Old Board?

Please ask any questions you have about the workings (intended or in error) of the site in here.
User avatar
lotrfotrttrotk
Crimebuster
Posts: 197
Joined: Mon Mar 29, 2010 4:44 pm
Location: New York

Old Board?

Postby lotrfotrttrotk » Wed Apr 21, 2010 10:36 pm

Not sure where to put this really...but whatever.

So I've noticed that at the old RB, there's still minimal posting going on...as well as a couple new members, a few of whom are spambots that post random advertisements for golf clubs.

Basically I'm just wondering what we're planning to do with it in the near future..archive the whole thing and direct new people to this site? Just leave it and let it sort of fade away?

And should we be telling newbies that register there that we've sort of moved over to here and there is probably not going to be anyone responding to them?

that sort of thing.
Anwers, suggestions, and other related questions:...begin.
All that is gold does not glitter; Not all those who wander are lost.
The old that is strong does not whither; deep roots are not reached by the frost.
From the ashes a fire shall be woken; a light from the shadows shall spring.
Renewed shall be blade that was broken; the crownless again shall be King."

User avatar
Cassie
Wyvern
Posts: 372
Joined: Sun Mar 21, 2010 2:46 pm
Location: Middle of the middle of Nowhere

Re: Old Board?

Postby Cassie » Thu Apr 22, 2010 2:49 pm

We will be archiving it but not until we have a new address for this place. Once we do it'll be read-only :)
[Under Construction]

User avatar
Halasian
Crimebuster
Posts: 219
Joined: Wed May 05, 2010 1:20 pm

Re: Old Board?

Postby Halasian » Thu Aug 26, 2010 2:05 am

Is this still the case?

I was just curious as I went there and every forum was filled with pages of spam. Is that what you want to archive? I spammed back today, putting a link to this board. Some admin should go over there and put this new URL link up in a prominent place

Still, I have to wonder if it would be worth keeping the old url and re-vamping the Tolkien board theme. Curious about the costs f it all....
Dunedain Ranger in the Shadows

User avatar
shireling
Frodo's Stewed Coney
Posts: 6748
Joined: Sun Mar 21, 2010 5:37 pm
Location: East of Eden

Re: Old Board?

Postby shireling » Thu Aug 26, 2010 2:13 am

It was such a beautiful board and it's filled been filled to the brim with total crap. Turned the whole Shire into a dump :(.
Image

"He who learns must suffer. And even in our sleep pain that cannot forget falls drop by drop upon the heart, and in our own despair, against our will, comes wisdom to us by the awful grace of God." - Aeschylus


Avatar courtesy of Candy Kane, Webmistress Extraordinaire and Slayer of Trolls

User avatar
Shuggy
Wyvern
Posts: 361
Joined: Mon Mar 22, 2010 10:49 am
Location: Navigating Defecation Creek Without Any Oars Whatsoever.

Re: Old Board?

Postby Shuggy » Thu Aug 26, 2010 12:46 pm

shireling wrote:It was such a beautiful board and it's filled been filled to the brim with total crap. Turned the whole Shire into a dump :(.


Which is why I find it amazing that people seem so eager for the same thing to happen here!

"Hey; RB is dying on it's arse because nobody wants to talk about LOTR or anything other than word games and twitter threads - why don't we make a NEW site with a LOTR influenced name that (kind of) abbreviates to 'RB', and fill it with word games and twitter threads, and actively avoid posting anything else?! That'll be GREAT!"

:roll:
"Your Mother Cooks Socks in Hell!"

Image

User avatar
Halasian
Crimebuster
Posts: 219
Joined: Wed May 05, 2010 1:20 pm

Re: Old Board?

Postby Halasian » Thu Aug 26, 2010 1:19 pm

Yeah, I hear that. And with every change in boards there are some who don't bother to re-register. I have to say I was loathe to register yet again here, but I am trying to give it a chance...

But I don't see what the appeal is here. The board looks like so many other boards, where the old had its own character. No... Should have stayed true to the Tolkien theme, and if the concern was traffic, then start another completely different board catering to whatever the shink object is today, not 2001. Or just call it a day.

