NAME THE NEW SITE!

Please ask any questions you have about the workings (intended or in error) of the site in here.
Vairë
Crimebuster

Re: NAME THE NEW SITE!

Postby Vairë » Sat Apr 24, 2010 3:32 am

What if we just called it "RB" and don't explain it? "Keep 'em guessing!" That way it can mean anything you want it to, and those of us who can't get past good old RB don't have to. :lol:
ImageI am Vairë the Weaver, weaving the tapestries which cover the walls of the halls of Mandos and tell the story of all things within Time.

Azriel
Crimebuster

Postby Azriel » Sat Apr 24, 2010 5:11 am

As an addition to the google/search debate - I also don't search for site names (unless it's a site I've been to before and can't remember the url), I search for information. I found RB initially as I was looking for LOTR news. Often the url is not exactly the site name anyway, so I mostly pay attention to the site name after I am actually on the site. If the site description is good, the url doesn't really affect whether or not I click the link (unless I notice the url is hotmammas .com or something like that :shock: ).

I think the meta tags and description are going to be more important for searching than is the site name.

alt.worlds isn't bad, but isn't the alt. prefix used for usenet?
"The world of books is the most remarkable creation of man. Nothing else that he builds ever lasts. Monuments fall, nations perish, civilizations grow old and die out, and after an era of darkness new races build others. But in the world of books are volumes that have seen this happen again and again and yet live on, still young, still as fresh as the day they were written, still telling men's hearts of the hearts of men centuries dead."

MsBrandybuck
Wyvern

Postby MsBrandybuck » Sat Apr 24, 2010 5:53 pm

Going by what Azriel (and a few others) has said about searching for information/news rather than site names, then just maybe it would be best to pick something as unique as "Remember the Balrog." :D (Yeah, I know- after I summarily shot it down.)

I took the list of suggested names from the first post and this is what I found:

The Geek Shall Inherit The Earth - there are SO many sites with 'Geek' in it, since it is now chic to be geek, it would be hard to stand out in the sea of geekery. Hey! How does SeaofGeekery.Org sound?? I didn't see that URL anywhere... :D

Realms Beyond x (already taken).

Remember the Balrog

Secondary Worlds x (exists: www.secondaryworlds.com)

Dragon's Moon (there is a: www.dragon-moon.com/ )

Secondary Universes

Alternate Realities x (exists: www.alternaterealities.com)

FantastiCosmos

alt.worlds (there is an: www.alt-world.com/)
"Today is a good day to die."
— Worf

Withywindle
Evil Lair Tourguide

Postby Withywindle » Sun May 02, 2010 5:12 pm

You folks do get about don't you? ;-)

Reality Bridge (RB theme there...)
Nexus Portal
Imaginarium
Dimension Gate
ZoneScape
Horizons Beyond
Dear Mister Fantasy play us a tune / Something to make us all happy / Do anything to take us out of this gloom / Sing a song, play guitar / Make it snappy ...

TomCotton
Vampire Slayer

Postby TomCotton » Sun May 02, 2010 9:15 pm

Reality Bridge looks good. Makes one wonder what moniker this place will finally be known by.
§Doug§ AC000000 Eamus Catuli!!!!
Audere est Facere
"Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn’t go away." Philip K. Dick

MsBrandybuck
Wyvern

Postby MsBrandybuck » Mon May 03, 2010 7:15 pm

Good ones, Withy!

But are we Reality Bridge or Reality Bane? ;)
"Today is a good day to die."
— Worf

Azriel
Crimebuster

Postby Azriel » Thu May 06, 2010 9:25 am

I really like Imaginarium but have a feeling it is taken.
"The world of books is the most remarkable creation of man. Nothing else that he builds ever lasts. Monuments fall, nations perish, civilizations grow old and die out, and after an era of darkness new races build others. But in the world of books are volumes that have seen this happen again and again and yet live on, still young, still as fresh as the day they were written, still telling men's hearts of the hearts of men centuries dead."

resoundingjoy
Disturber of Cthulhu's Slumber

Postby resoundingjoy » Fri May 07, 2010 1:58 am

I seem to remember Imaginarium being a Discovery-Store type children's retail outlet in the '90s. Anyone else remember this?

shireling
Frodo's Stewed Coney

Postby shireling » Fri May 07, 2010 4:25 am

There is an Imaginarium store in the mall near me.

"He who learns must suffer. And even in our sleep pain that cannot forget falls drop by drop upon the heart, and in our own despair, against our will, comes wisdom to us by the awful grace of God." - Aeschylus

Avatar courtesy of Candy Kane, Webmistress Extraordinaire and Slayer of Trolls

Candy Kane
Psychic detective

Postby Candy Kane » Sun May 09, 2010 8:30 pm

It's a manga website, so yes, it is taken.

Reality Bridge is a great name, but is anyone interested in keeping a Tolkien connection? The Brandywine Bridge is available.

Failing that, the other suggestions are perfectly good. I particularly like

The Geek Shall Inherit The Earth

Remember the Balrog

Alternate Realities is taken (http://forum.eve-ar.de/).

Oh! Got one -- and this can apply to anything: Where The Stars Are Strange

Yes, it's a Tolkien quote, but it can be applied to anything. What do you think? It's been used as a story title a few times, but that's about it. It's not a website or a forum.
To err is but human, to forgive divine, and to design is AWESOME! :8

Cassie
Wyvern

Postby Cassie » Mon May 10, 2010 3:20 pm

Another thing - whatever name we choose now, it doesn't have to be with us for life. If we want to change it in the future we can, so this isn't a one-shot thing. At this point I would rather we (mostly) just agreed on a name, any name and got this place going. New poll time maybe?
[Under Construction]

locksley
House Elf

Postby locksley » Mon May 10, 2010 7:55 pm

Fine by me ... let's get it named. :D
"He walked into mid-autumn, hearing nothing but the winds. One night as he sat before his fire, vaguely feeling the winds urge against his shape, he looked down and saw the starred harp in his hands ..." (Mckillip, The Riddle Master trilogy)

v0id
Mome Rath

Postby v0id » Mon May 10, 2010 10:31 pm

Cassie wrote:Another thing - whatever name we choose now, it doesn't have to be with us for life. If we want to change it in the future we can, so this isn't a one-shot thing. At this point I would rather we (mostly) just agreed on a name, any name and got this place going. New poll time maybe?

*mumbles something about women not being able to make up their minds :P

shireling
Frodo's Stewed Coney

Postby shireling » Mon May 10, 2010 11:30 pm

It's already Remember the Balrog in my favorites *crosses fingers*

"He who learns must suffer. And even in our sleep pain that cannot forget falls drop by drop upon the heart, and in our own despair, against our will, comes wisdom to us by the awful grace of God." - Aeschylus

Avatar courtesy of Candy Kane, Webmistress Extraordinaire and Slayer of Trolls

resoundingjoy
Disturber of Cthulhu's Slumber

Postby resoundingjoy » Tue May 11, 2010 2:49 pm

v0id wrote:
Cassie wrote:Another thing - whatever name we choose now, it doesn't have to be with us for life. If we want to change it in the future we can, so this isn't a one-shot thing. At this point I would rather we (mostly) just agreed on a name, any name and got this place going. New poll time maybe?

*mumbles something about women not being able to make up their minds :P

Imagine how confusing it would be if we changed names every few months! :lol:
new tagline: The website with the identity crisis!

Return to “Questions/Problems”