Spam problems lately

Please ask any questions you have about the workings (intended or in error) of the site in here.
Azriel
Crimebuster

Re: Spam problems lately

Postby Azriel » Sun Apr 10, 2011 3:47 pm

Not to be a pain but.... is there any way to make those activate account e-mails not come to me? I got nearly 40 "activate new user account" emails when I opened my inbox today, lol.
"The world of books is the most remarkable creation of man. Nothing else that he builds ever lasts. Monuments fall, nations perish, civilizations grow old and die out, and after an era of darkness new races build others. But in the world of books are volumes that have seen this happen again and again and yet live on, still young, still as fresh as the day they were written, still telling men's hearts of the hearts of men centuries dead."

Candy Kane
Psychic detective

Postby Candy Kane » Sun Apr 10, 2011 3:56 pm

Sorry, no, you're an admin. Worry not, though, I've dealt with all of them. When I went through the admin log, I saw how much you did to sort the trolls out: good on ya!

I hope your workload in Japan is easing up. It'd be nice to see you spending more time here for pleasure rather than business.

Edit:

I've just thought of something: you can set your email filters to send messages with the subject "Activate New Members" straight to trash. End of problem, because I'll take responsibility for them.
To err is but human, to forgive divine, and to design is AWESOME! :8

v0id
Mome Rath

Postby v0id » Mon Apr 18, 2011 12:03 am

Use the phpbb.com recommended Question & Answer captcha and set activation back to user :/

Candy Kane
Psychic detective

Postby Candy Kane » Mon Apr 18, 2011 4:52 pm

When we did that, the trolls signed up manually. The toerags! I've got them blocked as best I can, and none of them have slipped past the net.

Edit: Hey V0id, it looks like you were right. When I went to change the settings, I had a look at what we were doing to counter spambots, and found that we didn't have a Capcha account, so I set one up. Problem solved! I've had it back on user-activated registration all day and haven't had to block anyone. Thanks for the tip!

TomCotton
Vampire Slayer

Postby TomCotton » Tue Apr 26, 2011 4:42 pm

viestyOutsism has infected a bunch of places
§Doug§ AC000000 Eamus Catuli!!!!
Audere est Facere
"Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn’t go away." Philip K. Dick

Candy Kane
Psychic detective

Postby Candy Kane » Tue Apr 26, 2011 4:57 pm

Thanks for the heads-up. It's a troll who has visited us before and decided to re-register manually. I've banned it by email, etc. If it wants to keep being banned, that's up to it.

Return to “Questions/Problems”