NAME THE NEW SITE!

Please ask any questions you have about the workings (intended or in error) of the site in here.
lotrfotrttrotk
Crimebuster

Re: NAME THE NEW SITE!

Postby lotrfotrttrotk » Tue May 11, 2010 3:15 pm

:lol:

With out new information about what's been taken and what's available, my vote goes to Remember the Balrog. I just can't get away from the nickname RB, and other people's arguments for it earlier were making me doubt my "realities beyond" vote. ;)
All that is gold does not glitter; Not all those who wander are lost.
The old that is strong does not whither; deep roots are not reached by the frost.
From the ashes a fire shall be woken; a light from the shadows shall spring.
Renewed shall be blade that was broken; the crownless again shall be King."

locksley
House Elf

Postby locksley » Tue May 11, 2010 4:19 pm

'Remember the Balrog' gets my vote too. :D
"He walked into mid-autumn, hearing nothing but the winds. One night as he sat before his fire, vaguely feeling the winds urge against his shape, he looked down and saw the starred harp in his hands ..." (Mckillip, The Riddle Master trilogy)

MsBrandybuck
Wyvern

Postby MsBrandybuck » Tue May 11, 2010 9:11 pm

I say go for Remember the Balrog.

It is certainly unique, and I would daresay it is an intriguing hook for luring in unsuspecting...ah....fresh meat. LOL!
"Today is a good day to die."
— Worf

shireling
Frodo's Stewed Coney

Postby shireling » Tue May 11, 2010 10:29 pm

Yay!!!!! *does balrog dance...with wings*

'By Elbereth and Luthien the Fair, you shall have neither the Ring nor me! Engage!'
Avatar courtesy of Candy Kane, Webmistress Extraordinaire and Slayer of Trolls

lotrfotrttrotk
Crimebuster

Postby lotrfotrttrotk » Tue May 11, 2010 10:41 pm

quite wing-y! :D
All that is gold does not glitter; Not all those who wander are lost.
The old that is strong does not whither; deep roots are not reached by the frost.
From the ashes a fire shall be woken; a light from the shadows shall spring.
Renewed shall be blade that was broken; the crownless again shall be King."

Cassie
Wyvern

Postby Cassie » Wed May 12, 2010 7:39 pm

Ok in that case let's just go with the Balrog and see what happens (hopefully we won't fall a long way and then get reincarnated wearing a table-cloth ;) ).
[Under Construction]

locksley
House Elf

Postby locksley » Wed May 12, 2010 11:14 pm

:lol:
"He walked into mid-autumn, hearing nothing but the winds. One night as he sat before his fire, vaguely feeling the winds urge against his shape, he looked down and saw the starred harp in his hands ..." (Mckillip, The Riddle Master trilogy)

Candy Kane
Psychic detective

Postby Candy Kane » Thu May 13, 2010 11:00 am

Remember the Balrog? Okay!
To err is but human, to forgive divine, and to design is AWESOME! :8

Shuggy
Wyvern
Location: Navigating Defecation Creek Without Any Oars Whatsoever.

Postby Shuggy » Thu May 13, 2010 2:39 pm

MsBrandybuck wrote:I say go for Remember the Balrog.

It is certainly unique, and I would daresay it is an intriguing hook for luring in unsuspecting...ah....fresh meat. LOL!

A hook?! Do people seriously think that calling this site 'Remember the Balrog' is going to lure anyone in? This site is made up of ex-members of a LOTR Fan site - 50 people to be exact - and the Tolkien section of the Movies forum manages to scrape 13 posts out of two threads about the upcoming Hobbit film?! Out of the 50 LOTR fans we have, that's the level of interest we could muster about the upcoming film, and you all want to call this place 'Remember the Balrog' as a selling point?!

I went to the Hobbiton set in NZ, came back here and did everything short of screaming "THEY ARE BUILDING NEW STUFF FOR THE HOBBIT AND I HAVE SEEN IT! PERHAPS ASK ME ABOUT IT QUIETLY..." and the response didn't amount to much more than "Meh." And this from ex-members of a LOTR fan site? And you STILL think a Tolkien-themed name will drag people in?!

FFS, I give up - we haven't done anything new here; all we're doing is rebuilding RingBearer.org so it can die somewhere else. Why have we even bothered? The handful of you that were left over at RB could have just sat there posting the odd "Hello?" in 'The Ivy' every couple of days until the place shut down.

