Forum layout

Please ask any questions you have about the workings (intended or in error) of the site in here.
Vairë
Crimebuster

Re: Forum layout

Postby Vairë » Mon Apr 05, 2010 7:13 am

LOL Niamh! :lol:
And now to test out my avatar...

...and it worked! Yay!
ImageI am Vairë the Weaver, weaving the tapestries which cover the walls of the halls of Mandos and tell the story of all things within Time.

Azriel
Crimebuster

Postby Azriel » Mon Apr 05, 2010 3:15 pm

Coming to this discussion a bit late I know....

Re: sub-forums. I agree about not having too many of them, otherwise we'll end up with TONS of sub-forums that only have a few posts in each. Also, I think if we start making sub-forums for specific fandoms then everyone will want a forum for their favorite thing. That way madness lies O_O

PB suggested a section for adoptions, but personally I don't like the idea of adoptions because it makes the boards seem like there are lots of complicated rules to get used to and secret handshakes to learn. I think that if people can't figure the boards out themselves, they can ask the mods questions - isn't that one of the reasons why mods exist?

I'm still open to helping run a writing and or book section.
Being a fan of minimalism, I would suggest only four sub forums in that section. Writing Discussion - Tips and Advice. Fan-fiction. Original writing (this would include fiction, and non-fiction). And Poetry.

I feel like RPGs don't belong in a writing section but should be more in a gaming section or maybe their own section.
Journals seem strange to me to have on a forum, since there are so many free blogging sites out there - but if people want them and use/read them then that would belong in a writing section too.

Another thought: maybe mods could also be responsible to keep their sections lively. If they see things are slowing down a bit, they could make a point to start new and interesting discussion topics. ?
"The world of books is the most remarkable creation of man. Nothing else that he builds ever lasts. Monuments fall, nations perish, civilizations grow old and die out, and after an era of darkness new races build others. But in the world of books are volumes that have seen this happen again and again and yet live on, still young, still as fresh as the day they were written, still telling men's hearts of the hearts of men centuries dead."

Padfoot
Rampaging Blood Elf

Postby Padfoot » Mon Apr 05, 2010 4:00 pm

Still working my way through the new forum... OK, I'll probably get salmoned for that one...

Will we keep the "appreciation" section? :mrgreen: :roll: :mrgreen: :lol: I've become sooo used to it... :lol: :lol: (yup, I've discovered the Fandom section by now, I think I'll wait for Passo to start a new thread :lol: )
Imagerichardkf7 by Martina Immel, auf Flickr

Cassie
Wyvern

Postby Cassie » Wed Apr 07, 2010 1:17 am

I'm still here, work is kicking my butt though, but I'm fiddling bits when I can :D

Oh man, wings/no wings! Do you remember when someone actually described an experiment with a tube and a chicken was it?? Fun times :lol:

Az, good points! And sorting out individual forum mods is next on my list. Once you guys are up and running you can go wild in your area and see what you can do with it :) Az, Niamh, I'll be using the two of you as guinea-pigs. Once you're up and running, perhaps you can discuss about what to do with the RPGs?

Paddy, feel free to start your own brand of "fandom" ;) :lol:
[Under Construction]

Niamh Sage
House Elf

Postby Niamh Sage » Wed Apr 07, 2010 5:55 am

Cassie: wasn't it a budgie in a tube? I was thinking about that just yesterday, as Arni and I argued the point over breakfast (for old time's sake).

I'm happy to be a guineapig for modding purposes! I'll try not to pee nervously in the corners of the forum and leave little 'pellets' everywhere. :P

lotrfotrttrotk
Crimebuster

Postby lotrfotrttrotk » Wed Apr 07, 2010 6:26 am

Niamh :lol:
All that is gold does not glitter; Not all those who wander are lost.
The old that is strong does not whither; deep roots are not reached by the frost.
From the ashes a fire shall be woken; a light from the shadows shall spring.
Renewed shall be blade that was broken; the crownless again shall be King."

Azriel
Crimebuster

Postby Azriel » Wed Apr 07, 2010 7:23 am

I'm fairly certain it was KraggTheGrimm who suggested a budgie in a paper towel tube experiment :p
Haven't seen him in a while... last I heard - maybe a year and a half ago? - he was doing well.

Then of course we had a member whose whole name centered around the debate - nowingsforbalrog.

Also happy to be a guinea pig.... but if Niamh starts peeing in corners, I might reconsider ;)
"The world of books is the most remarkable creation of man. Nothing else that he builds ever lasts. Monuments fall, nations perish, civilizations grow old and die out, and after an era of darkness new races build others. But in the world of books are volumes that have seen this happen again and again and yet live on, still young, still as fresh as the day they were written, still telling men's hearts of the hearts of men centuries dead."

Cassie
Wyvern

Postby Cassie » Tue Apr 13, 2010 8:46 pm

No peeing! :P

I will play with you two tomorrow *rubs hands together evily*
[Under Construction]

Niamh Sage
House Elf

Postby Niamh Sage » Wed Apr 14, 2010 4:04 am

*crosses legs* :P

Cassie
Wyvern

Postby Cassie » Wed Apr 14, 2010 8:03 pm

lol ok Niamh can you ferret around the Writing section and subforums and see if you have the option to edit, delete, split, merge topics. You should also be able to post announcements. Can you also check that you CANNOT do the above things in other forums? I have just modded you in the Writing section, not the whole of the Creative Output section. If anything looks funky let me know!
[Under Construction]

Niamh Sage
House Elf

Postby Niamh Sage » Thu Apr 15, 2010 7:26 am

Thanks Cassie, I will commence ferretting tomorrow, on my day off. I hope this is soon enough!

ps guinea pigs and ferrets? Are you asking for trouble? :P

Cassie
Wyvern

Postby Cassie » Thu Apr 15, 2010 6:38 pm

I'm obviously in an animal mood :lol:
[Under Construction]

resoundingjoy
Disturber of Cthulhu's Slumber

Postby resoundingjoy » Thu Apr 15, 2010 8:23 pm

^ I think I'm scared.

lotrfotrttrotk
Crimebuster

Postby lotrfotrttrotk » Thu Apr 15, 2010 8:47 pm

hmmmmm...I might be too.
All that is gold does not glitter; Not all those who wander are lost.
The old that is strong does not whither; deep roots are not reached by the frost.
From the ashes a fire shall be woken; a light from the shadows shall spring.
Renewed shall be blade that was broken; the crownless again shall be King."

Shuggy
Wyvern
Location: Navigating Defecation Creek Without Any Oars Whatsoever.

Postby Shuggy » Fri Apr 16, 2010 9:11 am

Cassie wrote:I'm obviously in an animal mood :lol:

<snork!>
"Your Mother Cooks Socks in Hell!"

Return to “Questions/Problems”