Spam problems lately

Please ask any questions you have about the workings (intended or in error) of the site in here.
TomCotton
Vampire Slayer

Spam problems lately

Postby TomCotton » Mon Jan 17, 2011 1:19 pm

The past few days have shown a few spam posts from made up username accounts. This problem crops up way too often on this board. Is there anyway that a better screening process for registering can be incorporated into RTB.org? The forums that I am a member of that require a manual input of a code during the registration process still have hundreds of members, with more joining everyday so the extra step is not a deterence for new actual members wanting to join and contribute non-spam posts.

Today's harvest:
In General Discussion > Current Events > Quirky > And Cymbalta Taking Synthroid username: arererany

In General Chat > Affottephen cheap phentermine braplesuepe username: apoeboaxpriomo

Edit: As I was typing the above another one showed up

General Geekery > Movies > Format Factory Скачать username: Desskeriere
§Doug§ AC000000 Eamus Catuli!!!!
Audere est Facere
"Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn’t go away." Philip K. Dick

shireling
Frodo's Stewed Coney

Re: Spam problems lately

Postby shireling » Mon Jan 17, 2011 7:53 pm

I know :( . Other than Candy, I don't know where the rest of Mods have gone.

"He who learns must suffer. And even in our sleep pain that cannot forget falls drop by drop upon the heart, and in our own despair, against our will, comes wisdom to us by the awful grace of God." - Aeschylus

Avatar courtesy of Candy Kane, Webmistress Extraordinaire and Slayer of Trolls

-O-
Site Admin

Postby -O- » Mon Jan 17, 2011 9:50 pm

Sorry about that i deleted the offenders and another potential spammer on the members list, and i also changed the captcha security to a QnA setting. Hopefully that will help but ill try and keep a closer eye on things.

shireling
Frodo's Stewed Coney

Postby shireling » Tue Jan 18, 2011 1:04 am

:hug: Thanks so much -O-! :)

"He who learns must suffer. And even in our sleep pain that cannot forget falls drop by drop upon the heart, and in our own despair, against our will, comes wisdom to us by the awful grace of God." - Aeschylus

Withywindle
Evil Lair Tourguide

Postby Withywindle » Tue Jan 18, 2011 7:40 pm

LOL. :D There's more spam from a RobespierreAbdul. At least the names are bit more entertaining than a random selection of numbers and letters here!
Dear Mister Fantasy play us a tune / Something to make us all happy / Do anything to take us out of this gloom / Sing a song, play guitar / Make it snappy ...

Azriel
Crimebuster

Postby Azriel » Thu Jan 20, 2011 1:17 pm

Heh that is an imaginative name.
He even said he was a spammer and asked to be deleted. Weirdo.

I just went through and found about 6 spam accounts. (you can always tell if they put "golf" as their interest they're a spammer)
I did IP bans and then deleted them. Not sure why the sudden spammer attention....

Sorry I've not been around to be administrator-ey. Been busy. Got a wedding and trans-global move coming up donchaknow.
"The world of books is the most remarkable creation of man. Nothing else that he builds ever lasts. Monuments fall, nations perish, civilizations grow old and die out, and after an era of darkness new races build others. But in the world of books are volumes that have seen this happen again and again and yet live on, still young, still as fresh as the day they were written, still telling men's hearts of the hearts of men centuries dead."

TomCotton
Vampire Slayer

Postby TomCotton » Thu Jan 20, 2011 5:14 pm

Seems like them Rooskies is actin' up again. :mad:
Audere est Facere
"Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn’t go away." Philip K. Dick

shireling
Frodo's Stewed Coney

Postby shireling » Thu Jan 20, 2011 8:13 pm

Azriel wrote:Heh that is an imaginative name.
He even said he was a spammer and asked to be deleted. Weirdo.

Ours is not to reason why :roll:.

I just went through and found about 6 spam accounts. (you can always tell if they put "golf" as their interest they're a spammer)....

:lol: Then why aren't they off on the course spoiling a good walk? Oh, sorry - I'm asking a question for which there is no answer.

Sorry I've not been around to be administrator-ey. Been busy. Got a wedding and trans-global move coming up donchaknow.

Since my arms are so short, I've been hugging myself over your upcoming adventures!!!
Oh, I simply can not wait to live vicariously through you :yay: !!!

Azriel
Crimebuster

Postby Azriel » Fri Jan 21, 2011 7:11 am

Hehe thanks Shireling I'm pretty excited as well. Looking at honeymoon options now. They're limited because of our visa restrictions but it looks like we might be going to the US Virgin Islands. Woohoo!

Just cleared out 6 more spammers. They're pretty much all Russian.

I wonder if we can just ban all Russian IP addresses?
"The world of books is the most remarkable creation of man. Nothing else that he builds ever lasts. Monuments fall, nations perish, civilizations grow old and die out, and after an era of darkness new races build others. But in the world of books are volumes that have seen this happen again and again and yet live on, still young, still as fresh as the day they were written, still telling men's hearts of the hearts of men centuries dead."

Candy Kane
Psychic detective

Postby Candy Kane » Fri Jan 21, 2011 10:59 am

If you're not sure whether someone is a spammer or not, copy and paste their IP into the search box here: http://www.stopforumspam.com/

If nothing crops up, type in their email address, just to be sure.

Have you noticed that they're all from Russia and Poland? Weird!
To err is but human, to forgive divine, and to design is AWESOME! :8

Azriel
Crimebuster

Postby Azriel » Fri Jan 21, 2011 1:49 pm

I used to have a board and ALL the spammers there were from Russia. I never had one legit person sign up from Russia, that's why I think it's probably safe to IP ban the whole country (if possible)

Candy Kane
Psychic detective

Postby Candy Kane » Fri Jan 21, 2011 1:59 pm

I'm inclined to agree.

TomCotton
Vampire Slayer

Postby TomCotton » Fri Jan 21, 2011 7:54 pm

Back in 1999 I found a Russian site that had all of JRR Tolkien's books in electronic form so you could download them. :8
Audere est Facere

Candy Kane
Psychic detective

Postby Candy Kane » Fri Jan 21, 2011 10:24 pm

Handy! What's the link?

Azriel
Crimebuster

Postby Azriel » Sat Jan 22, 2011 4:07 pm

Got rid of some more today.

I also enabled user authentication, so before they can post they have to check their email and click the verification link.
AND I banned an IP range that seems to be cropping up a lot. There's a Ukrainian host called ukrtel.net that seems to be what a lot of the spammers are using. Maybe it'll help.

Return to “Questions/Problems”