Discussion so far....

Please ask any questions you have about the workings (intended or in error) of the site in here.
Cassie
Wyvern

Discussion so far....

Postby Cassie » Sun Mar 21, 2010 4:52 pm

From the discussion we've had so far we've had these ideas/suggestions:

- Making the front page less news-driven, and instead have user-written pieces there, and blog-type format?
- Taking the forum away from specifically Tolkien and making it more fantasy/sci-fi/hobbyish.
- Adding a writing section.
- Having certain people 'mod' their forum of interest.
- Instead of having specific chat threads, allow chat to develop naturally in other topics.
- Still keep one or two Tolkien forums.
- Increasing exposure by linking to other sites and vice versa.
- Still keep large threads to an acceptable length to reduce intimidation.

I think that covers everything....

If anyone has any general ideas please post them in here. We can start threads on specific areas as we work on them. For instance, I think we need to get the forum layout sorted first, so I'll start a thread on that now.
[Under Construction]

shireling
Frodo's Stewed Coney

Re: Discussion so far....

Postby shireling » Sun Mar 21, 2010 5:59 pm

Thanks for doing this, Maury and Cassie, for laying out the discussion.

I love the idea of broadening our topics as I'm continually amazed at the diversity of interests among RBers. The "What About You?" thread has been good for that in particular. There's a tremendous love of books, films, anime, poetry, art, food and drink of all kinds beyond Tolkien and it's been a source of continuing education for me be here.

A writing section is very appealing to me, and having MODS who are interested in specific topics I think is a very good idea.

I have no opinion on chat, but I would like to see us keep one Tolkien forum. It's the roots after all. And I agree we probably should link to other sites as well, and keep our large threads lengths, whatever they be, down.

"He who learns must suffer. And even in our sleep pain that cannot forget falls drop by drop upon the heart, and in our own despair, against our will, comes wisdom to us by the awful grace of God." - Aeschylus

Avatar courtesy of Candy Kane, Webmistress Extraordinaire and Slayer of Trolls

Cassie
Wyvern

Postby Cassie » Sun Mar 21, 2010 6:02 pm

FOOD!!! I never even thought about that :D A recipe exchange might be interesting too....Thanks for the input Shireling!
[Under Construction]

shireling
Frodo's Stewed Coney

Postby shireling » Sun Mar 21, 2010 6:03 pm

You're welcome :D

"He who learns must suffer. And even in our sleep pain that cannot forget falls drop by drop upon the heart, and in our own despair, against our will, comes wisdom to us by the awful grace of God." - Aeschylus

Avatar courtesy of Candy Kane, Webmistress Extraordinaire and Slayer of Trolls

Cassie
Wyvern

Postby Cassie » Sun Mar 21, 2010 6:31 pm

I would like to see a journaling section in part of the writing forums as well, if people still want to do that?
[Under Construction]

Niamh Sage
House Elf

Postby Niamh Sage » Sun Mar 21, 2010 8:34 pm

Journalling's good! I also like the idea of recipes :D Where would that fit in? Would it have its own forum, with subforums for genre and fandom? :P Hmm.

Food
- Fantasy
--Tolkien
---Recipe: Hobbity breakfast (ash in tomatoes optional)

--Pratchett
----Recipe: CMOT Dibbler's '100%' 'Pork' 'Sausages'

JRR Tolkienfan
N00b

Postby JRR Tolkienfan » Sun Mar 21, 2010 9:48 pm

For starters, you all have no clue who I am. So I'm guessing this will mean nothing to you guys. I'm been a long time member and even though I haven't posted in a while, I've always checked in and read posts. It saddens me that it has to come to this. But I love seeing you all pulling together and doing what it takes to keep the spirit of these boards alive. You all are my heros. I entered these boards when I just started the 6th grade. And now, being a junior in high school, you can see how much these boards have influenced me. I read all the books that 6th grade year and saw the movies, and while on that high I found the place to take out my excitement, which in turn turned out to be RB.

I am mainly a musician, and that's what I want to do for a career. I love writing music especially. These boards, what little posts I made, "trained" me a litle more in this area. With forum sections such as Inklings Ghost I stumbled upon some of the greatest freelance writing there is. It made me try to create stories. I wanted to be like those people. The great writers. After reading all the stories and forums this site had to offer, I got an education in different writing styles and ideas, and I especially applied this to music. I'm in the middle of writing a book and recording my 2nd album right now, and in most ways, I have no one to thank but RB.

And to top it off: this website has affected my personal life as well. Entering middle school traumatized me. The first half of my life consisted of growing up in southeastern KS, my birthplace. But due to my dad's change of careers we had to move to Kentucky. Since then I've lived in Kentucky, St. Louis, MO, and now, I'm in the biggest craphole on earth: western Kansas. There was one constant thing I turned to, though, wherever I was at, and that was this forum. I took some things out through the posts and readings on the boards, and it helped me cope with some things. Once again, thanks.

