Doctor Who

shireling
Frodo's Stewed Coney

Re: Doctor Who

Postby shireling » Sun Jul 16, 2017 9:38 pm

Oh, she's good!

She's on Broadchurch right now - this is the final season. You couldn't have had a woman before, I don't think. And I just read that the head writer has been replaced, and there's no more Moffat :D .

'By Elbereth and Luthien the Fair, you shall have neither the Ring nor me! Engage!'
Avatar courtesy of Candy Kane, Webmistress Extraordinaire and Slayer of Trolls

Padfoot
Rampaging Blood Elf

Postby Padfoot » Mon Jul 17, 2017 3:26 pm

Imagerichardkf7 by Martina Immel, auf Flickr

shireling
Frodo's Stewed Coney

Postby shireling » Mon Jul 17, 2017 10:20 pm

Good. I like her. And the fact of the matter is, Time Lords aren't locked into any one appearance, age, or gender - they don't even know themselves what they'll end up with when they regenerate. It's sad that it's taken so long, but better late than never :) .

'By Elbereth and Luthien the Fair, you shall have neither the Ring nor me! Engage!'

shireling
Frodo's Stewed Coney

Postby shireling » Tue Jul 18, 2017 8:22 pm

me: i don't care about doctor who
bbc: the doctor is a woman and steven moffat is fired
me: SIGN!!!!!!! :yes: :yes: ME!!!!!! :yes: :yes: THE FUCK!!!!! :yes: :yes: UP!!!!!!!! :yes: :yes: :yes: :yes:

Tags: the second moffat took charge the show took a shit and it's going to be a long time before it fully recovers tbh - fyrichardiii

Padfoot
Rampaging Blood Elf

Postby Padfoot » Wed Jul 19, 2017 5:43 pm

To be honest, neither Matt Smith nor Peter Capaldi really did it for me. Especially some of Capaldi's episodes were extremely confusing. Which is a pity, because he's such a fine actor.

shireling
Frodo's Stewed Coney

Postby shireling » Wed Jul 19, 2017 7:21 pm

Same here. But I think it had to do with the writing. The best Matt Smith episode for me was The Doctor's Wife, which was not a Moffat work. I found myself crying at the end of it.

Padfoot
Rampaging Blood Elf

Postby Padfoot » Thu Jul 20, 2017 9:17 pm

Yes, I think so, too. It wasn't his acting that put me off - it was the storylines that were so confusing that I thought it a waste. Still hope to understand it better now that I'm able to watch the older episodes and "put the story into a timeline", but I'm not sure. I'll just have to wait and see.

shireling
Frodo's Stewed Coney

Postby shireling » Thu Jul 20, 2017 10:19 pm

I agree about the storyline. The 'Ponds' were the 11th Doctor's companions, and in-laws! I never understood why the Melody Pond/River Song plot; everybody knew that the only woman for the Doctor is the Tardis - like the Enterprise and Kirk :lol: ! It was maddening!

It wasn't Matt's acting - or theirs; they did the best they could with what they were given, and I don't know if they had any misgivings. It's nice if you can get the writer to listen to you - after all, it's your behind in front of the camera, so to speak. Anyway I'm looking forward to this Christmas :D .

shireling
Frodo's Stewed Coney

Postby shireling » Fri Jul 21, 2017 10:08 am

I found Tennant Richard II on Youtube, and I'm going to watch as much of it as is posted there. I love/hate this play, because he is sooooooo doomed :( .

Padfoot
Rampaging Blood Elf

Postby Padfoot » Tue Jul 25, 2017 8:25 pm

Wasn't The Master technically the first Timelord to have a female re-incarnation (John Simm/Michelle Gomez)? I still don't understand why it is such a big, but at least the most of the reactions I read so far have been positive.

shireling
Frodo's Stewed Coney

Postby shireling » Wed Jul 26, 2017 1:01 am

That's what I thought. But the Doctor was supposed to be above that, I guess :roll: . Btw, get a load of this.

http://fuckyeahrichardiii.tumblr.com/po ... fallofrain

Read the comments below the gifs. It explains Moffat's indignation, and Peter Capaldi's discomfort.

Padfoot
Rampaging Blood Elf

Postby Padfoot » Wed Oct 11, 2017 4:31 pm

Two weeks into Matt Smith and I'm already completely confused. It's not Matt's acting - I like him and I'd like to see more of his work (like you said, he was doing the best with what he was given), it's the storyline. I didn't know the River Song storyline started with the 10th Doctor, but that doesn't make it better - it makes it even more confusing for me. I'm not sure whether Moffat even knew what he was intending with this storyline or if he got lost somewhere along the way. I will continue watching, though.

The tone of the show has changed completely with the 11th Doctor (respectively Moffat's taking over), and I'm not yet sure what to make of it. Tennant's last few episodes were so gripping and heartbreaking (no, I did not cry, but it was very close). John Simm (whom I like very much, ever since "Life on Mars") had one hell of a job playing all these clones and his Master was a worthy opponent to the Doctor.

