How much RB do we want in this site?

Please ask any questions you have about the workings (intended or in error) of the site in here.

How much RBness?

Clean slate
19%
Hints to the past
81%

Total votes: 16

Cassie
Wyvern

How much RB do we want in this site?

Postby Cassie » Mon Jun 28, 2010 11:14 am

The answer to this question is going to affect not just the name of the site, but what we put on the front page, what threads we have etc. As far as I can see these are the options:

1 - Clean slate - This is a new site, treat it as such. Yes, mention where we came from in the info thread or something, but otherwise we are just a bunch of people that happened to all post on another site previously. It's the people that matter, not where we came from.

2 - Hints to the past - Don't treat this as RB.2 but remember where we came from in the name, front page, threads (Ivy for example). Yes the people do matter, but we can't forgot what brought us together in the first place. Having hints here and there will just be easter eggs for us.

I don't usually vote on these, but I will put my opinion here. I was in the second camp before I gave this some serious thought this morning, and there's one thing that swung it for me; the Ivy thread. I see nothing wrong with us having a 'bar' thread, however, seeing the first post of that thread (which is in no way a put-down on the thread-starter, copy and pasting the existing opening post from the Ivy was the only option at the time). There are things mentioned in that first post that I don't remember, and I was posting there at the time! How are people freshly joining the site going to understand that post? I think that we do need to remember where we came from, but in subtle ways. We are only a small part of what was RB and I don't think we need to bring all of it with us.

Now that's just my opinion, and I will go with whatever the majority says, but I would like to know what you guys think.
[Under Construction]

Withywindle
Evil Lair Tourguide

Re: How much RB do we want in this site?

Postby Withywindle » Mon Jun 28, 2010 5:20 pm

Well there is only one option really which is shadows of the past. ;-) see what I did there? People will always mention the past. That said I support trying to move away from in jokes, cliqueyness (easily done accidentally) etc. You always take the past with you to some degree but it doesn't mean you cant move on.
Dear Mister Fantasy play us a tune / Something to make us all happy / Do anything to take us out of this gloom / Sing a song, play guitar / Make it snappy ...

Cassie
Wyvern

Postby Cassie » Tue Jun 29, 2010 5:24 pm

Nicely put Withy ;)

And thanks to everyone that has voted so far. This'll definitely help with shaping the site :)
[Under Construction]

lotrfotrttrotk
Crimebuster

Postby lotrfotrttrotk » Tue Jun 29, 2010 6:00 pm

I think there needs to be a balanced achieved somewhere. I agree that the Ivy Bush first post is a bit too much hinting to the past, I've been on RB for something like 6 years now and have no idea what any of that stuff is referring to, for the most part. :P

I think if we make no actual effort to include "shadows of the past" ;) and just be open to allowing them to come up as they may in conversation, that will be good. That way there's nothing blaringly obvious, and allows us to move in a new direction...but without feeling like we've completely lost the great thing we had going before.

I think a Title like "remember the balrog" combined with enough other graphics and threads that are non-Tolkien will be a good balance.
All that is gold does not glitter; Not all those who wander are lost.
The old that is strong does not whither; deep roots are not reached by the frost.
From the ashes a fire shall be woken; a light from the shadows shall spring.
Renewed shall be blade that was broken; the crownless again shall be King."

highlyeccentric
House Elf

Postby highlyeccentric » Thu Jul 01, 2010 1:28 am

I'm all for keeping some of the past traditions around - but for what it's worth, even in the site's heyday, some of the injokes and so on were incomprehensible. I spent a good two years lurking, unsure how to fit myself into this massive culture. I think a lot of that might have faded with the movie hype, but it's still something to watch out for.

W/R/T the Ivy into post: did anyone ever READ that post? The only part I remember is the warning about the salmon. It doesn't really explain how to participate in the thread - which wasn't so important when the board was really busy, you could figure it out if you lurked and watched. But we could probably do with a simple explanation now. :)

Padfoot
Rampaging Blood Elf

Postby Padfoot » Thu Jul 01, 2010 12:02 pm

I second to what has been said so far.