I'm glad the site isn't officially going under. I'm more of a traditionalist than anything, honestly. I mean I would rather see the site stay as is or stay an exclusive tolkien-related site like a lot of us wish. But that's just my emotional attachment to the site talkin. After all, I don't think that's the wisest plan as you all agreed. If the site does in turn evolove into a Sci-fi related topic site, as much as it would take getting used to for the change, you all can count on one more loyal member following the exodus.

My biggest regret, however, is the fact that I haven't posted for a long time. I look at you all right now: not just members of a forum, but friends. I mean, you all are coming together to get this thing going. You all can talk and "hang out" so-to-say as friends. You let each other in on your lives. One of you seems to be gettin married, and you have nothin but support from these great people (congrats, btw!). I wish I had been here more to earn a spot in the family. And, that's my fault. I only wish I had gotten to know you all.

Whatever happens, I need you all to understand that even though you have no clue who I am, you have made such a difference in my life. You all helped me through life's ups and downs and brought me joy when I needed it most. I love you all, very, very much, and every one of means so much to me. If you need ANY help or need some extra "hands" for certain things or maybe need an extra MOD, I'd love to help in anyway I could. I'll continue to thing of more ideas in the meantime. Thank you, everyone....For everything.
Peace of Christ----------------------JRR Tolkienfan.

Cassie
Wyvern

Postby Cassie » Sun Mar 21, 2010 10:26 pm

Thank you for sharing all that JRR Tolkienfan. I'm sure I speak for a lot of us when I say that I wish it didn't have to come to this, but it is a sign of the times that we must evolve, and RB did have a good run over the years. And I am glad that the site was there for you when you needed it. A lot of people used to scoff at people having "online friends" but there were many days when I was in a bad mood and RB cheered me up. Having people to talk to outside of your immediate family and friends is sometimes very helpful. Remember though, whatever you may have missed in the past you can make up for now! So please do hang around and give us your thoughts and ideas. This is a new start for everyone, so anything goes as far as suggestions go :)
[Under Construction]

Shuggy
Wyvern
Location: Navigating Defecation Creek Without Any Oars Whatsoever.

Postby Shuggy » Mon Mar 22, 2010 10:57 am

During my absence I have modded other PHpBB Forums - I'm not jumping up and down and shouting "Pick Me! Pick Me!", but given a certain level of access, I am more than happy to 'manage'/populate any General Geek Movie/Computer Game Forums.

Like I said - I don't need to be a Mod, but I am willing to put some work in!
"Your Mother Cooks Socks in Hell!"

margarath
House Elf

Postby margarath » Mon Mar 22, 2010 12:55 pm

It is sad it's changing, but it's good to keep it alive - and personally one of the reasons I drifted was due to a waning interest in Tolkein, and gettting geeky with other things instead (well, that and university and women...)

In the mood of JRR's post, I would also like to say a thankyou to the old RB, it made a bit difference to me when I was younger, and still remember hugs with Cass and her purple boots at moots. Internet friends are just as real as normal friends (though often less normal!) and made a big difference to my teenage years.

Grathy

Cassie
Wyvern

Postby Cassie » Mon Mar 22, 2010 2:57 pm

I seem to remember lying on the back of sofas and sharing alcoholic drinks at moots ;)

Thanks Shug, will put you on the list :D
[Under Construction]

margarath
House Elf

Postby margarath » Mon Mar 22, 2010 6:23 pm

Not to mention appearing on Sky News...

And living in Oxford doesn't make the place seem any more normal, only that now I know the unicyclist...

Cassie
Wyvern

Postby Cassie » Mon Mar 22, 2010 8:06 pm

Oh man I forgot about the news! Oxford weirdness factor alert :shock: What was the name we came up with for the pixie thing...the bondage pixie? Too long ago :(
[Under Construction]

margarath
House Elf

Postby margarath » Mon Mar 22, 2010 8:26 pm

Yup, bondage pixie it was indeed. The news took us way beyond the normal OWF scale. Though I had to recalibrate the scale somewhat when I joined the univeristy, there's some fun rituals (I have a gown and everything!) And yeah, it's is far too long ago...

Excellent, I've been back less than 12 hours and already gone hugely OT.

Niamh Sage
House Elf

Postby Niamh Sage » Mon Mar 22, 2010 8:34 pm

Following along from Grathy and JRRTfan, I'd just like to say that hanging out at RB got me through one of the darkest times of my life, *and* got me a verra naice husband too ('two for one' offer, style of fing :P ). Not to mention all the great friends I made here.

So I'm very happy to help out with this new incarnation. In fact ...

*ahem*

"You have my mouse!"

:D

Return to “Questions/Problems”