Site Name

Please ask any questions you have about the workings (intended or in error) of the site in here.

What Should We Call This Place?

I Like 'G-Site'
31%
Something Else (I have made a suggestion below)
31%
Something Else (I have not made a suggestion, but agreed with someone else)
38%

Total votes: 13

Shuggy
Wyvern
Location: Navigating Defecation Creek Without Any Oars Whatsoever.

Re: Site Name

Postby Shuggy » Wed Mar 24, 2010 6:12 pm

Cassie wrote:I think a few reasons why "Ringbearer" worked were that it was easy to remember, described obviously what the site was about, and could be abbreviated easily. We need something to follow those guidelines :D

Hmmmm... Difficult criteria... Unless - Hey! How about 'The Geek Shall Inherit The Earth'?! And you'll never guess what it abbreviates to...! :mrgreen:

Actually, I'm at a loss ATM...
"Your Mother Cooks Socks in Hell!"

margarath
House Elf

Postby margarath » Wed Mar 24, 2010 8:00 pm

I was trying to think of something which abbreviates to RB when I came up with Dragon's Moon. The only thing I could think of was R_____ Blade, but my sci-fi knowledge isn't good enough to think of anything suitable to put in the R______ bit...

shireling
Frodo's Stewed Coney

Postby shireling » Thu Mar 25, 2010 5:11 pm

I can't think of anything in particular, but I've looked up a bunch of words that might jar something loose, or inspire something completely different. I'm putting them in two columns, for the first and last names. Enjoy!

Geek
Fantasy/Fantastic
Alien
Vision/Visionary
Dream
Mythic
Legend/Legendary
Curious
Fabulous
Whimsy
Looking-Glass

World
Earth
Planet
Sphere
Globe
Universe
Cosmos
Society
Zone
Limits
Prime
Faire/Fair/Fare

'By Elbereth and Luthien the Fair, you shall have neither the Ring nor me! Engage!'
Avatar courtesy of Candy Kane, Webmistress Extraordinaire and Slayer of Trolls

Shuggy
Wyvern

Postby Shuggy » Thu Mar 25, 2010 5:21 pm

I like 'Whimsy Limits'!

shireling
Frodo's Stewed Coney

Postby shireling » Thu Mar 25, 2010 6:19 pm

:lol: I didn't see that coming.

'By Elbereth and Luthien the Fair, you shall have neither the Ring nor me! Engage!'

Cassie
Wyvern

Postby Cassie » Thu Mar 25, 2010 10:28 pm

Personally, I'm a fan of the word "zone", no idea why :P

Great idea though Shireling :D
[Under Construction]

PatriotBlade
Wyvern

Postby PatriotBlade » Fri Mar 26, 2010 10:15 pm

How about Reality Bites?
Staring at the blank page before you, open up the dirty window, let the sun illuminate the words that you could not find. Today is where your book begins, the rest is still UNWRITTEN...

shireling
Frodo's Stewed Coney

Postby shireling » Sat Mar 27, 2010 1:06 am

OOOO! Bytes, maybe? Geek Bytes?

Perian
N00b

Postby Perian » Sat Mar 27, 2010 5:02 am

Cassie wrote:I think a few reasons why "Ringbearer" worked were that it was easy to remember, described obviously what the site was about, and could be abbreviated easily. We need something to follow those guidelines :D

Well, if you are looking for something that describes the site, and will also help draw in new people, I think that Secondary Universes is a real possibility. That's going to convey to people who are into speculative fiction that this is a site where fantasy and science fiction topics are likely to be found. If a third word, like something indicating location, (site, board, etc. etc.) is added, then you might have something that would also be easy to abbreviate.

You could also try a name like Alternate Realities, or Alternate Realities Exchange, and I must admit I like the subtle bit of Tolkien geekery in that one, all the kings of Arnor from Argeleb I, and later the Chieftains of the Dunedain, having taken names with the prefix "Ar"....and yes, I'm one of those people who is addicted to reading the appendices in LotR... :D

I also really like the phrase "The Geek Shall Inherit the Earth," I'm just not sure it's the best choice for a site name. But would there be a way to use the phrase even if it's not the site name, for example to put it in a banner or other artwork for the main page? One other site that I post on has something like that; both a site name and a phrase that people liked and found meaningful when the site was formed.

Anyway, those are just some thoughts I had. I haven't really posted much on Ringbearer, though I joined some while ago, and have stopped by from time to time to read things on the board.

I did think of an "RB" name after reading the posts about that, so I'll share it just for fun...

How about.....Remarkably Brilliant!

:D

By the way, thank you to the mods for sending the e-mail...mid-March is a really busy time for me, and I actually hadn't noticed the thread on RB's future.

Peri

Niamh Sage
House Elf

Postby Niamh Sage » Sat Mar 27, 2010 6:58 am

Worrabout 'FantastiCosmos'? (Two of the words out of Shuggy's list smooshed together.)

Google research reveals that there's a Greek fantasy shop called Fantastikosmos, but that's about all.

Shuggy
Wyvern

Postby Shuggy » Sat Mar 27, 2010 12:25 pm

I'm really suprised nobody liked 'alt.worlds'...

Niamh Sage
House Elf

Postby Niamh Sage » Sat Mar 27, 2010 12:30 pm

Shuggy wrote:I'm really suprised nobody liked 'alt.worlds'...

Actually, I did like it but I got so caught up in playing with your word list, I forgot to mention it. Here's a vote for alt.worlds: +1
I like that it encompasses SF and F, the whole idea of writing being about creating worlds, and internet culture (the geeky end of the spectrum).

shireling
Frodo's Stewed Coney

Postby shireling » Tue Mar 30, 2010 11:53 pm

I was thinking about what Cassie said, about how much the word ringbearer summed us up and tried to think of some way to connect what we were with where we're going, like maybe "Dwarf Star"? It's an actual celestial entity, but I haven't found anybody else using it for a purpose like ours - so far. Just an idea.

lotrfotrttrotk
Crimebuster

Postby lotrfotrttrotk » Wed Mar 31, 2010 12:18 am

not a big fan of gsite..abbreviated or not. I agree that "the geek shall inherit the earth" sounds like a better slogan than site name.

If I had a creative cell in my body I'd suggest something...but I don't.
I like the idea of coming up with something that can be abbreviated to RB (though that is obviously quite limiting...and i'll probably still refer to it in my head as RB anyways no matter what we call it)but I agree with Cassie's idea that it should be somewhat descriptive and easily abbreviat-able (into something that not even Shuggy can make into an inuendo :P ...if that's even possible. :lol: )

Also, are we wanting the focus to be equally on all the different aspects of geekery? or Are we planning on being more Fantasy-heavy, or more Sci-fi heavy, or neither? That affects what you want to put into the name as well.
All that is gold does not glitter; Not all those who wander are lost.
The old that is strong does not whither; deep roots are not reached by the frost.
From the ashes a fire shall be woken; a light from the shadows shall spring.
Renewed shall be blade that was broken; the crownless again shall be King."

margarath
House Elf

Postby margarath » Wed Mar 31, 2010 8:51 am

I think that's kinda the problem lotr - we're not entirely sure what the emphasis of the board will be - we'll have to wait and see!

Return to “Questions/Problems”