Cover Versions - The Good, The Bad and The Ugly...

Wanna go GaGa over Beyonce, or Muse about Metal?
Shuggy
Wyvern
Location: Navigating Defecation Creek Without Any Oars Whatsoever.

Cover Versions - The Good, The Bad and The Ugly...

Postby Shuggy » Thu Sep 30, 2010 8:27 pm

Any category you like; I'll kick off:

Good:

Gary Jules - 'Mad World' (Originally by Tears For Fears). I like the original, but the cover is brilliantly judged and haunting (despite the excessive air play).

GoldBug - 'Whole Lotta Love' (Originally by Led Zep). I should hate this, but I don't. It's a tongue-in-cheek version (spliced with the Pearl & Dean theme!) with ramped up guitar, a gleaming organ solo, and by god the lead singer can wail! It's just good fun.

Bad:

Nouvelle Vague - 'Blue Monday' (Originally by New Order).

Ugly:

Fine Young Cannibals - 'Ever Fallen In Love...' (Originally by The Buzzcocks) - unnecessary and wrong, wrong, wrong on so many levels. In fact; it's a festering turd of a cover version crapped into life probably as a result of weeks of binge drinking (or a head injury). It's wrong on ANY level.

Far Corporation - 'Stairway to Heaven' (Originally by Led Zep) - Rolf Harris did a version of 'Stairway...', uptempo and complete with wobble-board and panting and sing-along sections. I can at least laugh ironically at Rolf's version. There's NOTHING funny about the Far Corporation version.

Barking Mad:

Senor Coconut - 'Smoke on the Water' (Originally by 'Deep Purple') - There are no words to describe the smooth salsa madness of this song, other than 'mad as a box of frogs'.

Scissor Sisters - 'Comfortably Numb' (Originally by Pink Floyd) - considering the original is one of my all-time fave songs EVER, I don't actually hate this - I just find it.... bizarre. Apparently Roger Waters heard it and gave it the 'thumbs up'!
"Your Mother Cooks Socks in Hell!"

TomCotton
Vampire Slayer

Re: Cover Versions - The Good, The Bad and The Ugly...

Postby TomCotton » Thu Sep 30, 2010 9:12 pm

Good:
Shaw/Blades - "Time of the Season" originally by The Zombies. Both are good, the cover has some good guitar by Tommy Shaw in place of the keyboard.

The Jimi Hendrix Experience - "All Along the Watchtower" originally by Bob Dylan. Let's get stonder. :8
§Doug§ AC000000 Eamus Catuli!!!!
Audere est Facere
"Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn’t go away." Philip K. Dick

-O-
Site Admin

Postby -O- » Sat Oct 02, 2010 12:38 am

Great!
Johnny Cash - Hurt, originally done by Nine Inch Nails. When i first heard this i had no clue that NiN had done this tune originally, Cash does the cover so well id have never believed it was done by anyone else, he sings it almost as if it is about his life, at least it seemed to me, Cash was an incredible artist and his version greatly outshines the original imo.

Hole - Gold Dust Woman, originally done by Fleetwood Mac. While i love Fleetwood Mac and the originall version of this song, Hole's version of this classic hit is great, its just heavy harder and rougher than the original and is completely brilliant.

Halasian
Crimebuster

Postby Halasian » Fri Dec 10, 2010 10:49 am

The Good: Ann & Nancy Wilson ~ Battle Of Evermore (Led Zeppelin Original)
Having seen them do this live in 2006, I was quite impressed!

The Bad: Me First & The Gimme Gimmes ~ Leaving On A Jet Plane (Peter Paul & Mary Original?)
It's 'bad' in a good sort of way as they were able to take the song and bend it into the punk style.

The Ugly: Rock Paper Scissors ~ Songs For Aging Children Come (Joni Mitchell Original)
What can I say? I'll give the girls credit for trying.
Dunedain Ranger in the Shadows

Return to “Music”