Eagle Cam! Watch Live!

Can't have one without the other! Come and sharpen your intellect on the cutting edge.
shireling
Frodo's Stewed Coney

Re: Eagle Cam! Watch Live!

Postby shireling » Sat Jun 11, 2016 7:12 pm

The eaglets have both come and gone from the nest - right now they're perched above it. They seem to be doing okay, coming and going from the trees and back to base where Mom and Dad have brought them dinner. They've had fish, gopher, duck - a couple of times - but mostly fish. They are just incredibly beautiful big birds.

'By Elbereth and Luthien the Fair, you shall have neither the Ring nor me! Engage!'
Avatar courtesy of Candy Kane, Webmistress Extraordinaire and Slayer of Trolls

shireling
Frodo's Stewed Coney

Postby shireling » Fri Jun 17, 2016 10:58 pm

They've settled into a routine, where twice a day the kids come back to the nest for breakfast and supper. Mom and dad bring mostly fish - they might have a nibble - or twelve - themselves before leaving the rest for the fledglings. I watch for Liberty to get his share (I call him Paul), and sometimes he's able to before Jessica (a.k.a. Freedom) snatches it first.

She might get the lot, but her mealtimes are anything but leisurely, with baby brother trying to grab his share throughout. Good for him. Hang in there, little boy!

'By Elbereth and Luthien the Fair, you shall have neither the Ring nor me! Engage!'

shireling
Frodo's Stewed Coney

Postby shireling » Sat Jun 18, 2016 12:26 am

'Paul' is eating a fish that Dad brought him. I know it's Dad because he has a tiny white feather between his shoulders, and his head always looks well groomed (Mom, on the other hand, has feather-bed head. She's bigger than her hubby - of the two kids, 'Jessica' is practically the same size as Mom.) 'Paul' is the same size as Dad, and looks like he has darker hair.

He has the whole fish to himself; nobody tasted it ahead of time. I've noticed that they eat from the tail to the head; sometimes the fish is still moving, almost the whole time, the gills opening and closing to the beat of Stayin' Alive.

I love birds. I love that we have proof that once, millions of years ago, they were dinosaurs. Canaries were velociraptors! I don't know which were what, but I love dinosaurs, too, and the fact that we didn't lose them altogether. Watching ostriches and cassowaries, rheas and emus - also pelicans! Man, they are so much like pterodactyls! But, there's something about eagles, hawks and falcons. Everyday I spot them, mostly red tailed hawks around here. Amazing, just so cool...

shireling
Frodo's Stewed Coney

Postby shireling » Thu Jun 23, 2016 3:36 pm

I can't get over how big and beautiful these babies have become in just a few months. You'd never know it to look at them that they were a couple of eggs in February. Right now they're perched above the nest - I think I must have missed a feeding by 30 minutes or so. There was a very heavy rain yesterday morning, and the male juvenile was dancing away, letting it get all over him. In some ways, it reminded me of some of the First Nation dancers I've seen - probably the inspiration for them.

shireling
Frodo's Stewed Coney

Postby shireling » Tue Jul 05, 2016 11:18 am

The eaglets are still coming back to the nest tree, and are eating there a couple of times a day. Off in the distance, I've noticed that the parents going off to hunt will nudge the youngsters to follow. They may be doing this for quite a while - I know they've got the instincts, but the practice is tough.

I was watching a cheetah with her four cubs on a nature special last night. The kids are about 8 months old, and she's done an amazing job getting all of them to this point. So, she's spotted an antelope, and all five start stalking it. It's a healthy young male, and he just takes off. She doesn't, and lets the cubs do their thing. In seconds, they are exhausted and panting, while the 'prey' is just gone. It seemed to have been her way of showing them not only what not to chase, but that they'll run out of steam pretty quick.

shireling
Frodo's Stewed Coney

Postby shireling » Thu Jul 07, 2016 5:55 pm

They're about to end the live feed for this and I am bummed. It'll return in the winter when the couple comes back to nest again, but chances are we won't be seeing this year's crop of kids. It's really hard not to get attached...

shireling
Frodo's Stewed Coney

Postby shireling » Thu Jul 07, 2016 9:13 pm

Freedom is on the nest, calling for her parents to come feed her :( ... Poor baby. I want so much to drone her a sandwich or something :( .

shireling
Frodo's Stewed Coney

Postby shireling » Fri Jul 08, 2016 12:10 am

She gave up and flew away. Apparently it's getting to the point where the folks want the kids to start fending for themselves; geeze, I just had a flashback to the summer I graduated from high school *shudder*...

shireling
Frodo's Stewed Coney

Postby shireling » Fri Jul 08, 2016 12:11 am

This was taken a couple of days after hatching...

shireling
Frodo's Stewed Coney

Postby shireling » Fri Jul 08, 2016 12:14 am

This is Freedom at 11-weeks-old...

shireling
Frodo's Stewed Coney

Postby shireling » Fri Jul 08, 2016 12:16 am

This was a while ago, when the babies were yet to be named. The First Lady is on the right.

shireling
Frodo's Stewed Coney

Postby shireling » Fri Jul 08, 2016 12:23 am

The whole family, when the kids looked a bit like molting dinosaurs. The dad - Mr. President - is the nearest on the right. I wanted to make sure I got these in here before the live feed closes...

Padfoot
Rampaging Blood Elf

Postby Padfoot » Fri Jul 08, 2016 11:09 am

Such beautiful creatures! I know it's hard to watch, but it's nature's way and Paul and Freedom will learn to take care of herself and eventually pass on what she's learned from her parents to her own kiddies!
Imagerichardkf7 by Martina Immel, auf Flickr

shireling
Frodo's Stewed Coney

Postby shireling » Fri Jul 08, 2016 11:46 am

Yeah, it's been hard some days, but it's been better with this particular family than some of the others. The powers that be won't interfere - it's like childbirth; once you start messing with the process, can you ever stop?

How much of what the eaglets do is instinct, and how much is personality? That's what's interested me. The younger of the two, Liberty (I hate these names! Have I said I hate these names :lol: ?) tended to stick close by, but then as Freedom started hanging out at the nest and taking over most of the prey, Liberty was like, "Oh, the hell with this! I'm gonna go kill somethin'!"

I so wish them all well...

shireling
Frodo's Stewed Coney

Postby shireling » Sat Jul 09, 2016 11:41 am

Yesterday, Dad came back to the nest with a fish. He waited for hours, taking a nibble here and there, until it got too late. By then, he'd eaten the fish past the halfway mark, and seeing that nobody was coming, swallowed the rest in one long gulp, before flying away.

Return to “Science & Technology”