Site Graphics/Theme

Please ask any questions you have about the workings (intended or in error) of the site in here.
Candy Kane
Psychic detective

Re: Site Graphics/Theme

Postby Candy Kane » Fri May 14, 2010 1:20 pm

Well, you've clearly got behind the second font. I'll apply your suggestion, Tom. What did you think of "Where the Stars are Strange"?

Shuggy likes that one.

Sorry, I thought you were all mad keen on Remember the Balrog. Mind you, Realms Beyond is a pretty good name, too.
To err is but human, to forgive divine, and to design is AWESOME! :8

lotrfotrttrotk
Crimebuster

Postby lotrfotrttrotk » Fri May 14, 2010 1:54 pm

lots of people liked "realms beyond", Kandy, but it's in use elsewhere unfortunately. :/
All that is gold does not glitter; Not all those who wander are lost.
The old that is strong does not whither; deep roots are not reached by the frost.
From the ashes a fire shall be woken; a light from the shadows shall spring.
Renewed shall be blade that was broken; the crownless again shall be King."

Candy Kane
Psychic detective

Postby Candy Kane » Fri May 14, 2010 1:56 pm

Fair dues. Does anyone else like "Where the Stars are Strange"?

I'm not great at thinking up titles, to be honest.

TomCotton
Vampire Slayer

Postby TomCotton » Fri May 14, 2010 2:45 pm

I like "Secondary Universes" or if we must stick to an RB theme then "Reality Bridge". :)

We also have to consider whether any of the graphics elements included will violate any copyrights. Some corporations don't mind if you use some of their stuff as long as you don't make a profit from it. Other corporations will take you to court for any perceived violation of their copyrights. :|
§Doug§ AC000000 Eamus Catuli!!!!
Audere est Facere
"Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn’t go away." Philip K. Dick

Candy Kane
Psychic detective

Postby Candy Kane » Fri May 14, 2010 3:35 pm

Reality Bridge sounds better to me than Secondary Universes. That's just me, and I intend no slight or offense to whoever thought of that one. As for the graphics, I nick those all the time. As a non-profit-making site, the worst you'll get is a cease and desist, in which case it's back to the drawing board. The laws of fair dealing apply, though -- we can argue that we're promoting the source material by referencing it. I've never heard of anyone making a fuss over a thumbnail. On the other hand, fan art is copyright to the artist. If anyone is worried about the graphics I have shamelessly nicked and wants to draw or otherwise generate stuff I can use, I'll go for those.

Thief that I am, I tend to shy away from stealing fan art. I usually ask the artist for permission to use it. But I consider commercial promo pics for movies and whatnot to be fair game because I'm not robbing someone of a possible income by using the pic.

Jenny Dolfen, on the other hand, might be miffed if I used one of her Tolkien character pics for a blog or website without asking her first.

Having said that, I've discovered that if you ask the artists, they're usually most obliging and are happy to let you use their stuff if you credit them and post a link to their websites.

Azriel
Crimebuster

Postby Azriel » Fri May 14, 2010 4:35 pm

Sorry, but isn't this a little rude to evenstar, who already agreed to make the banner?
"The world of books is the most remarkable creation of man. Nothing else that he builds ever lasts. Monuments fall, nations perish, civilizations grow old and die out, and after an era of darkness new races build others. But in the world of books are volumes that have seen this happen again and again and yet live on, still young, still as fresh as the day they were written, still telling men's hearts of the hearts of men centuries dead."

Candy Kane
Psychic detective

Postby Candy Kane » Fri May 14, 2010 4:38 pm

I don't wish to be rude to anyone. I'd love to see Evenstar's banner. Besides, if the one I'm making doesn't get used, at least you can see what I'm able to do. The last thing I want to do is upset anyone. I hope she's not offended that I've come up with a design, but as I said, it can easily be used elsewhere.

TomCotton
Vampire Slayer

Postby TomCotton » Fri May 14, 2010 6:29 pm

I don't see it as being rude to evenstar or emclelland or anyone else that wants to work on a banner graphic. It is just a brainstorming session where stuff gets thrown at the wall to see what sticks. The more submissions and ideas brought up the more likely something will be found that appeals to most everyone. (Like that name thing in which the name "Secondary Universes" shows a great understanding and is one of the best submissions for a name bar none and should be given the utmost in consideration by people of great taste and sophistication. :mrgreen: :P) The final graphic will probably be a cooperative item with elements of all the ideas included. It is not a popularity contest. :)

That example that I posted is just my thoughts on the matter. It does not have to be the final banner graphics. There is a saying that fits my thoughts on if my name and banner idea submissions or ideas are not chosen, but since there are some young and sensitive folks that visit this place I better not post it. :twisted:
§Doug§ AC000000 Eamus Catuli!!!!
Audere est Facere
"Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn’t go away." Philip K. Dick

Candy Kane
Psychic detective

Postby Candy Kane » Fri May 14, 2010 6:32 pm

Tom, if you like the banner I come up with, but want to use it on a site or blog of your own, you can do so with my blessing. I can make a separate title so you can overlay it in a way that suits you. As I said, it might not be used here at all. I just wanted to show people what I can do.

And show off -- let's be honest, here. :twisted:

Candy Kane
Psychic detective

Postby Candy Kane » Fri May 14, 2010 11:11 pm

Okay... the site won't let me use a transparent banner with graphics in, so I had to put the characters in the background. I didn't thread them through the letters because you guys haven't chosen a name for your forum. I took the liberty of using Tom's suggestion this time. The logo can be changed easily -- it's on a transparent background.

emclelland
Mome Rath

Postby emclelland » Fri May 14, 2010 11:23 pm

Hey guys,
So I'm back home- the company I was working for really screwed us around, so apologies for my infrequent updates. Anyway, they've pulled the plug and sent us home, so I'm back on this thing with all of my attention.
I've got to wait till tomorrow to get my computer back from a friend who was storing it for me while I was out of the country, then I'll post the current progress (I have the file but can't open it on my laptop, need to wait for the desktop).
For those worried about copyright, we really should be all right unless we plan on making a profit off of the banner. It's considered fanart, and if memory serves that is perfectly legal as long as we don't start selling prints of said fanart. I can do a little bit of digging on the matter if it would make anyone feel better. :)
Formerly Evenstar33
My Website

Candy Kane
Psychic detective

Postby Candy Kane » Sat May 15, 2010 9:28 am

You're completely correct, emclelland.

I hope you don't feel slighted by my showing off. I'm looking forward to seeing your banner.

emclelland
Mome Rath

Postby emclelland » Mon May 17, 2010 12:39 am

Hey guys,
So I got my computer back and am now able to give you all an update:

I'm planning on putting a couple of hours in this evening as well, as I have a bit of free time.
Let me know what you all think :)
Formerly Evenstar33
My Website

Candy Kane
Psychic detective

Postby Candy Kane » Mon May 17, 2010 8:29 am

That is SO cool! *Bows respectfully*

Azriel
Crimebuster

Postby Azriel » Mon May 17, 2010 8:35 am

Like!
Very very good :)
"The world of books is the most remarkable creation of man. Nothing else that he builds ever lasts. Monuments fall, nations perish, civilizations grow old and die out, and after an era of darkness new races build others. But in the world of books are volumes that have seen this happen again and again and yet live on, still young, still as fresh as the day they were written, still telling men's hearts of the hearts of men centuries dead."

Return to “Questions/Problems”