Site Graphics/Theme

Please ask any questions you have about the workings (intended or in error) of the site in here.
Cassie
Wyvern

Re: Site Graphics/Theme

Postby Cassie » Fri Apr 16, 2010 2:49 pm

Elvira that sounds like fun, go for it :D
[Under Construction]

MsBrandybuck
Wyvern

Postby MsBrandybuck » Sat Apr 17, 2010 5:55 pm

Ms McClelland - your site blew me away. And congrats on the work you've done so far- most impressive! :)

Whatever site home page/banner we do should be oringinal work- we don't want to get entangled in copyright issues.

A mish-mash of genres sounds linteresting!
"Today is a good day to die."
— Worf

ElviraStarkeeper
Grumbling Murloc

Postby ElviraStarkeeper » Tue Apr 20, 2010 7:37 am

I will get on the drawing of General Geekery as soon as i'm done papers and exams and moving >.<
Which is soon.

Also I must give credit to our new member Arkenstone, as he is the friend who started my brain off in this direction :D
You've got to change the world,
and use this chance to be heard.
But dancing is fine too :P

emclelland
Mome Rath

Postby emclelland » Fri Apr 30, 2010 8:56 pm

Hey guys,
Just wanted to pop my head in here and let you all know I'm alive and still working on the banner. Been working crazy hours here in Mumbai and only just managed to get our wifi cards working in the last few days. I'll try to get an update up over the next couple of days.
If any of you want to follow my blog for the trip its http://emclelland.blogspot.com
Hope you're all doing well.
:)
Formerly Evenstar33
My Website

Candy Kane
Psychic detective

Postby Candy Kane » Mon May 10, 2010 2:35 pm

Erm, I'd like to offer my services re: banner design and whatnot. I can post examples of what I can do where you can see them, if you like. If you like what you see, I'll give you the CSS code and you can take it from there.

http://writerswell.myfreeforum.org/

This is my usual haunt -- I've added an efiction component to it, and integrated a Blogger blog on top of a forum with web pages.
To err is but human, to forgive divine, and to design is AWESOME! :8

Candy Kane
Psychic detective

Postby Candy Kane » Thu May 13, 2010 12:34 am

Here's a rough of the idea I had, based on what you were all saying here: http://temp.forumotions.com/your-first-forum-f1/

This forum is a spare that I use to practice new themes on. It's not in use. If you like the theme, I'll give you the web address of the image so you can help yourself. You might want the brass bars and parchment backing, too. I'll give you all of that if you want it.

Candy Kane
Psychic detective

Postby Candy Kane » Thu May 13, 2010 12:53 am

Here's the revised template:

http://temp.forumotions.com/index.htm

That forum is a spare that I use to test new designs on. It's not in use.

Here's the logo by itself in case that's all you want: http://i67.servimg.com/u/f67/15/17/76/82/rememb11.png

The background is transparent, so it's ready to use as it is.

Azriel
Crimebuster

Postby Azriel » Thu May 13, 2010 3:10 pm

:shock:

That's a little... busy.
It's very nice of you to offer... I personally am not feeling it though :/
"The world of books is the most remarkable creation of man. Nothing else that he builds ever lasts. Monuments fall, nations perish, civilizations grow old and die out, and after an era of darkness new races build others. But in the world of books are volumes that have seen this happen again and again and yet live on, still young, still as fresh as the day they were written, still telling men's hearts of the hearts of men centuries dead."

Candy Kane
Psychic detective

Postby Candy Kane » Thu May 13, 2010 4:03 pm

Fair enough. I personally prefer a plain background with as few details as possible because I find them distracting. I also like pale colours because they're easy on the eye. I thought that people wanted something like that, so that's what I came up with.

The logo is separate -- I downloaded a lot of new fonts from a free fonts website and have been playing with them.

TomCotton
Vampire Slayer

Postby TomCotton » Thu May 13, 2010 4:21 pm

What was my impression and idea was a busy banner, not a busy background. If you could incorporate a lot of the graphics in that background and the logo that you came up with into a banner it could be one of the things to consider. Nice work, by the way. :)
§Doug§ AC000000 Eamus Catuli!!!!
Audere est Facere
"Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn’t go away." Philip K. Dick

Candy Kane
Psychic detective

Postby Candy Kane » Thu May 13, 2010 4:27 pm

What was my impression and idea was a busy banner, not a busy background.

Huh? Here's the banner: http://i67.servimg.com/u/f67/15/17/76/82/rememb11.png

I used a font called Rebuffed, then copied it, pasted it, changed the colour, then bevelled it. The background itself is transparent.

Do you want a plainer banner without the red outline?

If you could incorporate a lot of the graphics in that background and the logo that you came up with into a banner it could be one of the things to consider.

So you want a plainer background, but a few characters in the logo? Can do.

I can get rid of the starfield easily enough, and stick the whole lot on a plainer background.

Nice work, by the way. :)

Thanks. :D

Candy Kane
Psychic detective

Postby Candy Kane » Thu May 13, 2010 10:12 pm

Okay, I fooled about with it a bit, and came up with this: http://temp.forumotions.com/index.htm

I've got another design for the banner: http://i67.servimg.com/u/f67/15/17/76/82/rememb12.png

Which one do you prefer?

I could get rid of all the stuff down the sides and stick it all at the top in a banner that runs the length of the page if you like.

shireling
Frodo's Stewed Coney

Postby shireling » Fri May 14, 2010 12:19 am

You do beautiful work, Candy Kane.

'By Elbereth and Luthien the Fair, you shall have neither the Ring nor me! Engage!'
Avatar courtesy of Candy Kane, Webmistress Extraordinaire and Slayer of Trolls

Candy Kane
Psychic detective

Postby Candy Kane » Fri May 14, 2010 9:46 am

Thanks, Shireling. :D

TomCotton
Vampire Slayer

Postby TomCotton » Fri May 14, 2010 1:00 pm

First I want to make it clear that I do not like "Remember The Balrog" as a name for the site. It is just being used by me as an example. I am in no way endorsing that name. Remember: Don't Like, Not Endorsing, Just An Example. :D

Candy Kane:
Here is what I was imagining. The font you used for Remember The Balrog is good. Instead of having those graphics like the Tardis, and the gremlin, and the robot, and the eagle along the side of the page, I saw them as behind the words "Remember The Balrog" except "Remember The Balrog" should not be "Remember The Balrog" (Don't Like, Not Endorsing, Just An Example :D ). More of those kind of graphics should be scattered about behind the name of the site that will be eventually chosen (not Remember The Balrog [Don't Like, Not Endorsing, Just An Example :D ]). Perhaps even some poking out of the interior of parts of letters like the open space at the top of the "R". That is where the busy part of the banner should be.

The banner should be wide enough to stretch across the top of the web page, but not interfere with and navigation buttons or aides.

The attached is an example, using your "Remember The Balrog" (Remember: Don't Like, Not Endorsing, Just An Example :D ) title and some of the graphics you placed at either side of the example page. The large area of brown color in the example (Remember: Don't Like, Not Endorsing, Just An Example :D ) could be replaced with appropriate transparency or with some fancy texture.

That is what I had imagined when I first got into the discussion of what a banner for the new site should look like. :)

Of course a much more acceptable name would be used. :D :lol:
Attachments
banner04.jpg
(Remember: Don't Like Name, Not Endorsing, Just An Example :D )
banner04.jpg (9.9 KiB) Viewed 802 times
§Doug§ AC000000 Eamus Catuli!!!!
Audere est Facere
"Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn’t go away." Philip K. Dick

Return to “Questions/Problems”