Richard Adams, Author of 'Watership Down'...

"Abandon the search for Truth; settle for a good fantasy" - come here to discuss your favorite books about things that never happened.
shireling
Frodo's Stewed Coney

Richard Adams, Author of 'Watership Down'...

Postby shireling » Wed Dec 28, 2016 10:47 am

...has died at the age of 96.

I can't remember a time I didn't know Hazel, Big Wig and Fiver. My own dog-eared copy is on the shelf behind me. El-ahrairah, the lapine John Henry, was the inspiration for one of my characters, and all my cats knew that, in our home at least, a hrududu is a vacuum cleaner. I'm going to read that book again in the coming year; the courage of rabbits is not to be taken lightly.

'By Elbereth and Luthien the Fair, you shall have neither the Ring nor me! Engage!'
Avatar courtesy of Candy Kane, Webmistress Extraordinaire and Slayer of Trolls

Padfoot
Rampaging Blood Elf

Re: Richard Adams, Author of 'Watership Down'...

Postby Padfoot » Sat Dec 31, 2016 9:38 am

I remem ober reading it, but I was too young then (like I was when I read LOTR for the first time) to fully comprehend the story. I ought to read it again.
Imagerichardkf7 by Martina Immel, auf Flickr

shireling
Frodo's Stewed Coney

Re: Richard Adams, Author of 'Watership Down'...

Postby shireling » Sat Dec 31, 2016 12:58 pm

I didn't read it until I was in my teens (like LOTR.) And if it's a kid's book, it's a kid book like LOTR is.

I can remember trying to explain why I liked it to a friend of mine then (who was close to the age I am now), and the pitiful look she gave me. It was as if all of my eloquence was reduced to 'Rabbits. Rabbits - rabbits - rabbits, rabbits, rabbits...'

'By Elbereth and Luthien the Fair, you shall have neither the Ring nor me! Engage!'
Avatar courtesy of Candy Kane, Webmistress Extraordinaire and Slayer of Trolls

Return to “Fantasy”