CDs -- do you still buy them?

Wanna go GaGa over Beyonce, or Muse about Metal?
resoundingjoy
Disturber of Cthulhu's Slumber

CDs -- do you still buy them?

Postby resoundingjoy » Thu Sep 30, 2010 12:53 am

And if so, what was your last purchase?

I can't remember the last time before this I bought physical CDs though. I do a lot of mp3 downloads on Amazon (especially when they have $5 first-day releases and similar promotions). I also listen to a lot of Pandora, Myspace streaming, online radio, and do some sampling from music blogs.

But I had a gift card for Borders, so I went there yesterday and bought Anberlin's "Dark is the Way, Light is the Place," Jimmy Eat World's "Inverted" and Sara Bareilles "Kaleidoscope Heart."

I'm feeling a little "meh" about the first two so far, but maybe they'll grow on me after a few more listens. Love the Sara Bareilles album though, even more than her previous one.

PatriotBlade
Wyvern

Re: CDs -- do you still buy them?

Postby PatriotBlade » Thu Sep 30, 2010 4:15 am

Love pandora, but it won't work with my dial up internet. I did quite a bit of down loading from LaLa.com before they were bought out by iTunes, but mostly I still buy (or check out from the library) cds and manually load them to my various and sundry players and flashdrives.
Staring at the blank page before you, open up the dirty window, let the sun illuminate the words that you could not find. Today is where your book begins, the rest is still UNWRITTEN...

shireling
Frodo's Stewed Coney

Postby shireling » Thu Sep 30, 2010 10:29 am

Yes, I do. We have a six-disc player in the car and at Christmas, I fill them up with Mannheim Steamroller. I still have my LPs, too, and a turntable though I did give all of my cassette tapes to my son because they're easier for him to use. I still make copies for him with my machine here.

I had an MP3 player for a while, but it was inconvenient to use with my hearing loss so I gave it away. I have a headset radio that I sometimes listen to while computing, so as not to disturb Duane while he's sleeping or reading (the computer's in his bedroom).

"He who learns must suffer. And even in our sleep pain that cannot forget falls drop by drop upon the heart, and in our own despair, against our will, comes wisdom to us by the awful grace of God." - Aeschylus

Avatar courtesy of Candy Kane, Webmistress Extraordinaire and Slayer of Trolls

TomCotton
Vampire Slayer

Postby TomCotton » Thu Sep 30, 2010 12:37 pm

Yes, I still buy CDs. The last ones I bought were not music CDs. They were Justin Wilson CDs called I Gawr-On-Tee, Shot Dem Duck and Hunt, and The Cajun King of Comedy. Justin Wilson is a Cajun that tells funny stories. Some are true, some stretch the truth a bit, and some are just made up. :)

I download MP3s of single songs that I do not have on CDs, LPs, or cassettes. I have never downloaded a complete album in MP3 format.
§Doug§ AC000000 Eamus Catuli!!!!
Audere est Facere
"Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn’t go away." Philip K. Dick

Cassie
Wyvern

Postby Cassie » Fri Oct 01, 2010 11:29 pm

I only buy CDs of my favorite bands, so the ones I got were Disturbed. Otherwise, I'm an itunes junkie :)
[Under Construction]

-O-
Site Admin

Postby -O- » Sat Oct 02, 2010 12:16 am

im pretty much like Cas, ive just recently started buying iron maiden cd's starting off with piece of mind, powerslave, number of the beast, and their newest release final frontier. i plan on purchasing their entire catalog eventually. but i just rip em to itunes and put them away, but i do have a plan to display them when my collection increases a bit.

