The Ivy Bush - General Chat

Padfoot
Rampaging Blood Elf

Re: The Ivy Bush - General Chat

Postby Padfoot » Mon Jan 01, 2018 8:50 pm

Here we are, 2018!
I needed some rest. It wasn't just that I still can't bend my knee (at least I don't need to use the crutches all of the time anymore, but I'm still wearing the bandage) - I felt so exhausted, I couldn't bring myself to switch on the computer. For the first time, mom and I did really nothing but relaxing - which isn't typical, especially for her. Timmy enjoyed it. He loves waking me up at 5:30 a.m. to get his breakfast, then go to bed again. Then he starts nagging at me again around 8:30 a.m. - but this time not to get his second breakfast, but to run downstairs into the living room, where I have to sit down in our big armchair, and he climbs upon my shoulder and curls himself up there, just to snuggle :lol: This has become our morning routine these past fews days, and I'm sure he won't like it when I have to get back to work again on Thursday. :lol: (He's lying right beside me now). I wish you could see me sitting here right now - my furry assistant at my right-hand-side (soaking wet from the rain, but that doesn't prevent him from trying to plant his butt on the keyboard). :D

Let's hope 2018 will bring a much-needed impeachment. I am, however, anxious about what will happen then. He's feeding his followers with so much false information, I'm afraid an impeachment might turn out into some kind of civil war - riots at least. My mother says it reminds her of the WW2 times (she's born in 1938 and was a child during the war), and she is really frightened.
Imagerichardkf7 by Martina Immel, auf Flickr

shireling
Frodo's Stewed Coney

Postby shireling » Mon Jan 01, 2018 11:27 pm

"He who learns must suffer. And even in our sleep pain that cannot forget falls drop by drop upon the heart, and in our own despair, against our will, comes wisdom to us by the awful grace of God." - Aeschylus

Avatar courtesy of Candy Kane, Webmistress Extraordinaire and Slayer of Trolls

shireling
Frodo's Stewed Coney

Postby shireling » Wed Jan 03, 2018 7:37 am

Padfoot wrote:Here we are, 2018!
I needed some rest. It wasn't just that I still can't bend my knee (at least I don't need to use the crutches all of the time anymore, but I'm still wearing the bandage) - I felt so exhausted, I couldn't bring myself to switch on the computer. For the first time, mom and I did really nothing but relaxing - which isn't typical, especially for her. Timmy enjoyed it. He loves waking me up at 5:30 a.m. to get his breakfast, then go to bed again. Then he starts nagging at me again around 8:30 a.m. - but this time not to get his second breakfast, but to run downstairs into the living room, where I have to sit down in our big armchair, and he climbs upon my shoulder and curls himself up there, just to snuggle :lol: This has become our morning routine these past fews days, and I'm sure he won't like it when I have to get back to work again on Thursday. :lol: (He's lying right beside me now). I wish you could see me sitting here right now - my furry assistant at my right-hand-side (soaking wet from the rain, but that doesn't prevent him from trying to plant his butt on the keyboard). :D

I'm glad you're doing better - you sound good :) .

It's not that I don't love Timmy. It's just that I'm old, and I prefer a aged cat snoring on my bed to one that wants to sit his soggy bottom on anything electronic :paperbag: - let alone my computer :/ . But he sounds like just the right fit for you, and I'm happy he came into your life :D .

I've had second thoughts about what I wrote earlier. I am positively terrified, and I can't imagine being alive, let alone being a small child during the Third Reich. I have so much respect for your mom. Each and every day, here, it sounds as though the noose is beginning to tighten around this administration, but there's apparently nothing in place to quickly remove this danger from office.

The other day, I heard a story about Benjamin Franklin. The details were still being hammered out, and as he left the meeting, a woman stopped him and asked if we were to have a democracy or a republic. He replied,
A republic, madam. If you can keep it.

I feel sorry for the people who voted for him, and regret it now. Unfortunately, there's not enough of them to stand up and admit it. Yesterday, there was a car in front of me with a Trump sticker, saying something about being non-PC and proud of it. You don't see many of them now. I've counted two in the past four months and that was the second one. It may be that they just can't admit they've been snookered. I spent that whole year - 2016 - trying to find out what the 'attraction' was. Some said it was that they couldn't stand the other candidate (mainly because they had swallowed all of the propaganda against her, and it'll be a cold day in hell when they back down from that, too.) Or they just believed him, and I think it's this one.