Until more Hobbit news and pictures start being released there is absolutely NO point in calling this site ANYTHING Tolkien-related.

I just can't believe people can't bear to break away and do something new - they'd rather just repeat the same mistakes. :|
"Your Mother Cooks Socks in Hell!"

Candy Kane
Psychic detective

Postby Candy Kane » Thu May 13, 2010 3:16 pm

Maybe they're thinking, "If it ain't broken, don't fix it." That's understandable. People like the familiar.

If you did do something new, though, what would it be?

It's the members that make a site. I've seen a forum with only three regular members plus the mod go to eight thousand posts in a little under three months. I can make suggestions that might add interest, but it depends on what people are interested in. Writing is important to me. I write fanfiction and original stuff. Sometimes I issue challenges and make icons for the winners. If you guys like that kind of thing, we can do it. If it's more of a discussion thing, we could make more threads for discussing stuff. I think the issue is focus.

There are other Tolkien fan sites, and they're getting the bulk of the traffic because they're more established -- and they're getting plenty of traffic. Therefore waning interest is not really an issue in terms of getting more people in.

So... what do you want to focus on?

In the site I mentioned, the members like to hang out together. Now, they're mostly kids, so they have more time and tend to be more inclined to post. While the site is about fandom and writing, though, the focus is on hanging out and having fun. The chat thread gets the most action, followed by the games threads and the various link threads where they post links to funny videos.

The thing about making it too open is that ANYONE will come in. An influx of people with different ideas may well end up making the feel of this place different to what you're used to, and then you won't be so inclined to come here any more. I get the impression that most of you are grown-ups. Sensible grown-ups.

I've been on sites populated by kids who love to be silly and random, which is fun if you like that kind of thing. But do you want this place to be full of it?

I've been to sites where people take themselves and fantasy itself too seriously. I can pull up a quote that made me go "WHUT??!" and wonder if this girlie went and had her ears surgically pointed. There are people who do.

Then there are the dreaded drama-llamas who think drama is healthy and start feuds over real or imagined slights, and believe me, you don't want that in here.

I came here to get away from all of the above. I like this forum and I like the people. If you can get fifty regulars to post here, that'd be fantastic, and I'll be one of the regulars. I'll say it again: it's not about numbers -- it's about the people. And I think you're good people. I don't think this place will die as long as you're all happy to come in here to chat to your friends, and I get the impression that you guys are all friends. Maybe it does need a bit of tweaking. Maybe it would be great to get more people in. That site I mentioned -- the mod used word of mouth. People invited their friends, and it built up from there. Maybe that'd work for you.

BTW -- I'd love to know more about your NZ experience. I'm well jealous!

Shuggy
Wyvern

Postby Shuggy » Thu May 13, 2010 3:46 pm

Candy Kane wrote:Maybe they're thinking, "If it ain't broken, don't fix it." That's understandable. People like the familiar.

That's the problem, and the whole reason for creating this site - it WAS broken. Over on the old site, some forums hadn't had a single post in months. Apart from a few (litererally about 5, tops) regulars doggedly posting in an Actor Appreciation thread, and trying to get a conversation going in 'The Ivy', the place was clinically dead.

If you did do something new, though, what would it be?

What this place is supposed to be - a general geekery forum; fantasy, sci-fi, comics, etc.

It's the members that make a site. I've seen a forum with only three regular members plus the mod go to eight thousand posts in a little under three months.

Agreed. The problem is that this site - or old RB - would struggle to make eight thousand in a year.

I can make suggestions that might add interest, but it depends on what people are interested in. Writing is important to me. I write fanfiction and original stuff. Sometimes I issue challenges and make icons for the winners. If you guys like that kind of thing, we can do it. If it's more of a discussion thing, we could make more threads for discussing stuff. I think the issue is focus.

We have a writing forum apparently; it was considered a hugely important thing to include on this site. A couple of people use it.

There are other Tolkien fan sites, and they're getting the bulk of the traffic because they're more established -- and they're getting plenty of traffic. Therefore waning interest is not really an issue in terms of getting more people in.

Let me run the maths by you again; 50 LOTR Fans + (New Hobbit News x 2) + Thinly disguised first-hand Hobbit info = 15 posts over 2 months. That's not total lack of interest to you?

So... what do you want to focus on?

