Site Graphics/Theme

Please ask any questions you have about the workings (intended or in error) of the site in here.
Azriel
Crimebuster

Re: Site Graphics/Theme

Postby Azriel » Wed Aug 11, 2010 2:55 pm

Wow em, that is just so perfect! I love it to pieces.
I love the notepaper with "Remember the Balrog" written in the teen girl squad font hahaha!

Shuggy, thanks for working on one too. I.. well... I like em's better :p but didn't want your work to go overlooked - I have no artistic talent and photoshop is a mystery to me so I appreciate those who know how to put things together.

I think this would call for a theme to match the banner though, right? Anyone know how to do that? I've modified themes very minimally (and poorly) in the past and it was a huge pain.
"The world of books is the most remarkable creation of man. Nothing else that he builds ever lasts. Monuments fall, nations perish, civilizations grow old and die out, and after an era of darkness new races build others. But in the world of books are volumes that have seen this happen again and again and yet live on, still young, still as fresh as the day they were written, still telling men's hearts of the hearts of men centuries dead."

Azriel
Crimebuster

Postby Azriel » Wed Aug 11, 2010 2:57 pm

Candy Kane wrote:Seconded.

I wish you guys did the chat thing instead of hoping other people would, but it's up to all of you if you want this place to work.

Sorry candy, what chat thing do you mean?
"The world of books is the most remarkable creation of man. Nothing else that he builds ever lasts. Monuments fall, nations perish, civilizations grow old and die out, and after an era of darkness new races build others. But in the world of books are volumes that have seen this happen again and again and yet live on, still young, still as fresh as the day they were written, still telling men's hearts of the hearts of men centuries dead."

Candy Kane
Psychic detective

Postby Candy Kane » Wed Aug 11, 2010 3:05 pm

Azriel wrote:I think this would call for a theme to match the banner though, right? Anyone know how to do that? I've modified themes very minimally (and poorly) in the past and it was a huge pain.

I do -- have you seen my websites? The hub is linked on my profile. The simplest thing to do is find a colour that goes with the banner, and use that as the background, then insert the banner as a header. Problem solved! That's how I do it.

As for the chat thing, I mean hopping into the New Ivy Bush and saying hello, then replying to the replies. Sounds simple, right? But replies can be days apart there. What I'd like to see is shorter delays so we can have real conversations there. I like real conversations.
To err is but human, to forgive divine, and to design is AWESOME! :8

Shuggy
Wyvern
Location: Navigating Defecation Creek Without Any Oars Whatsoever.

Postby Shuggy » Wed Aug 11, 2010 3:38 pm

Candy Kane wrote:As for the chat thing, I mean hopping into the New Ivy Bush and saying hello, then replying to the replies. Sounds simple, right? But replies can be days apart there. What I'd like to see is shorter delays so we can have real conversations there.

Then don't restrict yourself to 'General Chat' - there are other forums on this site in which you can discuss books, films, food, etc; unless you do not have any opinion whatsoever on these subjects. :shock:

Candy Kane wrote:I like real conversations.

Like you get playing 'Hangman' on an internet forum? :|
"Your Mother Cooks Socks in Hell!"

Azriel
Crimebuster

Postby Azriel » Wed Aug 11, 2010 3:47 pm

Candy Kane wrote:I do -- have you seen my websites? The hub is linked on my profile. The simplest thing to do is find a colour that goes with the banner, and use that as the background, then insert the banner as a header. Problem solved! That's how I do it.

As for the chat thing, I mean hopping into the New Ivy Bush and saying hello, then replying to the replies. Sounds simple, right? But replies can be days apart there. What I'd like to see is shorter delays so we can have real conversations there. I like real conversations.

Ah, I meant a theme with graphics, not just a matching color scheme. Like customized icons, textured edges, etc. :)

As for chatting, sorry, I tend to dislike chat threads because in my experience they're mostly people RPing with the occasional real conversation mixed in. I prefer either real time chat, or conversations that occur in threads about other things, they seem imo to develop more naturally.
I have been on many boards that don't have them and it seems like not having them makes posters look around more for conversations that are happening in other threads.

Shuggy
Wyvern

Postby Shuggy » Wed Aug 11, 2010 3:48 pm

Azriel wrote:[As for chatting, sorry, I tend to dislike chat threads because in my experience they're mostly people RPing with the occasional real conversation mixed in. I prefer either real time chat, or conversations that occur in threads about other things, they seem imo to develop more naturally.
I have been on many boards that don't have them and it seems like not having them makes posters look around more for conversations that are happening in other threads.

This.

Well said.

Candy Kane
Psychic detective

Postby Candy Kane » Wed Aug 11, 2010 3:49 pm

Shuggy wrote:Then don't restrict yourself to 'General Chat' - there are other forums on this site in which you can discuss books, films, food, etc; unless you do not have any opinion whatsoever on these subjects. :shock:

I'm not really interested in those conversations, except in passing. I prefer the "how are you?" exchanges at the New Ivy Bush.

Like you get playing 'Hangman' on an internet forum? :|

Don't knock it till you try it. Besides, it's a way of interacting with my friends here. I had no idea Shireling liked Dune till she used "Kwisatch Haderach." What a fun way to find out!

Candy Kane
Psychic detective

Postby Candy Kane » Wed Aug 11, 2010 3:54 pm

Azriel wrote:As for chatting, sorry, I tend to dislike chat threads because in my experience they're mostly people RPing with the occasional real conversation mixed in.

At the New Ivy Bush, we joke about virtual drinks, but we mostly take an interest in each other, how our days are going, etc.

I prefer either real time chat, or conversations that occur in threads about other things, they seem imo to develop more naturally. I have been on many boards that don't have them and it seems like not having them makes posters look around more for conversations that are happening in other threads.

I've been put off those because I get told off for going off topic or being in the wrong thread. It's not possible to have a conversation about, let's say, fandom, when you hop in, say hello, post an opinion, then get told that you need to be invited into that particular area. Okay, then, I'll go! It hasn't happened here, to be fair.

Okay, I'll give it a go.

Shuggy
Wyvern

Postby Shuggy » Wed Aug 11, 2010 3:55 pm

Candy Kane wrote:
I'm not really interested in those conversations, except in passing. I prefer the "how are you?" exchanges at the New Ivy Bush.

Then why join a (supposedly) Sci-Fi/Fantasy forum, just to drop into one or two threads just to inquire after someone's health in passing?

Candy Kane wrote:Don't knock it till you try it. Besides, it's a way of interacting with my friends here. I had no idea Shireling liked Dune till she used "Kwisatch Haderach." What a fun way to find out!

Here's a crazy idea; why didn't you make a post about the 'Dune' novel in 'Books'? Or the film adaptation in 'Sci-Fi Movies'? Just IMAGINE how many people you might find out like 'Dune' by doing that! What an even FUNNER way to find out!

Candy Kane
Psychic detective

Postby Candy Kane » Wed Aug 11, 2010 4:03 pm

Shuggy wrote:Then why join a (supposedly) Sci-Fi/Fantasy forum, just to drop into one or two threads just to inquire after someone's health in passing?

That's not what I said, Shuggy. I don't enquire after someone's health in passing. I just don't really like Jane Austen enough to talk about her work in detail. I'm not into the New Avengers, either. I would like to talk to people in a general sense and have fun in fandom, too.

That was disingenuous of you, not to mention unfair.

Candy Kane wrote:Here's a crazy idea; why didn't you make a post about the 'Dune' novel in 'Books'? Or the film adaptation in 'Sci-Fi Movies'? Just IMAGINE how many people you might find out like 'Dune' by doing that! What an even FUNNER way to find out!

What if I get a response like the one I just got from you? I make an effort to raise your post count, I'm friendly and offer to help, and get slapped for it because it's not done the way you want it. If you don't want me here, I'll go.

lotrfotrttrotk
Crimebuster

Postby lotrfotrttrotk » Wed Aug 11, 2010 4:59 pm

OK now we're getting a little ridiculous...

You both have your points, and you obviously have very different ideas of what you think is a "quality message board experience"...and why is this a problem?

The thing is, we all could make more of an effort to branch out into the areas of the board we may not have much experience in.
You don't have to be an expert on a topic to participate, maybe you'll learn something while you're there...even posting one post and not trying to participate in a lengthy discussion is good, it gives everyone more to think about and respond to.
Also, having completely off-topic conversations in a chat thread lets you get to know people as people in RL, which makes you feel more connected to people, something that can only help on on-topic discussion, I think.

Valid points on both sides, but neither extreme is necessary.
All that is gold does not glitter; Not all those who wander are lost.
The old that is strong does not whither; deep roots are not reached by the frost.
From the ashes a fire shall be woken; a light from the shadows shall spring.
Renewed shall be blade that was broken; the crownless again shall be King."