Let's hope 2018 will bring a much-needed impeachment. I am, however, anxious about what will happen then. He's feeding his followers with so much false information, I'm afraid an impeachment might turn out into some kind of civil war - riots at least. My mother says it reminds her of the WW2 times (she's born in 1938 and was a child during the war), and she is really frightened.

He's not the only one spouting garbage. We still have Russia causing trouble, besides Trumps minions; don't forget, he's got the Fox Network sucking up. I am so ashamed of the Republicans in Congress, and I didn't think it was possible to be more disgusted then I am - they surprised me. I can't help wondering sometimes what Lincoln would think.

It's not simply a matter of voting him out of office - he needs to leave before something happens that none of us will recover from. And I mean the whole world, a nuclear nightmare. We have nothing to stop him, legally, from pressing the button. I know it sounds crazy, but tackling him or disobeying him in this matter is not just considered bad form or illegal. It's treason. I'm not afraid of dying; I'm scared of living through that, even for a short while.

I have never seen anybody who had so little regard for all that matters, as this guy. I refuse, and I haven't yet and I won't call him president. He's not mine, and never would be - not after all the years of birtherism. That alone kept me from even considering him in the office; everything else I've known just added to it. I look at some of those who still support him, like the brown-shirts of the 1930's. They won't know what they've lost till it's gone. I don't care that he 'won' the Electoral College. He lost the popular vote, and that tortures him like untreated burn, to which I say 'GOOD'.

Now, he's supposed to have a check-up at Bethesda, sometime this month. The results are to be revealed to the American people, but I'll believe it when I see it. We don't even have a baseline for his health, and I'm thinking that he's following in his father's wake with Alzheimer's. I just don't believe we'll be told the truth, if there's anyway he can prevent it.

It's not that I don't trust anyone anymore. I've just come to expect, what in the past, would never have occurred to me.

But one more thing - now that I've finally had some sleep after taking the medication intended for daylight hours :roll: . That's the second time I've done that in two years. I hope I'm done.

Anyway, it's important that we not lose hope. That we don't let it, that thing, become the new normal. Yeah, we're sick of it. At least once a day, I'm screaming (internally), Make it stop! It's exhausting, especially for me, who has done rather well at avoiding this until now. It's vital that we take care of ourselves

- Get enough sleep! Don't argue with me, just do it!
- Do something nice for somebody who probably has less in reserve than you.
- Drink at least 8 glasses of water a day, and avoid the urge to flavor it.
- Take one meal a week and eat what you want. Go ahead, make it sheet cake if that's what floats your boat, but only do that once a month (if you missed the SNL with Tina Fey, go Youtube it.)
- Offer to walk a dog. Any dog - borrow one if you have to. There's something grounding about picking up poop that can't be explained.
- Listen to music you like for a change (time to shift out the Christmas CDs for a little Eugene Hutz.)
- Smile at a baby. With your teeth in.

That's all I've got. Now go forth and do this...

"He who learns must suffer. And even in our sleep pain that cannot forget falls drop by drop upon the heart, and in our own despair, against our will, comes wisdom to us by the awful grace of God." - Aeschylus

Padfoot
Rampaging Blood Elf

Postby Padfoot » Thu Jan 04, 2018 10:39 am

t's not simply a matter of voting him out of office - he needs to leave before something happens that none of us will recover from. And I mean the whole world, a nuclear nightmare. We have nothing to stop him, legally, from pressing the button. I know it sounds crazy, but tackling him or disobeying him in this matter is not just considered bad form or illegal. It's treason. I'm not afraid of dying; I'm scared of living through that, even for a short while.

Did you hear about his latest tweets after Kim Jong Un spoke to his people and mentioned the "red button" on his table ("My button is bigger than yours and it actually works")?
This whole "mine's bigger than yours" boasting sounds like a kindergarten game - except that we're talking about the presidents of two countries boasting about unleashing nuclear weapons. Disgusting doesn't even come close.

On a brighter note and a totally different subject:
I watched "Guardians of the Galaxy" this weekend, and I liked it. :yes:

First day back at work. Catching up on some much-needed bookkeeping work. Timmy didn't like my leaving this morning. :lol: He protested loudly. :D I guess he got used to endless cuddle hours during the holidays :lol: :lol:

It's not that I don't love Timmy. It's just that I'm old, and I prefer a aged cat snoring on my bed to one that wants to sit his soggy bottom on anything electronic :paperbag: - let alone my computer :/ . But he sounds like just the right fit for you, and I'm happy he came into your life :D .