I don't thik this place will be filled with spam crap like the old RB because there is a mod to remove it... I just think it sucks if anyone stops by there and sees the crap.
Dunedain Ranger in the Shadows

User avatar
Shuggy
Wyvern
Posts: 361
Joined: Mon Mar 22, 2010 10:49 am
Location: Navigating Defecation Creek Without Any Oars Whatsoever.

Re: Old Board?

Postby Shuggy » Thu Aug 26, 2010 1:59 pm

Halasian wrote:Yeah, I hear that. And with every change in boards there are some who don't bother to re-register. I have to say I was loathe to register yet again here, but I am trying to give it a chance...


That you certainly are, Hal (if I may); you're all over this board like a bad rash, and it's good to see. For that, I thank you. :D

Halasian wrote:But I don't see what the appeal is here. The board looks like so many other boards, where the old had its own character.


If we'd held true to the original ideas and direction for the site, then there would be an appeal. As it stands, we're recreating Ringbearer for people who aren't really interested in Ringbearer.

Halasian wrote:No... Should have stayed true to the Tolkien theme, and if the concern was traffic, then start another completely different board catering to whatever the shink object is today, not 2001. Or just call it a day.


The Tolkien theme isn't generating any interest at all. You stayed on the longest over at RB (next to Passo) so you should really know - it wasn't the building of this site that killed RB, but apathy, lack of interest in LOTR (which led to members drifting off) and the prevelance of stupid word game threads.

I keep coming back to this, but I cannot convey how staggering this is to me:

There are 65 members on this site.
ALL our members came from an incarnation of RB.
RB was a purely LOTR-driven fan site.
I posted that I had visited 'Hobbiton' and brought pictures back of new sets being built for the new 'Hobbit' film.
5 people replied. From 65 LOTR fans.

And STILL people think we need to stay true to the Tolkien theme?

Halasian wrote:I don't thik this place will be filled with spam crap like the old RB because there is a mod to remove it... I just think it sucks if anyone stops by there and sees the crap.


You may want to click on the names in our list of Admins and see just how often they frequent this place, then think about how quickly a spambot could fill this place up...
"Your Mother Cooks Socks in Hell!"

Image

User avatar
Halasian
Crimebuster
Posts: 219
Joined: Wed May 05, 2010 1:20 pm

Re: Old Board?

Postby Halasian » Fri Aug 27, 2010 8:33 am

Shuggy wrote:That you certainly are, Hal (if I may); you're all over this board like a bad rash, and it's good to see. For that, I thank you.

Yeah, i try to b an equal opportunity irritant. ;)

Shuggy wrote:f we'd held true to the original ideas and direction for the site, then there would be an appeal. As it stands, we're recreating Ringbearer for people who aren't really interested in Ringbearer.

Maybe so... which would be starting a whole new site with focus on something else with maybe a forum for LotR... which there is and maybe 5 topics in. It sort of becomes the worst of both worlds when you go away from what you were good at back in the day because you aren't popular anymore, and the changes makes it hard for some casuals to stay on without the work of registration, and you don't create something new either which is detrimental to bringing others in.

Shuggy wrote:The Tolkien theme isn't generating any interest at all. You stayed on the longest over at RB (next to Passo) so you should really know - it wasn't the building of this site that killed RB, but apathy, lack of interest in LOTR (which led to members drifting off) and the prevelance of stupid word game threads.

Yea, that is what it was boiling down to apparently. Password games, chat threads, and an occasional something else.

I will take another Tolkien board as an example here... Barrow Downs. I joined that site sometime before the time I joined Ringbearer in 2001. I think they were on EZ Board when I first posted there. The board itself was, and is a bit too rigid when it comes to RP and discussion of other topics outside Tolkien, and there are whole sections for trivia and lightness and such. However, they have remained just as they have appeared in 1999, even after going through a few board migrations. I don't remember having to re-register after the first move from EZ Board, which made it easy to stay connected. The place was, and is not, to me, the best layout for a Tolkien board, but there still seems to be a reasonably steady discussion of Tolkien in the book and movie sections there, and many of the older folk are still active. On Ringbearer, I think all the board changes and re-registration along the way, with a forum re-arrangement/dilution on one of the last incarnations, helped lead to this state.
Dunedain Ranger in the Shadows

User avatar
Halasian
Crimebuster
Posts: 219
Joined: Wed May 05, 2010 1:20 pm

Re: Old Board?

