NAME THE NEW SITE!

Please ask any questions you have about the workings (intended or in error) of the site in here.
shireling
Frodo's Stewed Coney

Re: NAME THE NEW SITE!

Postby shireling » Wed Apr 21, 2010 10:32 pm

And I'm sorry, guys - I want to change my vote to "Remember the Balrog", too. It's feels just right.

"I would like an abundance of peace. I would like full vessels of charity. I would like rich treasures of mercy. I would like cheerfulness to preside over all." - St. Brigid of Kildare

Avatar courtesy of Candy Kane, Webmistress Extraordinaire and Slayer of Trolls

Azriel
Crimebuster

Postby Azriel » Thu Apr 22, 2010 5:32 am

I'm happy with both names that abbreviate to RB.
There are things to be said for both. Remember the Balrog doesn't really sound like one would find sci-fi things here - I'm not a big sci-fi fan so that doesn't bother me, but it seems we might want to consider that.
Realms Beyond is more encompassing but also, not unique. It's fairly normal sounding. Remember the Balrog is more likely to get people to give it a second look I think.

So... emotionally and nostalgically (and for advertising's sake) my choice is Remember the Balrog. But in keeping with our idea of making the site more of an all encompassing geek site, Realms Beyond is my choice.
Either is cool with me.
"The world of books is the most remarkable creation of man. Nothing else that he builds ever lasts. Monuments fall, nations perish, civilizations grow old and die out, and after an era of darkness new races build others. But in the world of books are volumes that have seen this happen again and again and yet live on, still young, still as fresh as the day they were written, still telling men's hearts of the hearts of men centuries dead."

Mistress
N00b

Postby Mistress » Thu Apr 22, 2010 8:37 am

Some great points. :)

I really like 'Remember the Balrog' for the nods to the RB of old. And I agree that having Balrog in the title is going to create some curiousity as well. :mrgreen:

The other name I liked was alt.worlds, but I think I'll go with the Balrog. :D

Shuggy
Wyvern
Location: Navigating Defecation Creek Without Any Oars Whatsoever.

Postby Shuggy » Thu Apr 22, 2010 1:07 pm

If we're going to throw this site open to others apart from ex-RBers and attract new membership "Remember the Balrog" isn't even an option - It would defeat the whole purpose of starting a new site; it is just too Tolkien-centric, and that is not what this site is supposed to be about anymore. We may as well just call this place 'RingBearer', or close it down and go back to the old site.

What does 'Remember the Balrog' even MEAN to somebody who was never a member of RB? Nothing; it's an in-joke for those 'in the know', which could alienate new membership.

I think people have lost sight of the fact that we're not just starting up another incarnation of RB - we're trying something new.
"Your Mother Cooks Socks in Hell!"

Cassie
Wyvern

Postby Cassie » Thu Apr 22, 2010 2:45 pm

But...but...Balrog :(

Shug, I don't think people have lost sight of that, nearly everyone has said that while we do like the Balrog, it hints more to our past than our future. Maybe we can call one of the forums here "Remember the Balrog", and use it for remaniscing or something....I dunno. We need to use it somewhere. But yes, I agree, we need something that appeals to more than just Tolkien.
[Under Construction]

Cassie
Wyvern

Postby Cassie » Thu Apr 22, 2010 2:56 pm

Ok hang on, I've had second thoughts. Anyone looking for a forum to post about sci-fi/fantasy/whatever is going to use those search terms in their search engine of choice. The tags for this site are going to have those terms, and we will be picked up and listed. The name of the site isn't as important as that. Just as long as we make it clear on the front page that we are fantasy/sci-fi and not Tolkien-specific, then it doesn't matter. We could even have it in the site description like: Remember the Balrog - Where Sci-Fi and Fantasy Come Alive! or something less corny.

Anyway, my point is that I know when I google, I rarely look at the site name, I look at the content.
[Under Construction]

locksley
House Elf

Postby locksley » Thu Apr 22, 2010 5:07 pm

I do the same, Cassie. :)

While I do like Realms Beyond (as a second choice) it sounds like every other fantasy/sci-fi site out there. 'Remember the Balrog' is fun and clever, and I think it will make fantasy/sci-fi fans want to come on in and investigate. ;)
"He walked into mid-autumn, hearing nothing but the winds. One night as he sat before his fire, vaguely feeling the winds urge against his shape, he looked down and saw the starred harp in his hands ..." (Mckillip, The Riddle Master trilogy)

Shuggy
Wyvern

Postby Shuggy » Thu Apr 22, 2010 5:36 pm

Cassie wrote:Anyway, my point is that I know when I google, I rarely look at the site name, I look at the content.

Well that makes you and Locks. If I personally entered a sci-fi themed search into Google and the search returned "Remember the Balrog", I'd motor right past it. But that's just you, and that's just me. Only time and the members list would tell for sure.

