Christmas Music

Wanna go GaGa over Beyonce, or Muse about Metal?
shireling
Frodo's Stewed Coney

Christmas Music

Postby shireling » Wed Dec 01, 2010 12:59 pm

I love Mannheim Steamroller. I never cared for "Deck the Halls" until I heard them do it, and their version of "Silent Night" includes a toy piano. Mike and my all-time favorite is their "Carol of the Bells". Every year, Thanksgiving week, I move out my Gogol Bordello CDs in the car to make room for these guys until Epithany.

Do you listen and is there a particular performer that you gravitate to this time of year?
Do you know any Christmas song trivia? For instance:

Did you know that five of the most beautiful, popular and covered songs of the season were written by Jews? I didn't, and here they are:

1. "White Christmas" by: Irving Berlin in 1940

2. “Rudolph, the Red-Nosed Reindeer” by: Johnny Marks in 1949

3. “Let It Snow! Let It Snow! Let It Snow!” by: Julius Kerwin Stein and Samuel Cohen in 1945

4. “Silver Bells” by: Jay Livingston and Ray Evans in 1951

5. “You’re a Mean One, Mr. Grinch” by: Albert Hague in 1966 (with words/lyrics by Dr. Seuss)

"I would like an abundance of peace. I would like full vessels of charity. I would like rich treasures of mercy. I would like cheerfulness to preside over all." - St. Brigid of Kildare

Avatar courtesy of Candy Kane, Webmistress Extraordinaire and Slayer of Trolls

TomCotton
Vampire Slayer

Re: Christmas Music

Postby TomCotton » Wed Dec 01, 2010 1:20 pm

Trans Siberian Orchestra does some good Christmas songs. I have seen their stage show a couple of times. It is impressive except for the narration between songs. They could dump that cwrap. :roll:

I have always liked "Do You Hear What I Hear" as sung by Johnny Mathis. Remember Gremlins? :D
§Doug§ AC000000 Eamus Catuli!!!!
Audere est Facere
"Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn’t go away." Philip K. Dick

shireling
Frodo's Stewed Coney

Postby shireling » Wed Dec 01, 2010 5:01 pm

I love "Do You Hear What I Hear". That song has been my high school choir's finale choice since the year it came out. Maybe Trans Siberian Orchestra will take a clue from you, Tom. I have friends who've said the same thing about the narrative.

I saw Gremlins once. For me, it's a wonderful cautionary tale about why you shouldn't own exotic pets, and what not to put in your microwave :lol:.

"I would like an abundance of peace. I would like full vessels of charity. I would like rich treasures of mercy. I would like cheerfulness to preside over all." - St. Brigid of Kildare

MsBrandybuck
Wyvern

Postby MsBrandybuck » Wed Dec 01, 2010 5:20 pm

I always loved the duet of Bing Crosby and David Bowie singing The Little Drummer Boy. :)

And I love the classics as well. And I never considered those you listed were written by Jews. Brilliant! Doesn't Barry Manilow have a Christmas album?
"Today is a good day to die."
— Worf

shireling
Frodo's Stewed Coney

Postby shireling » Wed Dec 01, 2010 5:46 pm

He must have, I think. I can hear him singing "The Christmas Song" in my head right now. It's good but he's not Nat Cole.

Gosh the classics! We had a Sing A-long with Mitch album when I was a kid. A double-album with all the lyrics inside. It was the first time I heard "The Coventry Carol" - the words go back to the Middle Ages, and was part of a pageant put on by the local trades guilds.

PatriotBlade
Wyvern

Postby PatriotBlade » Thu Dec 02, 2010 4:09 am

I am a Christmas music collector and my favorites are often old folk and ethnic songs that are hard to get a hold of. There's a lot of Manie Steamroller and Trans-S. O. in the house too, though. One song you will NEVER find in my collection is "Santa Baby", by ANYONE!!!! I will gladly listen to "Run, Run Rudolph" (another one you will never find in my collection) a hundred times, if it means you won't play the other one at all.
Staring at the blank page before you, open up the dirty window, let the sun illuminate the words that you could not find. Today is where your book begins, the rest is still UNWRITTEN...

shireling
Frodo's Stewed Coney

Postby shireling » Thu Dec 02, 2010 11:31 am

PatriotBlade wrote:I am a Christmas... One song you will NEVER find in my collection is "Santa Baby", by ANYONE!!!! I will gladly listen to "Run, Run Rudolph" (another one you will never find in my collection) a hundred times, if it means you won't play the other one at all.

:lmao: Does that mean you wouldn't listen to my LOTR parody of it, either?

MsBrandybuck
Wyvern

Postby MsBrandybuck » Thu Dec 02, 2010 1:59 pm

Bring it, shireling! :)
"Today is a good day to die."
— Worf

PatriotBlade
Wyvern

Postby PatriotBlade » Thu Dec 02, 2010 2:29 pm

Maybe once. But I really do hate it! and there are no less than 4 versions of it (2 of run, run rudolph) on the music rotation at work. Gr-r-r-r!
Staring at the blank page before you, open up the dirty window, let the sun illuminate the words that you could not find. Today is where your book begins, the rest is still UNWRITTEN...

shireling
Frodo's Stewed Coney

Postby shireling » Thu Dec 02, 2010 7:01 pm

Thanks, Ms. B! I did this for one of the Ringbearers a couple of years back. It's not laid out exactly like the original song, with the exact same number of verses, but the melody's the same...

Pippin Baby
(for Lily Took :))

Pippin baby, do you remember me?
Lily?
Under the Party Tree?
Pippin baby, please com'on down to see me tonight.

Pippin baby, I live on Bagshot Row,
You know -
A stoney's throw from Frodo.

I've just baked some sugar buns -
I've got some lager from The Green Dragon.
Fill your plate from my pantries -
You can even have elevenses...

Pippin baby, now that you're back from the quest -
I guess,
You sure could use some rest, but -

Pippin baby, I've been so very alone -
At home.
No one to call my own, so
Pippin baby, please hurry down to see me tonight.

Oh, won't you be my honey bee?
Sit here beside me with your Old Toby.
Ask anything your heart desires -
Just come warm those toes by my fire.

Pippin baby, I only want you to bring -
no Ring -
Your precious self and nothing.
Pippin baby, please com'on down to see me tonight,

Please hurry down to see me tonight...
Just hurry, hurry, hurry tonight...'

PatriotBlade
Wyvern

Postby PatriotBlade » Fri Dec 03, 2010 3:22 pm

Oh. My. *sigh. shudders*

shireling
Frodo's Stewed Coney

Postby shireling » Fri Dec 03, 2010 9:46 pm

I know. :) Just how good it is gives me goose bumps, too!

resoundingjoy
Disturber of Cthulhu's Slumber

Postby resoundingjoy » Sat Dec 04, 2010 2:26 pm

Carol of the Bells is one of my favourite Christmas songs. The choir at my university used to sing it in chapel each Christmas... except they would sit around the perimeter of the gym, and then when it was time to perform, would stand up and sing from their places, so it was always a little like actually being in the choir.

TomCotton
Vampire Slayer

Postby TomCotton » Sat Dec 04, 2010 8:52 pm

The Raleigh Ringers have some interesting and good sounding songs and are very interesting to watch. They use bells to make the music for the most part with some other instruments to add to the mix.

§Doug§ AC000000 Eamus Catuli!!!!
Audere est Facere
"Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn’t go away." Philip K. Dick

Halasian
Crimebuster

Postby Halasian » Wed Dec 22, 2010 8:46 am

Dunedain Ranger in the Shadows

Return to “Music”