Spam problems lately

Please ask any questions you have about the workings (intended or in error) of the site in here.
Candy Kane
Psychic detective

Re: Spam problems lately

Postby Candy Kane » Mon Apr 04, 2011 9:59 pm

No problem. I love this forum and want it to live long and prosper!
To err is but human, to forgive divine, and to design is AWESOME! :8

shireling
Frodo's Stewed Coney

Postby shireling » Mon Apr 04, 2011 11:43 pm

And all we Vulcans agree :yes: ...hmmmm, need more fingers.

"He who learns must suffer. And even in our sleep pain that cannot forget falls drop by drop upon the heart, and in our own despair, against our will, comes wisdom to us by the awful grace of God." - Aeschylus

Avatar courtesy of Candy Kane, Webmistress Extraordinaire and Slayer of Trolls

Candy Kane
Psychic detective

Postby Candy Kane » Tue Apr 05, 2011 8:21 am

Well whaddaya know? I DO get alerts when someone joins. Checking...

Troll! By IP and email. And the Hammer of Grabthar.

shireling
Frodo's Stewed Coney

Postby shireling » Tue Apr 05, 2011 4:39 pm

Trolls are like that, I'm afraid. Even those with only one head apiece.

"He who learns must suffer. And even in our sleep pain that cannot forget falls drop by drop upon the heart, and in our own despair, against our will, comes wisdom to us by the awful grace of God." - Aeschylus

Candy Kane
Psychic detective

Postby Candy Kane » Tue Apr 05, 2011 4:53 pm

I've had a rush of new joiners, but I've got a new weapon: you can ban multiple emails at once. I'm banning every email associated with a particular username or IP that I find on Stop Forum Spam.

shireling
Frodo's Stewed Coney

Postby shireling » Wed Apr 06, 2011 1:04 am

I'm glad you're so keenly on watch, Candy, but it's beyond ridiculous to me that you have to be. No forum should have to be so vigilant. What a bunch of zeros :roll:.

Candy Kane
Psychic detective

Postby Candy Kane » Wed Apr 06, 2011 9:10 am

Ah, well, it's their loss. If they weren't such idiots, I'd gladly let them join, but you don't get onto Stop Forum Spam for being decent and friendly.

MsBrandybuck
Wyvern

Postby MsBrandybuck » Wed Apr 06, 2011 1:24 pm

Thank you Candy. I appreciate that you're willing to spend the time to play goalie for the forums. ;)
I wish some of the other mods could make a little time to be around to help.
"Today is a good day to die."
— Worf

Candy Kane
Psychic detective

Postby Candy Kane » Wed Apr 06, 2011 1:36 pm

I work from home -- online. As a web designer, as it happens, so I'm always available. People in office jobs with more commitments might not have the time.

The thing about my catch-all banning is that I don't have to do it very often. There aren't all that many trolls about. It's just that the few hundred or so that exist have a multitude of email addresses and proxy IPs. By banning every IP and email account associated with a particular troll, I stop the bugger coming back again. They get fed up after a while when they keep getting "You are not allowed to post here" or "You are not allowed to register" or "Connection timed out. rememberthebalrog.org is not available. Check your settings, etc.," every time they try to get on here.

They'll give up after a while. In my experience, they come in waves, on and on, and when they don't get what they want, they move on. We can't be all that much fun for them since we don't engage with them or react with anger or alarm when they start posting nonsense here. Then they get banned. Now they're getting banned before they've made their first posts, and when they try to come back with an alias, they're stopped before they start.

I know they tend to chat to each other, so sooner or later word will get around that we're not easy pickin's.

Azriel
Crimebuster

Postby Azriel » Fri Apr 08, 2011 3:49 pm

Hello all. Sorry I've not been around lately. I got a lot going on with this whole earthquake thing (just had a 7.4 aftershock last night) + my jobs + getting married + moving to a different country :p

I really can't do the mod thing, sorry :( For a while when we first started getting spammers I was coming by every day or so and checking the new member list - deleting all the trolls. But I stopped when it looked like they did.
Now that they're back though, I don't have time to do it. Thanks for taking care of that Candy.
"The world of books is the most remarkable creation of man. Nothing else that he builds ever lasts. Monuments fall, nations perish, civilizations grow old and die out, and after an era of darkness new races build others. But in the world of books are volumes that have seen this happen again and again and yet live on, still young, still as fresh as the day they were written, still telling men's hearts of the hearts of men centuries dead."

Candy Kane
Psychic detective

Postby Candy Kane » Fri Apr 08, 2011 4:08 pm

Don't worry, Az, I've got our backs. You do what you need to and rest assured that we all understand. No trolls have got through since I took control of the way people register, and none will.

I hope things are better for you now.

shireling
Frodo's Stewed Coney

Postby shireling » Fri Apr 08, 2011 5:47 pm

It's so good to hear from you, Az. :hug: Been following along everyday since since the bigger one.

MsBrandybuck
Wyvern

Postby MsBrandybuck » Fri Apr 08, 2011 5:51 pm

Azzy - you're excused! :)
I didn't mean to indict everyone with my comment.
"Today is a good day to die."
— Worf

shireling
Frodo's Stewed Coney

Postby shireling » Sun Apr 10, 2011 2:21 am

I understood what you meant, Ms.B. :) Having the spammers and their word salads removed, brightens this place up. It feels all scrubbed and shiny, like me on a sunny day without sunblock :D .

Candy Kane
Psychic detective

Postby Candy Kane » Sun Apr 10, 2011 2:10 pm

I hate trolls, and having this power to ban them before they can even sign up pleases me greatly. I went through the membership testing the accounts of people who have never posted. Only fifteen or so were not on Stop Forum Spam. The rest were banned and deleted. The innocents I've left alone. They'll post when they want to.

The ones who were trolls and never posted probably got banned on their other email and IP addresses, which I ban as a matter of course, and so weren't able to post in the first place.

I'll tell you what's weird: one email address with a hundred or more pen names. Some of those buggers are dedicated to the trolling cause! They try to sneak past by do.i.n.g.@this.com, but SFS doesn't recognise the stops so the addresses come up anyway.

You'll sometimes get one email with a lot of different IPs because they're using proxies. There's no real point in banning the proxies because they don't last long. They'll work for an hour or so, then you have to get another one. I ban IPs with multiple emails on because that's the main one for that particular troll, so it stops him coming back under a new alias and email.

Apologies to anyone who's innocent and using mail.ru or anything.pl or nl, but since they're always being used by trolls, I've had to blanket ban those. gmail and yahoo gets used by them too, but many of our members use them so I'll just have to ban trolls using those accounts one at a time. They're trailing off now, as predicted, and will soon move on to find an easier target.

Return to “Questions/Problems”