Shuggy
Wyvern

Postby Shuggy » Wed Aug 11, 2010 5:04 pm

Candy Kane wrote:
Shuggy wrote:Then why join a (supposedly) Sci-Fi/Fantasy forum, just to drop into one or two threads just to inquire after someone's health in passing?

That's not what I said, Shuggy. I don't enquire after someone's health in passing. I just don't really like Jane Austen enough to talk about her work in detail. I'm not into the New Avengers, either. I would like to talk to people in a general sense and have fun in fandom, too.

That was disingenuous of you, not to mention unfair.

If I misunderstood you; I apologise. The impression I got from your post was that you don't wish to interact much beyond "Hello. How are you?" in 'The Ivy'.

Candy Kane wrote:
Shuggy wrote:Here's a crazy idea; why didn't you make a post about the 'Dune' novel in 'Books'? Or the film adaptation in 'Sci-Fi Movies'? Just IMAGINE how many people you might find out like 'Dune' by doing that! What an even FUNNER way to find out!

What if I get a response like the one I just got from you? I make an effort to raise your post count, I'm friendly and offer to help, and get slapped for it because it's not done the way you want it. If you don't want me here, I'll go.

I don't recall 'slapping' you at all. If I start to get slap-happy, you'd notice. :mrgreen:

My point is merely that you may wish to explore other fun avenues of learning about people than playing 'Hangman'.

Individual post counts are not important to me, or the site as a whole. Also, post counts are misleading - if you look at the top 2 threads on this site you'd be forgiven for thinking interesting dicussions were in progress, when closer inspection actually reveals 'The Ivy' and the 'Hangman' thread.

Candy Kane
Psychic detective

Postby Candy Kane » Wed Aug 11, 2010 5:10 pm

Shuggy wrote:If I misunderstood you; I apologise. The impression I got from your post was that you don't wish to interact much beyond "Hello. How are you?" in 'The Ivy'.

Forgiven and forgotten.

Candy Kane wrote:I don't recall 'slapping' you at all. If I start to get slap-happy, you'd notice. :mrgreen:

My point is merely that you may wish to explore other fun avenues of learning about people than playing 'Hangman'.

Sorry, but I'm a bit sore at the moment and may have been over-reacting. I will make more of an effort in the other threads because I said I would.

Individual post counts are not important to me, or the site as a whole. Also, post counts are misleading - if you look at the top 2 threads on this site you'd be forgiven for thinking interesting dicussions were in progress, when closer inspection actually reveals 'The Ivy' and the 'Hangman' thread.

I see what you mean, but those are my favourite threads. I'll post in a couple of the others, too.

Did I tell you I find your sig amusing? It always makes me laugh.

Edit: mischief managed: one for Dune and another for Tolkien.

Shuggy
Wyvern

Postby Shuggy » Wed Aug 11, 2010 6:04 pm

Candy Kane wrote:Sorry, but I'm a bit sore at the moment and may have been over-reacting. I will make more of an effort in the other threads because I said I would.

You don't have to apologise to me; you've done nothing wrong. I'm very thick-skinned and nigh on impossible to offend.

Candy Kane wrote:Did I tell you I find your sig amusing? It always makes me laugh.

I'm glad - that's what it's there for! :mrgreen:

Shuggy
Wyvern

Postby Shuggy » Wed Aug 11, 2010 6:09 pm

lotrfotrttrotk wrote:OK now we're getting a little ridiculous...

You both have your points, and you obviously have very different ideas of what you think is a "quality message board experience"...and why is this a problem?

The thing is, we all could make more of an effort to branch out into the areas of the board we may not have much experience in.
You don't have to be an expert on a topic to participate, maybe you'll learn something while you're there...even posting one post and not trying to participate in a lengthy discussion is good, it gives everyone more to think about and respond to.
Also, having completely off-topic conversations in a chat thread lets you get to know people as people in RL, which makes you feel more connected to people, something that can only help on on-topic discussion, I think.

Valid points on both sides, but neither extreme is necessary.

I'm not sure which of my points is 'extreme'.

Also, people familiar with my posting history - both here and RB - will know that I have never been an advocate of a strictly-enforced 'On-Topic' rule. I believe that any good discussion will meander and naturally grow branches as it continues; as long as it stays BROADLY on-topic, or only goes off-topic in a 'natural' way then I'm fine with it. I dislike inappropriate thread hijacking.

Other than this, I am in complete agreement with you.

Return to “Questions/Problems”