TomCotton wrote:Yes, I still buy CDs. The last ones I bought were not music CDs. They were Justin Wilson CDs called I Gawr-On-Tee, Shot Dem Duck and Hunt, and The Cajun King of Comedy. Justin Wilson is a Cajun that tells funny stories. Some are true, some stretch the truth a bit, and some are just made up. :)

i used to watch his cooking program on public tv quite a few years back, he is pretty funny. lol

ElviraStarkeeper
Grumbling Murloc

Postby ElviraStarkeeper » Sun Oct 17, 2010 5:20 am

I still buy CDs of smaller local bands when i can, along with bands that i love. My last one was Once by Nightwish i think. Most of the other ones i love require a good deal of hunting down as they are obscure european metal things :P

I also still own a TON of tapes that i mixed so i could listen to things on my giant yellow portable walkman that i inherited from my mom. I was definitely the coolest highschooler :P
You've got to change the world,
and use this chance to be heard.
But dancing is fine too :P

shireling
Frodo's Stewed Coney

Postby shireling » Sun Oct 17, 2010 3:25 pm

We just broke down and out the card for some. This is the Moody Blues and the first two Yes albums. I actually saw them play in a local high school gym when I was 16.

Does anybody know if the big brown The Beatles Love Songs was ever released as CDs? I have looked for that for years. Duane got me the LPs for an anniversary gift; I still have them and have a rinky-dink turntable to play them on, but I would sure love to play them in the car.

It's just that the technology is beyond me. I think everybody sooner or later looks at that hilltop of gadgets and says, the hell with it...where's my eight-track?

"He who learns must suffer. And even in our sleep pain that cannot forget falls drop by drop upon the heart, and in our own despair, against our will, comes wisdom to us by the awful grace of God." - Aeschylus

TomCotton
Vampire Slayer

Postby TomCotton » Sun Oct 17, 2010 6:27 pm

Beatles Love Songs audio CD at Amazon $39.00 US.
Maybe find and buy MP3s of the songs on the album and burn your own CD. Might be able to save a few bucks.
Audere est Facere
"Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn’t go away." Philip K. Dick

shireling
Frodo's Stewed Coney

Postby shireling » Sun Oct 17, 2010 9:00 pm

I know *rueful*. I even had an MP3 player that I got in a gift exchange (that's how cheap they've become). But after a year of it sitting unopened, I put in a gift bag and gave it somebody else. I miss the artwork on the album covers, too. After 50 years, some of them are still stunning to look at.

And thanks for the info on the Beatles' CD, Tom :). I'm glad to know it's out there even at that price.

TomCotton
Vampire Slayer

Postby TomCotton » Sun Oct 17, 2010 10:04 pm

Yes, I really like the album art that Roger Dean did for the Yes albums.
A bunch of the other groups had some real good album art too.
Audere est Facere

ElviraStarkeeper
Grumbling Murloc

Postby ElviraStarkeeper » Sun Oct 17, 2010 10:26 pm

My parents have a bunch of stuff on record that i absolutely love, and it's been a bit of bother for my mom (a ballet teacher) to get them either converted or to find them on cd/p3 for use in dance shows >.<
I'm definitely a fan of album art, and while a lot of it is downloadable, there's just something precious about holding a new c.d./old record in your hands. It's sort of like both new-book and old-book smell i think.
You've got to change the world,
and use this chance to be heard.
But dancing is fine too :P

TomCotton
Vampire Slayer

Postby TomCotton » Mon Oct 18, 2010 12:34 pm

Speaking of LP sleeve art, anyone remember the big rolling paper that came with the Cheech and Chong album Big Bambu, or the stash box made from the sleeve of the Jefferson Airplane album Long John Silver?

Both were released back in 1972. I remember buying them, but don't have the paper or the box any more. :(

Must have been use... lost over the years. Yeah, that's the ticket.
Audere est Facere

Halasian
Crimebuster

Postby Halasian » Tue Nov 12, 2013 2:48 am

I guess I'm old-school. I prefer to get a CD when I can.
Dunedain Ranger in the Shadows

shireling
Frodo's Stewed Coney

Postby shireling » Tue Nov 12, 2013 12:47 pm

I do, too. My complaint is that not everything, at least everything I want, can be found on CD. It's like books - I love that they're tangible and if I drop one (depending where, of course), it's fine; I'm not endangering my whole library, like I would with a tablet.

I don't need buds to listen; they're portable, from home to car and back; I've still got a few cassettes, a stack of LPs (though they mostly provide the ballast to keep our entertainment center from collapsing), and only a month ago, threw out the last of the VHS. The same with DVDs. So long as Beauty doesn't go lame, we won't sell the buggy :D .

Return to “Music”