Concerning the Ivy thread, I've been around for some 8 years now, and even I don't understand everything in this first post (never did, BTW, because it was already around when I joined, and lots of things [insider jokes] referred - and refer - to members long gone and things that happened a long time ago). I copied and pasted the first post, and while reading through it, I wasn't sure whether to delete anything of it or not, so I thought I'd better leave it as it was... I'm open to all suggestions!
Imagerichardkf7 by Martina Immel, auf Flickr

Azriel
Crimebuster

Postby Azriel » Sun Jul 04, 2010 6:18 pm

Of the two options I lean more toward a clean slate. I think we're always gonna remember where we came from no matter what, and there's nothing wrong with keeping some forum names and talking about old times occasionally. BUT I think if we deliberately put things in that will hint at the past it blocks out new people to a degree. If we keep certain things (threads, forum names, injokes) sacred, we're never going to have new people feel like they can really give their input about them. We're just gonna seem like a group of old people talking about the good old times. I like the good old times, but I think we need to find a way to remember them without carving them into the walls of the new place.

Let's keep some of the old things, but be willing to change them if they get exclusive.

I think with the IB it's gotten to seem like a roleplaying club. I was never a regular poster, but I've been in and out over the years chatting and sometimes RPing. It always seemed odd to me when I went there looking to see what people were chatting about and only found people talking about what they were 'doing' there with the latest bar furniture/servants/additions as opposed to actually having a conversation. Not to say people don't have real conversations there, please don't mistake me. But I would definitely be all for a move away from the first post being so role-play-ey and instead simply being a one-paragraph explanation of "here's a place to chat about anything and have a continuous thread of conversation"
"The world of books is the most remarkable creation of man. Nothing else that he builds ever lasts. Monuments fall, nations perish, civilizations grow old and die out, and after an era of darkness new races build others. But in the world of books are volumes that have seen this happen again and again and yet live on, still young, still as fresh as the day they were written, still telling men's hearts of the hearts of men centuries dead."

Cassie
Wyvern

Postby Cassie » Thu Jul 08, 2010 6:44 pm

Thanks again for the great input. Az, good points about the Ivy :)
[Under Construction]

Halasian
Crimebuster

Postby Halasian » Tue Jul 20, 2010 4:58 am

I was just at the old Ivy, putting it back on top after the spam wave, and I'm thinking maybe this place should have another bar/inn/whatever with a different and new name to replace it. I voted hints of the past, because one must not forget their roots, but neither do we want to have the old board/new board divider here either. Interesting pondering this.
Dunedain Ranger in the Shadows

Padfoot
Rampaging Blood Elf

Postby Padfoot » Tue Jul 20, 2010 1:50 pm

Any suggestions for a new name?

shireling
Frodo's Stewed Coney

Postby shireling » Wed Jul 21, 2010 12:20 pm

What about taking one of the names we were originally discussing or a variation of them?

The Geek Shall Inherit The Earth
Beyond Reality
Secondary Worlds
Dragon's Moon
Secondary Universes
Reality Bridge
FantastiCosmos
alt.worlds

"I would like an abundance of peace. I would like full vessels of charity. I would like rich treasures of mercy. I would like cheerfulness to preside over all." - St. Brigid of Kildare

Avatar courtesy of Candy Kane, Webmistress Extraordinaire and Slayer of Trolls

Padfoot
Rampaging Blood Elf

Postby Padfoot » Thu Jul 22, 2010 7:36 am

I like Dragon's Moon. Sounds good!

Hm..... How about "The Dragon's Moon Inn"?

I'm off work for three weeks from Monday on. Enough time to re-vamp the thread.

shireling
Frodo's Stewed Coney

Postby shireling » Thu Jul 22, 2010 11:42 am

That's the one I liked, too. :)

"I would like an abundance of peace. I would like full vessels of charity. I would like rich treasures of mercy. I would like cheerfulness to preside over all." - St. Brigid of Kildare

ElviraStarkeeper
Grumbling Murloc

Postby ElviraStarkeeper » Wed Aug 04, 2010 6:50 am

Im unsure if the name needs to change. The first post definitely does, and perhaps we should stop calling it the NEW ivy bush. If there were to be a change i'd vote maybe for "the Ivy" or something a bit more pub-like than some of the suggested site names.
You've got to change the world,
and use this chance to be heard.
But dancing is fine too :P

shireling
Frodo's Stewed Coney

Postby shireling » Wed Aug 04, 2010 11:31 am

I like The Ivy.

Return to “Questions/Problems”