Eagle Cam! Watch Live!

Can't have one without the other! Come and sharpen your intellect on the cutting edge.
shireling
Frodo's Stewed Coney

Re: Eagle Cam! Watch Live!

Postby shireling » Mon Dec 26, 2016 4:04 am

It's almost time for the eagles to begin nesting again. I'll keep an eye out for when they return :) .

'By Elbereth and Luthien the Fair, you shall have neither the Ring nor me! Engage!'
Avatar courtesy of Candy Kane, Webmistress Extraordinaire and Slayer of Trolls

Padfoot
Rampaging Blood Elf

Postby Padfoot » Mon Dec 26, 2016 9:47 am

Looking forward to it! Very much!
Imagerichardkf7 by Martina Immel, auf Flickr

shireling
Frodo's Stewed Coney

Postby shireling » Tue Dec 27, 2016 4:10 am

The First Lady laid the first egg on February 10th last year, and the second one on the 14th, so it'll be a while. I didn't see any of this until the eggs were hatching and it was on the news. This time I want to see the couple rebuild the nest, and do whatever they need to do before the laying starts :) .

'By Elbereth and Luthien the Fair, you shall have neither the Ring nor me! Engage!'

shireling
Frodo's Stewed Coney

Postby shireling » Sun Jan 01, 2017 2:00 am

This is M15 and Harriet with a chick that just hatched today (12/30/16.) This nest is in Florida.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/nes ... 3a08f8ba15

Ozzie was the name of the original mate, who died, and Harriet has since chosen M15 to father her chicks.

shireling
Frodo's Stewed Coney

Postby shireling » Sun Jan 01, 2017 5:38 pm

The DC nest (Mr. President and First Lady) has it's cameras up and running - and they fixed the sound :yay: ! I just found it today, so I haven't seen the couple yet. I hope they have as much success as they did last year. You can follow all of these eagles on Youtube.

http://www.dceaglecam.org/

Padfoot
Rampaging Blood Elf

Postby Padfoot » Sun Jan 01, 2017 9:49 pm

They won't be re-named re-named, will they? Somehow I think eagles are not the appropriate animal equivalents to Mr and Mrs Trump. Snakes would be more appropriate...

shireling
Frodo's Stewed Coney

Postby shireling » Sun Jan 01, 2017 11:22 pm

:lmao: Well, what they do is they ask for names, and people make suggestions. Then however many chicks there are, names are listed and you can vote online for what you want. I don't know how M15 got his - somebody was into naming the birds after aircraft for a while I guess.

You are bad, Paddy :lol:. Snakes. Snakes need love too. Our local zoo has adoptions set up. You can help pay for the food and maintenance of the animals by donating. A local law firm noticed that nobody was interested in the reptiles or the one vulture, so they decided to cover their care. They even named the bird Senior Partner ;) .

shireling
Frodo's Stewed Coney

Postby shireling » Mon Jan 02, 2017 2:54 am

I really love that they fixed the sound. Sometimes all you can hear is what's going on around the eagles, but sometimes they vocalize. I love having the cam window open while I'm working on something else; if a chick or a parent makes a sound, I can click right back over to see what's going on. Right now, I can hear the traffic going by, and the wind.

Motherhood can be all things to all beings. I remember long boring stretches when Mike was a baby (and later how I would give anything for a few of those when he started walking!) But there's nothing, nothing like HOURS of being crouched over a couple of eggs - or a chick and an egg - or two chicks, while the husband is out fishing.

Believe me when I say, that I would never be a lady bird for all the roadkill on Interstate 95 - even if it meant free shipping.

Padfoot
Rampaging Blood Elf

Postby Padfoot » Mon Jan 02, 2017 9:11 am

I like the sense of humour that law firm showed :lmao:

shireling
Frodo's Stewed Coney

Postby shireling » Mon Jan 02, 2017 12:00 pm

Padfoot wrote:I like the sense of humour that law firm showed :lmao:

They need it, right up there with meter maids and tow truckers :lol: .

shireling
Frodo's Stewed Coney

Postby shireling » Wed Jan 04, 2017 12:04 am

It looks like the second egg of the Southwest Florida nest is pipping. I get worried that the older chick will box out the younger baby, if they get too far ahead.

shireling
Frodo's Stewed Coney

Postby shireling » Wed Jan 04, 2017 1:03 pm

Caught sight of one of the DC eagles this morning; I think it's First Lady (Mr. President has a little white feather just above his wings in the back, and he's smaller in size.) I'm so glad they made through the rest of last year! http://www.dceaglecam.org/ She's wrestling with some branches, trying to get the place ready.

It rained in Florida last night and poor Harriet is soaked :( .

shireling
Frodo's Stewed Coney

Postby shireling » Mon Jan 09, 2017 2:44 pm

The Southwest Florida eagles' second egg is not likely to hatch :(

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SYeZ9l7IVWQ

shireling
Frodo's Stewed Coney

Postby shireling » Tue Feb 07, 2017 2:25 am

It's getting closer to the time when the First Lady and Mr. President start their 2017 family. It was in the middle of February when their eggs were laid and they reared two healthy fledglings. Their site can be found here: http://www.dceaglecam.org/

Right now the nest is empty, but every now and then I'll catch one or the other stopping by to check things out. Other birds in the area, like blue jays, were around to help themselves to some of the materials. That'll stop once the first egg is laid.

As for the Southwest Florida nest, E-9 is as big as M15, and the egg (affectionately called Eggbert), shows the scale of the chick's growth. It's sad to see that the other didn't make it, but watching these guys grow is nothing short of amazing. They fixed the Cam's sound, so I've had days where I turned it up all the way and listened to the eagles cry and the wind in the trees. Just love it.

shireling
Frodo's Stewed Coney

Postby shireling » Sat Feb 11, 2017 9:27 pm

Found another nest. This is Berry College, and this pair has a hatchling as of today :D . https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gzYjJHP-11g

Return to “Science & Technology”