Why are people so fixated with connecting back to RB in some way - to the extent that the site has to be named so the initials HAVE to be 'RB', limiting our options? People are forgetting the biggest connection of all - the people; we all currently share the fact that we have all come from RB and it is ultimately the people and characters that make a site - nothing can change our collective history. It's been a month and all the important/interested people from RB are here.

As previously stated, we potentially run the risk of simply recreating RB in a different location.

As I also said, 'Realms Beyond' would be my choice if people simply cannot bear to leave 'RB' behind, and on second thoughts, that DOES cover both Sci-Fi and Fantasy - even comics if you squint with your brain!

MsBrandybuck
Wyvern

Postby MsBrandybuck » Thu Apr 22, 2010 5:55 pm

I have to agree with Shuggy; Remember the Balrog is not a good site name ofr all the reason already listed. (LOL @ "squint with your brain." I may borrow that line...)

It can STILL work as a forum description, or banner, or something else (did someone mention Easter Eggs?)

Cassie, have you done a search to make sure that 'Realms Beyond' is not already in use somewhere? I don't know why, but it has a familiar ring to me.
"Today is a good day to die."
— Worf

Cassie
Wyvern

Postby Cassie » Thu Apr 22, 2010 6:23 pm

MsB, I don't know why someone didn't suggest that before, but yes, there's not only several sites called Realms Beyond but one of them even calls the posters RBers :shock: I was driving when I thought that up :(

Ok well that pretty much ends it for this thread... :lol:

As a side note though, and I'm using this to back up what I said before, there are several sites that I visit regularly that are to do with World of Warcraft. One of them is called wow.com. Unless you play or know of Warcraft you may not know that we abbreviate it to WoW. Likewise, another is called wowhead.com. The third one I visit is called Thottbot, and even though I have used it for years I have no freaking idea why it's called that :lol: My point being, it's the content of those sites that I use, not the name of the site. Having an unusual site name hasn't damaged their traffic at all.
[Under Construction]

Shuggy
Wyvern

Postby Shuggy » Thu Apr 22, 2010 6:31 pm

Cassie wrote:MsB, I don't know why someone didn't suggest that before, but yes, there's not only several sites called Realms Beyond but one of them even calls the posters RBers :shock: I was driving when I thought that up :(

Ok well that pretty much ends it for this thread... :lol:

As a side note though, and I'm using this to back up what I said before, there are several sites that I visit regularly that are to do with World of Warcraft. One of them is called wow.com. Unless you play or know of Warcraft you may not know that we abbreviate it to WoW. Likewise, another is called wowhead.com. The third one I visit is called Thottbot, and even though I have used it for years I have no freaking idea why it's called that :lol: My point being, it's the content of those sites that I use, not the name of the site. Having an unusual site name hasn't damaged their traffic at all.

But 'WoW' is a pretty specific search criteria - you can guarantee that anything it turns up will be Warcraft related.

If I Googled 'Star Wars' and got 'Remember the Balrog' my response (if I didn't completely discount it) would be WTF?!

This thread needn't be over - people can vote on the names left, or suggest more then we can start a new poll.

Cassie
Wyvern

Postby Cassie » Thu Apr 22, 2010 6:37 pm

Shuggy wrote:If I Googled 'Star Wars' and got 'Remember the Balrog' my response (if I didn't completely discount it) would be WTF?!

Exactly! If I was in that situation I'd click the link just to find out why it came up in my search. We need to have something that stands out and people take notice of when it comes up in their search.

As for the thread, I think we should all do some more discussing and then do another poll afterwards.
[Under Construction]

Shuggy
Wyvern

Postby Shuggy » Thu Apr 22, 2010 6:40 pm

Cassie wrote:
Shuggy wrote:If I Googled 'Star Wars' and got 'Remember the Balrog' my response (if I didn't completely discount it) would be WTF?!

Exactly! If I was in that situation I'd click the link just to find out why it came up in my search. We need to have something that stands out and people take notice of when it comes up in their search.

As for the thread, I think we should all do some more discussing and then do another poll afterwards.

In that case I change my vote to 'alt.worlds' - it covers all the bases and it ain't taken!

Cassie
Wyvern

Postby Cassie » Thu Apr 22, 2010 6:43 pm

I've deleted the poll for now and edited the first post. Let's keep discussing and we can do another poll in a week or so.
[Under Construction]

ElviraStarkeeper
Grumbling Murloc

Postby ElviraStarkeeper » Fri Apr 23, 2010 3:24 am

Speaking of googling site names, Remember the Balrog got me to a Star Wars based forum.
http://forums.jedi.net/phpBB2/viewtopic ... w=previous
food for thought.
You've got to change the world,
and use this chance to be heard.
But dancing is fine too :P

Return to “Questions/Problems”