River Song re-appeared (the 2-part-episode about the "crying Angel" statues, and I have to say, that her character seems oddly out of place for me. It's probably just too much time-hopping.

So the 13th Doctor isn't the first female Timelord, then. There's Jenny (the Doctor's daughter), and there's River Song, who's at least part Timelord (or part T.A.R.D.I.S), and there's Missy (whom I have yet to encounter), the Master's female incarnation. One would think it's not such a big deal, but apparently it is, for some people, which is a pity.

shireling
Frodo's Stewed Coney

Postby shireling » Thu Oct 12, 2017 2:47 am

Padfoot wrote:Two weeks into Matt Smith and I'm already completely confused. It's not Matt's acting - I like him and I'd like to see more of his work (like you said, he was doing the best with what he was given), it's the storyline. I didn't know the River Song storyline started with the 10th Doctor, but that doesn't make it better - it makes it even more confusing for me. I'm not sure whether Moffat even knew what he was intending with this storyline or if he got lost somewhere along the way. I will continue watching, though.

Just wait until you meet the Victorian lizard woman, her human wife and Sontaran manservant - I spent so much time being in awe of them that I didn't care what the plot was. That may have been a moffatty attempt at misdirection; anyway it worked with me.

Jenny is a problem. She is the by-product of the rape of the 10th Doctor, and her appearance dismayed me. I don't know why she was created because she seems like a throwaway, and to have her conceived by violently assaulting the Doctor...I just hated that. She hasn't been seen since. Actually, she reminds me of the infant daughter of Feyd-Rautha in DUNE. She was born from the mating of the Harkonnen with a Bene Gesserit sister (maybe another backup attempt at a controllable Kwisatz Haderach, but I digress), and is mentioned in the final pages of the first novel, only to be never heard of again.

The tone of the show has changed completely with the 11th Doctor (respectively Moffat's taking over), and I'm not yet sure what to make of it. Tennant's last few episodes were so gripping and heartbreaking (no, I did not cry, but it was very close). John Simm (whom I like very much, ever since "Life on Mars") had one hell of a job playing all these clones and his Master was a worthy opponent to the Doctor.

River Song re-appeared (the 2-part-episode about the "crying Angel" statues, and I have to say, that her character seems oddly out of place for me. It's probably just too much time-hopping.

I agree. I was and am so lost over the last couple of seasons of Matt the 11th, and I don't think I'll ever recover.

So the 13th Doctor isn't the first female Timelord, then. There's Jenny (the Doctor's daughter), and there's River Song, who's at least part Timelord (or part T.A.R.D.I.S), and there's Missy (whom I have yet to encounter), the Master's female incarnation. One would think it's not such a big deal, but apparently it is, for some people, which is a pity.

Well, there was one other Time Lady during the 4th Doctor's tenure. She was played by Lalla Ward, and I don't remember now how she became part of the thing, it was so long ago and I got married, we moved away from my PBS station so I couldn't follow the show anymore, I missed like two whole regenerations, BUT it has happened before.

I don't know if you've seen the David Tennant episodes with the Ood. I just happened on one that I hadn't seen before.

Padfoot
Rampaging Blood Elf

Postby Padfoot » Sun Nov 12, 2017 8:36 pm

Yes, I saw those episodes with the Ood. Heartbreaking.

Boy, this new season with Matt Smith really has my head spinning. It's confusing, and the balance between silly and serious has moved towards silly at an incredible pace. I don't think there was so much talking during Tennant's tenure, Smith is a serious competition for the Gilmore Girls regarding fast-talk. I even fell asleep 2 or 3 times now. It never happened while Tennant was the Doctor! :D Besides, I think the stories of the first seasons (Ecclestone and Tennant) had more depth to them.

shireling
Frodo's Stewed Coney

Postby shireling » Thu Nov 16, 2017 7:34 pm

Padfoot wrote:Yes, I saw those episodes with the Ood. Heartbreaking.

Boy, this new season with Matt Smith really has my head spinning. It's confusing, and the balance between silly and serious has moved towards silly at an incredible pace. I don't think there was so much talking during Tennant's tenure, Smith is a serious competition for the Gilmore Girls regarding fast-talk. I even fell asleep 2 or 3 times now. It never happened while Tennant was the Doctor! :D Besides, I think the stories of the first seasons (Eccleston and Tennant) had more depth to them.

Peter Davison was the first Doctor to have been a fan of the show (he watched it almost from the beginning), and his was a very good outing I thought. But Colin Baker and McCoy didn't have much in the way of stories; if Tom Baker'd had half the run he did, it might have been better for those that came after. It was hard to remember the first three after that - though Pertwee's was five years to Tom's seven.

And I loved the movie with Paul McGann. It was an absolute sin, imho, that he wasn't give a chance to be a proper Doctor.

You've got no argument from me about Eccleston and Tennant, loved them both. Ah, Matt *sigh*. But The Doctor's Wife is, hands down, my all time favorite episode of his - if not of all time. It still brings tears to my eyes.

Return to “Sci-Fi”