Postby Halasian » Mon Aug 30, 2010 10:45 pm

Which brings me back to the question of whether the old Ringbearer can be resurrected, or should I resign myself to the fact it is dead, knowing it was a good run, and go talk Tolkien on Barrow Downs, LOTR Plaza, & Henneth Annun.
Dunedain Ranger in the Shadows

User avatar
shireling
Frodo's Stewed Coney
Posts: 6748
Joined: Sun Mar 21, 2010 5:37 pm
Location: East of Eden

Re: Old Board?

Postby shireling » Mon Aug 30, 2010 11:43 pm

I'd like to be a mod for the old RB, just for a day to de-spam and archived it so that it can't be gummed up again. There's so much info in there, lots of LOTR research that was done by Locks that shouldn't be lost, the appreciation threads and Inklings. Shelob's Lair, I think we can agree, could go without a tear..
Image

"He who learns must suffer. And even in our sleep pain that cannot forget falls drop by drop upon the heart, and in our own despair, against our will, comes wisdom to us by the awful grace of God." - Aeschylus


Avatar courtesy of Candy Kane, Webmistress Extraordinaire and Slayer of Trolls

User avatar
Shuggy
Wyvern
Posts: 361
Joined: Mon Mar 22, 2010 10:49 am
Location: Navigating Defecation Creek Without Any Oars Whatsoever.

Re: Old Board?

Postby Shuggy » Tue Aug 31, 2010 9:05 am

shireling wrote:I'd like to be a mod for the old RB, just for a day to de-spam and archived it so that it can't be gummed up again. There's so much info in there, lots of LOTR research that was done by Locks that shouldn't be lost, the appreciation threads and Inklings. Shelob's Lair, I think we can agree, could go without a tear..


I would like to think that kind of clean-up operation would be a MUST prior to any archiving, however I can't imagine it being a fun job. That said, if someone like you who would be keen and happy to do it volunteers, that's brilliant.

Shelob's Lair :evil:

It got so stupid in there that 'Admirer' (or whatever she was called) seriously tried to get a 'game' going which consisted of just posting the name of a forum member. That's it; you simply went into the thread and posted the name of a forum member that no-one else had posted. :shock:

Anyone remember that?! I think it actually got around 20-odd replies! :o
"Your Mother Cooks Socks in Hell!"

Image

User avatar
Halasian
Crimebuster
Posts: 219
Joined: Wed May 05, 2010 1:20 pm

Re: Old Board?

Postby Halasian » Tue Aug 31, 2010 11:39 pm

Thankfully, no I don't remember that.

Yeah, it wouldn't take long to scrub out the spam there, then make the forums 'read-only' until it either dies from non renewal of domain name or is properly archived.

Tolkien discussion isn't dead.. it's just dead here it seems. Oh well.
Dunedain Ranger in the Shadows

User avatar
Cassie
Wyvern
Posts: 372
Joined: Sun Mar 21, 2010 2:46 pm
Location: Middle of the middle of Nowhere

Re: Old Board?

Postby Cassie » Mon Sep 06, 2010 3:29 pm

I cleared out the 700+ posts by that one spirited spammer.

Admin-activation of accounts is on at the moment, so you can't post unless you're already a member. I need to talk with O about what he wants to do with the board.
[Under Construction]

User avatar
Shuggy
Wyvern
Posts: 361
Joined: Mon Mar 22, 2010 10:49 am
Location: Navigating Defecation Creek Without Any Oars Whatsoever.

Re: Old Board?

Postby Shuggy » Mon Sep 06, 2010 8:23 pm

Cassie wrote:I cleared out the 700+ posts by that one spirited spammer.

Admin-activation of accounts is on at the moment, so you can't post unless you're already a member. I need to talk with O about what he wants to do with the board.


Oh, cheers for that - where do I buy my Viagra NOW?! :x


:lol:
"Your Mother Cooks Socks in Hell!"

Image

User avatar
Cassie
Wyvern
Posts: 372
Joined: Sun Mar 21, 2010 2:46 pm
Location: Middle of the middle of Nowhere

Re: Old Board?

Postby Cassie » Mon Sep 06, 2010 9:47 pm

YOU need Viagra?! :o


:P
[Under Construction]


Return to “Questions/Problems”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest