Forum layout

Please ask any questions you have about the workings (intended or in error) of the site in here.
Cassie
Wyvern

Forum layout

Postby Cassie » Sun Mar 21, 2010 5:10 pm

Ok we need ideas on what forums we want, where we want them and what we want them called!

I'm going to leave this forum as "Workshops" for now as that works even outside of Tolkien, but other suggestions are welcome. I'm also going to leave Gondolin as Gondolin as that will be hidden anyway :)

I think we need to keep a Declarations type forum for newcomers to come and say hi, and for us to have forum rules. We also want some kind of Tolkien forum, writing forum, movies, books etc. Please post your suggestions for a layout!

We can have this kind of set-up:

-Category name
--Forum
---Subforum

So an example would be:

-Fantasy
--Movies
---Comic book movies
---Old movies
---New release movies

We don't have to use sub-forums (we haven't in the past) but we could :)
[Under Construction]

Allegra
Mome Rath

Re: Forum layout

Postby Allegra » Sun Mar 21, 2010 5:38 pm

I'm interested in Science fiction programs. Can we have forums for Supernatural and Lost in forums.

Cassie
Wyvern

Postby Cassie » Sun Mar 21, 2010 5:56 pm

Certainly :)
[Under Construction]

Niamh Sage
House Elf

Postby Niamh Sage » Sun Mar 21, 2010 8:28 pm

I think that structure I suggested before might work, i.e. the main forums for the type of medium (books, movies, music) and then each of those broken down into genre and then fandom. E.g.:

Books
- Fantasy
--Tolkien
--Pratchett
-SF
-- ...er, um, I don't know because it's been years :oops: Azimov? Heinlein?

Something like that anyway. Does that seem like a decent idea?

I think a Declarations=style forum for intros and rules is a good idea as you've said, and perhaps there could also be a forum for feedback/queries (or would you want that down the bottom like on old RB?)

I'm not sure what to do about a writing forum though. My sense is that all the writing should be kept in one place, rather than splitting fanfic and rpgs over the fandom forums. Maybe Writing could be the head forum, then split down into RP, Fanfic and original? Although there are other kinds of creative output too (art, films etc.). Argh! I'll have to give this one more thought. Sorry for being so incoherent, head is sore from 'filling in' tax forms (i.e. saying 'oh I don't know the answer to that one, let's ask your Mum tomorrow' :P ).

TomCotton
Vampire Slayer

Postby TomCotton » Sun Mar 21, 2010 9:11 pm

Sub forums are a good idea.
A Sci-Fi forum would be good.
A Food forum would be good. Me likey. :D

I feel we need to keep a Tolkien specific forum. Not much discussion about Tolkien has taken place at RB, but it is always good to have a Tolkien forum available. :)
§Doug§ AC000000 Eamus Catuli!!!!
Audere est Facere
"Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn’t go away." Philip K. Dick

lisapizzapie
N00b

Postby lisapizzapie » Sun Mar 21, 2010 10:16 pm

Adding Sci-fi would be good.

Adding TV as well as movies would be good too.
My karma ran over my dogma

Cassie
Wyvern

Postby Cassie » Sun Mar 21, 2010 10:18 pm

Niamh, I think that looks good, though I wonder if we may have to add sub-forums later on as we see what types of threads grow out of "Fantasy" and "Sci-Fi" etc? Perhaps we need to get the categories out there (movies/books etc), then work on the forums (fantasy etc), and then the sub-forums after that....

I think I will just leave this forum for questions for the moment. We can always alter/split it up later if needed (into perhaps board questions/internet questions/pc questions etc).

For the writing area, I'm thinking that having that as a category, and then spliting it down into forums (fanfic/RPGs/journals), and into sub-forums after that if needed. Or actually, with you saying "creative output" perhaps that could be the main category, and then split it down into writing/art/videos etc. Basically, it could be the category for anyone who wants to show off something that they have made. How does that sound?

Tom, agreed on the Tolkien part. We can certainly put that in the book section, and with the Hobbit coming, in the movie section.

I'm thinking food discussion could go in a more "off topic" (though we won't call it that) area, along with general chat (Hobbiton-ish), and anything else we can't find a home for maybe? Or should it be with the "interests" section because that's what it is....ACK!! Too much brain power required lol. I might end up just making all the forums and then moving them around under the categories until it makes sense LOL.

ETA: Hi Lisa :D TV as well, good point.
[Under Construction]

shireling
Frodo's Stewed Coney

Postby shireling » Sun Mar 21, 2010 10:35 pm

I agree with NS about writing (good luck with the taxes :hug:). Keeping it all in one place (except for journaling) makes sense to me. I would like to have a journal
forum again, like "There and Back Again." (No kidding, I was just thinking about starting a new thread there this week.)