General geekery, fantasy, sci-fi, comics, etc.

The thing about making it too open is that ANYONE will come in. An influx of people with different ideas may well end up making the feel of this place different to what you're used to

A GOOD thing, IMO. If 'ANYONE' makes a nuisance of themself, then their arse gets booted back out the door.

I get the impression that most of you are grown-ups. Sensible grown-ups.

Where the hell did you get THAT from?! :lol:

I've been on sites populated by kids who love to be silly and random, which is fun if you like that kind of thing. But do you want this place to be full of it?

Nope. Because we end up with bizarre 'game' threads where the 'idea' was to post a site member's name, then that site member posts another member's name.... I kid you not. :| That's how bad it was at one point.

I've been to sites where people take themselves and fantasy itself too seriously. I can pull up a quote that made me go "WHUT??!" and wonder if this girlie went and had her ears surgically pointed. There are people who do.

These people can be tolerated though. Plus, they are harmless when ignored.

Then there are the dreaded drama-llamas who think drama is healthy and start feuds over real or imagined slights, and believe me, you don't want that in here.

You might not, but it would certainly inject a bit of life around here. And we had some absolute corking feuds on the old boards. :twisted:

I came here to get away from all of the above. I like this forum and I like the people. If you can get fifty regulars to post here, that'd be fantastic, and I'll be one of the regulars.

Glad you like it; but trust me - 50 members does not equal 50 people posting regularly...

I'll say it again: it's not about numbers -- it's about the people. And I think you're good people. I don't think this place will die as long as you're all happy to come in here to chat to your friends, and I get the impression that you guys are all friends. Maybe it does need a bit of tweaking. Maybe it would be great to get more people in. That site I mentioned -- the mod used word of mouth. People invited their friends, and it built up from there. Maybe that'd work for you.

Lack of numbers is what killed the last site - it was like a stagnant pond; eventually most of the fish 'died' and the few that were left didn't notice or didn't mind that the water was stagnant.

BTW -- I'd love to know more about your NZ experience. I'm well jealous!

Ask me...

Candy Kane
Psychic detective

Postby Candy Kane » Thu May 13, 2010 3:54 pm

That's the problem, and the whole reason for creating this site - it WAS broken. Over on the old site, some forums hadn't had a single post in months. Apart from a few (litererally about 5, tops) regulars doggedly posting in an Actor Appreciation thread, and trying to get a conversation going in 'The Ivy', the place was clinically dead.

The lack of commitment is the issue. People tend to respond when others take an interest in them. I've been chatting in the other place (the one I mentioned) to this kid about the Legend of Zelda. Doesn't float my boat, but taking an interest in him and his fanfic keeps the conversation going. Then he asked what I've been up to because I demonstrated some consideration.

Let me run the maths by you again; 50 LOTR Fans + (New Hobbit News x 2) + Thinly disguised first-hand Hobbit info = 15 posts over 2 months. That's not total lack of interest to you?

It shows that you guys aren't so mad about Tolkien any more. Fair dues. But on the other sites, it's not an issue.

So hop into the Hobbit thread and give me all the details from A-Z. I'm all e-ears. :D

TomCotton
Vampire Slayer

Postby TomCotton » Thu May 13, 2010 4:34 pm

Well, I agree that Remember the Balrog would not be a very good choice. Neither would that crap about Geeks.

Nothing much said by me about that Hobbit movie stuff because I know by looking at the crew making the two :roll: part movie that it most likely won't be much worth looking at, (although I probably will :roll: :roll: :P ).

I tend to leave a place when the drama queens start showing up. :x
§Doug§ AC000000 Eamus Catuli!!!!
Audere est Facere
"Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn’t go away." Philip K. Dick

Candy Kane
Psychic detective

Postby Candy Kane » Thu May 13, 2010 4:39 pm

Me too. Can't stand 'em. I like the forums I visit to be cozy and welcoming. I like the Ivy Bush idea of a virtual pub. Mine's a G&T. :D

I did suggest "Where the Stars are Strange," but no one seems to like that. It would cover a lot of other fandoms.

Still, I must say I like Remember the Balrog because it's quirky and amusing -- it sounds like a private in-joke, and that's what I find appealing about it.

Shuggy
Wyvern

Postby Shuggy » Thu May 13, 2010 5:57 pm

I did actually like your suggestion - I just forgot to mention it!

Return to “Questions/Problems”