 am

Bald eagles, Mr. President and The First Lady have two eggs in the nest, and we're on eaglet patrol!

http://dceaglecam.eagles.org/

'By Elbereth and Luthien the Fair, you shall have neither the Ring nor me! Engage!'
Avatar courtesy of Candy Kane, Webmistress Extraordinaire and Slayer of Trolls

shireling
Frodo's Stewed Coney

Re: Eagle Cam! Watch Live!

Postby shireling » Thu Mar 17, 2016 8:11 am

Picture of our pip in progress! You can zoom in to see the crack in the egg shell!

https://www.flickr.com/photos/94664847@ ... 069922069/

'By Elbereth and Luthien the Fair, you shall have neither the Ring nor me! Engage!'

shireling
Frodo's Stewed Coney

Postby shireling » Fri Mar 18, 2016 1:26 pm

I just saw both eagles on the nest, eating what looks like a fish...the father just flew off. I think the one baby is completely hatched, but I haven't seen it yet. Oh, this is so cool!

shireling
Frodo's Stewed Coney

Postby shireling » Fri Mar 18, 2016 3:34 pm

We have eaglet! :D

shireling
Frodo's Stewed Coney

Postby shireling » Fri Mar 18, 2016 11:40 pm

I just caught the baby being fed - I can't tell who is sitting on the nest right now. It's amazing how gentle the parents are with those beaks!

shireling
Frodo's Stewed Coney

Postby shireling » Sun Mar 20, 2016 1:52 pm

The second chick is pipping, and maybe the next time we can see under the adult, there'll be a second hatchling.

It's been pointed out that this is a wild nest and there won't be any human intervention in the event of sibling rivalry, bad weather, predators or - I'm supposing - the demise of one of the adults (I don't like it; Jacque Cousteau and his crew got between battling elephant seals to save the pups from crushment and other such, but there it is.)

So, it's going to be tough to watch at times :( .

shireling
Frodo's Stewed Coney

Postby shireling » Sun May 15, 2016 3:28 pm

Got a fright this morning. I only saw one eaglet and Mr. President, until the other leaned into camera frame.

shireling
Frodo's Stewed Coney

Postby shireling » Sun May 15, 2016 3:28 pm

Got a fright this morning. I only saw one eaglet and Mr. President, until the other leaned into camera frame.

TomCotton
Vampire Slayer

Postby TomCotton » Sun May 15, 2016 10:42 pm

That is pretty neat watching those eagles do their thing.
§Doug§ AC000000 Eamus Catuli!!!!
Audere est Facere
"Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn’t go away." Philip K. Dick

shireling
Frodo's Stewed Coney

Postby shireling » Mon May 16, 2016 11:45 am

It is. I've tuned into a couple of other nests and they haven't been as fortunate as these. And then there's that one in Pennsylvania that had a cat brought to the nest. It was a bit of shock at first, but hey, the kids have gotta eat.

I remember Ben Franklin wanted the turkey for the national bird. He found the toms majestic, and besides, you can eat them and their eggs; eagles, on the other hand, sometimes eat carrion, which he found appalling. Now that surprises me, because especially for a man like him - inventer of the Franklin stove, founder of fire departments and libraries, catcher of lightning in a bottle, and appreciator of the gratitude older women - that he wouldn't have found that to be a public service. But, nobody's perfect :) .

They are beautiful birds, and it's such a treat to see them in flight.

shireling
Frodo's Stewed Coney

Postby shireling » Tue May 31, 2016 1:22 pm

I can't get over how big these eaglets have gotten! They are just bouncing all around the nest, flapping and climbing up the limbs - sometimes out of camera range and my heart just stops a second until I figure out where they are. The father brought them a fish yesterday evening, and they are as big as he is.

They tore off pieces for themselves and retired to eat on their own. Mr. Pres still tries to feed them, but they're capable of doing it on their own (I just hope they are a bit less cocky when it comes to hunting and pay attention to what they're being taught.) These first couple of years are going to be tough; they've got to feed themselves, and most die from starvation from what I've read. Fortunately, they'll eat carrion - if they can beat the buzzards to it. This is such a trip! I am so glad it's been available :D !

shireling
Frodo's Stewed Coney

Postby shireling » Wed Jun 01, 2016 11:43 pm

Another day, and the eaglets are busy snatching whole chunks of food from mom and dad. As soon as they can, off they scurry to the other side of nest. Lots of preening being done - they look almost fully fledged.

shireling
Frodo's Stewed Coney

Postby shireling » Thu Jun 02, 2016 10:13 pm

Beautiful wings on these babies. And weeks ago they were just fluff. I'm glad our kids don't grow this fast.

shireling
Frodo's Stewed Coney

Postby shireling » Sun Jun 05, 2016 11:02 pm

The elder eaglet - Freedom - fledged and is out of the nest! You can see it here:

https://www.facebook.com/cheryl.loheit/ ... =2&theater

Last I saw, that baby's in a tree some 50 yards away and 75 feet up. Liberty was still in the nest as of 5:30 PM EST.

shireling
Frodo's Stewed Coney

Postby shireling » Mon Jun 06, 2016 11:03 pm

Both eaglets have flown. Don't know where - can't get any cam action. I saw both parents bring fish to the nest, even vocalizing as they seemed to be looking around for the kids. Will they learn how to hunt? Do they already know - you know, instinct? I hope they do well, I really do...

Return to “Science & Technology”