Also, having a - say, an authors forum - and break it down from there. That way Asimov & Clark could sit cheek-by-jowl with Tolkien & Rowling; Michael Crichton
& Stephen King, and as people come on board maybe they can add their own favorites. If down the road, one genre seems to be overtaking the others, maybe then it could be split further. Just throwin' it out there; sub-forums sounds like a plan to me, too.

And like Tom, I'm very attached to a specificTolkien forum.

'By Elbereth and Luthien the Fair, you shall have neither the Ring nor me! Engage!'
Avatar courtesy of Candy Kane, Webmistress Extraordinaire and Slayer of Trolls

PatriotBlade
Wyvern

Postby PatriotBlade » Mon Mar 22, 2010 5:29 am

Perhaps in the Welcome Forum, there should also be an "addoptions" type place where Noobies get taken under an experienced poster's wing till they learn the ropes? This system has worked for another postboard I frequent and it helps the mods by minimizing some of the moving and locking of threads the noobs create during the learning process.

This place could also have some "read only" threads that list the spesific TOS and some "How To 101" type stuff.

I also love the sub-folders/forums idea! :mrgreen:
Staring at the blank page before you, open up the dirty window, let the sun illuminate the words that you could not find. Today is where your book begins, the rest is still UNWRITTEN...

Shuggy
Wyvern
Location: Navigating Defecation Creek Without Any Oars Whatsoever.

Postby Shuggy » Mon Mar 22, 2010 11:25 am

I'd try and avoid sub-forums; they're a pain in the balls.

Just some general Forum headings like 'Talking Tolkein', (Maybe sub-divide that into books, movies etc), 'Movies', 'Books', Gaming (RP, Computers, Consoles), etc and then just let posters have at it. Perhaps break down 'Movies' into sub-forums for more enduring films, like 'Star Wars Discussion', 'Upcoming', 'Classic', as suggested.
"Your Mother Cooks Socks in Hell!"

Shuggy
Wyvern

Postby Shuggy » Mon Mar 22, 2010 11:31 am

First thing I'd do as well is change the theme on the site from the default - I'm sure you get a couple of other themes thrown in with PHPBB, IIRC? That's half the battle.

Then you also need people who have access to implement (directed) change while you're sleeping. You can't be expected to take all this on by yourself.

margarath
House Elf

Postby margarath » Mon Mar 22, 2010 1:03 pm

I'm not sure about sub-forums either - it can get a bit bitty or end up moving things all the time as topics evolve. I think the main consideration is whether to split initially based on medium (i.e. Books/Films/TV etc) or on genre. Personally I think I prefer the genre model to some extent, as it keeps (for example) discussion about star trek on TV and star trek films in a similar place. The difficulty is of course coming up with the categories...

Food is a very good plan. Yum.

Cassie
Wyvern

Postby Cassie » Mon Mar 22, 2010 3:05 pm

Yeah I think no matter which way around we do things we'll have to split something up....As for the sub-forums, I am also concerned that it could get out of hand and we end up with hundreds of them :shock: I think I said earlier (or I thought it and forgot to write it down...) that perhaps we should start will normal forums and split them up to sub-forums if/when needed. Sub-forums probably wouldn't work in every area anyway (though I can see it working better in the creative output area).

Adoptions could be something we add later on, if we get bigger. For the moment we're just old RBers who know what we are doing anyway, mostly :lol: Yes to the read-only threads though.

Site theme is on the to-do list, but I want the forum layout sorted first.
[Under Construction]

Shuggy
Wyvern

Postby Shuggy » Mon Mar 22, 2010 3:41 pm

Cassie wrote:Site theme is on the to-do list, but I want the forum layout sorted first.

Fair one. Know what I think? You've got a good general idea of what people are wanting to see Forum-wise - just throw some Forums out there, and let people start posting. Then you can add and prune where necessary. It may be easier for you to visualise and create a structure once there are a few forums being used. I always find it easier to add/prune/tweak exisisting rudimentary structures, rather than try and give birth to something near-enough fully-formed! (Ouch!).

But I appreciate everyone has different ways of doing stuff.

Cassie
Wyvern

Postby Cassie » Mon Mar 22, 2010 6:11 pm

No actually I was planning on doing that....great minds ;) but at the moment I'm at work :P I will have a poke with it tonight though because you're right, we need to actually see it to see if we like it. Plus it's easy enough to change around later if we find that it would work better the opposite way. We aren't going to get it perfect first time. Plus, going back to what you said earlier about me not doing all of this - once the forums are up and running, those that want to "look after" an area can go do their stuff (start threads explaining the forum(s) etc whatever they think). That way I'll do the bits that require admin access and they can do the mod access bits. That will definitely help :) Plus we need to get Gondolin up so we can talk about you behind your backs :P
[Under Construction]

Return to “Questions/Problems”