NAME THE NEW SITE!

Please ask any questions you have about the workings (intended or in error) of the site in here.
Cassie
Wyvern

NAME THE NEW SITE!

Postby Cassie » Wed Apr 14, 2010 7:17 pm

We have to name this place, so please vote for your favorite!

Ed: If you keep reading the thread you'll see that we came across a few problems! I've removed the poll for now, but these were the original options:

The Geek Shall Inherit The Earth
Realms Beyond x (already taken).
Remember the Balrog
Secondary Worlds
Dragon's Moon
Secondary Universes
Alternate Realities
FantastiCosmos
alt.worlds
[Under Construction]

Mistress
N00b

Re: NAME THE NEW SITE!

Postby Mistress » Thu Apr 15, 2010 9:42 am

Okay, no fair. I like more than one! :P

merryb
House Elf

Postby merryb » Thu Apr 15, 2010 2:33 pm

I need to know if the Balrog has wings or not first

Mysterious GB
N00b

Postby Mysterious GB » Thu Apr 15, 2010 3:33 pm

I like Realms Beyond :D

ElviraStarkeeper
Grumbling Murloc

Postby ElviraStarkeeper » Fri Apr 16, 2010 2:57 am

Hmm, I am being all a stick in the mud traditionalist and want one that shortens to RB.. so that left me between Remember the Balrog and Realms Beyond.
Personally i like Remember the Balrog better cause it's more badass sounding and also points to out LotR roots. Realms beyond is probably better for general stuff/ attracting new and non LotR people, but it sounds very generic.
You've got to change the world,
and use this chance to be heard.
But dancing is fine too :P

Shuggy
Wyvern
Location: Navigating Defecation Creek Without Any Oars Whatsoever.

Postby Shuggy » Fri Apr 16, 2010 8:45 am

I like 'Realms Beyond'; unfortunately though, I think the word 'Realms' has too much of a fantasy feel to it - I think we should move away from being too fantasy-centric.
"Your Mother Cooks Socks in Hell!"

MsBrandybuck
Wyvern

Postby MsBrandybuck » Sat Apr 17, 2010 4:05 pm

Well, well! *waves to all of the Ringbearers* good to see everyone again! :)

Cassie and Locks- Bravo to you two for trying to revive the site. I commend you both on the effort.

I think naming the site may be a bit easier if we can refine the 'type' of site we want to present. Shuggy believes we may not want to be too 'fantasy-centric' while others worry about being 'too generic.'

The trap in trying to encompass 'all things geeky' is attempting to do too many things at once and not doing any of them well. There are a bunch of sites out there that offer more to a 'sci-fi' fan (for example) than anything we could offer here.

You have to separate what our site is going to be about from what we want to discuss within the forums- those are two distinct things. For instance, we have, because of our Tolkien roots, been mainly a fantasy site, though this did not limit the topics of discussion in the forums.

If someone wants to discuss sci-fi movies then by all means, yes! However the presentation of the site as a whole did not include sci-fi.

So first, I think, we want to define the site- and it should be more specific than generic. Then we can move on to constructing forum topics- though I think you've already got a very good selection going at the moment.

After defining our site- then it will be easier to pick a name. Just my humble opinions. :)
"Today is a good day to die."
— Worf

locksley
House Elf

Postby locksley » Sun Apr 18, 2010 4:56 pm

Hugs, MSB! :)

I'm still very fond of 'Remember the Balrog'; it's clever, different, and very catchy. But I understand the whole Tolkien-specific issue. ;)

That said, I like 'Realms Beyond' as well. I think the word 'Realms' works fine for both fantasy and sci-fi.

Obviously, I like the idea of staying with the R.B. abbreviation. ;)
"He walked into mid-autumn, hearing nothing but the winds. One night as he sat before his fire, vaguely feeling the winds urge against his shape, he looked down and saw the starred harp in his hands ..." (Mckillip, The Riddle Master trilogy)

shireling
Frodo's Stewed Coney

Postby shireling » Sun Apr 18, 2010 8:53 pm

MS. B!!!!!! *massivebonecrunching hug* So glad to see you!!!!!!!

I have to admit I'm missing the idea of "Remember the Balrog". I've imagined drawing him with a blaster in place of the whip, wearing Princess Leia's bikini and sporting pink fluffy slippers...

'By Elbereth and Luthien the Fair, you shall have neither the Ring nor me! Engage!'
Avatar courtesy of Candy Kane, Webmistress Extraordinaire and Slayer of Trolls

Azriel
Crimebuster

Postby Azriel » Mon Apr 19, 2010 1:24 pm

I am reluctant to eliminate all vestiges of the old site as well.... so I vote for Realms Beyond because it is a fine name, AND it abbreviates to RB :)
"The world of books is the most remarkable creation of man. Nothing else that he builds ever lasts. Monuments fall, nations perish, civilizations grow old and die out, and after an era of darkness new races build others. But in the world of books are volumes that have seen this happen again and again and yet live on, still young, still as fresh as the day they were written, still telling men's hearts of the hearts of men centuries dead."

lotrfotrttrotk
Crimebuster

Postby lotrfotrttrotk » Mon Apr 19, 2010 7:43 pm

the thing is...I really like "remember the balrog" as a phrase or slogan, but as a site name, it doesn't seem to mean anything.
All that is gold does not glitter; Not all those who wander are lost.
The old that is strong does not whither; deep roots are not reached by the frost.
From the ashes a fire shall be woken; a light from the shadows shall spring.
Renewed shall be blade that was broken; the crownless again shall be King."

ElviraStarkeeper
Grumbling Murloc

Postby ElviraStarkeeper » Tue Apr 20, 2010 7:33 am

I think remember the balrog has a very unique ring to it, aswell as evoking a deep past (which we have, which also gives us "cred").
I dunno, i think i'd be more likely to join a forum with a unique name than a general one, even if the unique name didn't cover all the aspects. It just sounds like more fun, somehow.
Also, realms beyond makes us sound forgotten realms related, to be honest.
You've got to change the world,
and use this chance to be heard.
But dancing is fine too :P

shireling
Frodo's Stewed Coney

Postby shireling » Tue Apr 20, 2010 11:20 am

*sniffle/tear* ....balrog....

'By Elbereth and Luthien the Fair, you shall have neither the Ring nor me! Engage!'
Avatar courtesy of Candy Kane, Webmistress Extraordinaire and Slayer of Trolls

Cassie
Wyvern

Postby Cassie » Wed Apr 21, 2010 2:47 pm

Maybe we should just get both URLs and see which gets more traffic :lol:
[Under Construction]

locksley
House Elf

Postby locksley » Wed Apr 21, 2010 8:06 pm

I agree with you, Elvira, about the uniqueness. 100%. ;)
And in really thinking about it the last week or so, I'd like to change my vote to 'Remember the Balrog.' :D
"He walked into mid-autumn, hearing nothing but the winds. One night as he sat before his fire, vaguely feeling the winds urge against his shape, he looked down and saw the starred harp in his hands ..." (Mckillip, The Riddle Master trilogy)

Return to “Questions/Problems”