Oh, he is right for us - even if it gets exhausting to keep him away from the computers - or files. I was filing documents yesterday - or at least I tried to because he planted himself right across the folders. His Majesty is allergic to any kind of work that might distract our attention from him. :lol: :paperbag: I was lucky he didn't shred the papers. :paperbag:

shireling
Frodo's Stewed Coney

Postby shireling » Thu Jan 04, 2018 3:06 pm

Padfoot wrote:Did you hear about his latest tweets after Kim Jong Un spoke to his people and mentioned the "red button" on his table ("My button is bigger than yours and it actually works")?
This whole "mine's bigger than yours" boasting sounds like a kindergarten game - except that we're talking about the presidents of two countries boasting about unleashing nuclear weapons. Disgusting doesn't even come close.

Oh yeah, that's what I was alluding to, the my button verses yours. Most days there are no words - it's a total fail. I'd like to see the two of them on a deserted island, away from everything else, and watch what happens.

On a brighter note and a totally different subject:
I watched "Guardians of the Galaxy" this weekend, and I liked it. :yes:

I did, too. I haven't seen the sequel yet, but I'm looking forward to it. :)

First day back at work. Catching up on some much-needed bookkeeping work. Timmy didn't like my leaving this morning. :lol: He protested loudly. :D I guess he got used to endless cuddle hours during the holidays :lol: :lol:

Oh, he is right for us - even if it gets exhausting to keep him away from the computers - or files. I was filing documents yesterday - or at least I tried to because he planted himself right across the folders. His Majesty is allergic to any kind of work that might distract our attention from him. :lol: :paperbag: I was lucky he didn't shred the papers. :paperbag:

We're lucky in that we've both gotten the cats we need :lol:

shireling
Frodo's Stewed Coney

Postby shireling » Thu Jan 04, 2018 3:38 pm

Please look at these *tears of joy*

http://fuckyeahrichardiii.tumblr.com/post/169303976379

shireling
Frodo's Stewed Coney

Postby shireling » Fri Jan 05, 2018 6:28 pm

We just had the neatest thing happen.

The Honey and I have lunch on Friday's at the Steak 'n Shake, and today, somebody paid our bill. I was so stunned. I asked who was it? and the server couldn't tell me. God bless them! That was so sweet, and thoughtful. *happy tear*

Padfoot
Rampaging Blood Elf

Postby Padfoot » Tue Jan 09, 2018 8:05 pm

Seriously? That was a beautiful belated Christmas Present!

I had a very nice belated present as well! Our boss granted all of us a one-off extra payment. And even though 50% goes off (taxes), the payment was large enough to keep my balance in credit. None of us expected this to happen (hehe, his son sometimes jokingly calls him a "penny-pincher") so it was all the more a pleasant surprise. :yay: AND my capital-forming savings agreement was due this month, so I was able to transfer this money to my savings book. :D This month things are looking considerably brighter than they have for a long time. Call me a fool, but I'm waiting for the next hammer to fall on my head... :paperbag:

Guess who discovered I'm working at the laptop and places himself where I need him least? :lol: :lol: ImageImage

shireling
Frodo's Stewed Coney

Postby shireling » Tue Jan 09, 2018 11:16 pm

Padfoot wrote:Seriously? That was a beautiful belated Christmas Present!

It was!

I had a very nice belated present as well! Our boss granted all of us a one-off extra payment. And even though 50% goes off (taxes), the payment was large enough to keep my balance in credit. None of us expected this to happen (hehe, his son sometimes jokingly calls him a "penny-pincher") so it was all the more a pleasant surprise. :yay: AND my capital-forming savings agreement was due this month, so I was able to transfer this money to my savings book. :D This month things are looking considerably brighter than they have for a long time. Call me a fool, but I'm waiting for the next hammer to fall on my head... :paperbag:

WOW! That was awesome from your boss! No :lol: don't wait for the next hammer :lol: - enjoy!

Guess who discovered I'm working at the laptop and places himself where I need him least? :lol: :lol: ImageImage

Daaaaa, idk? Does it have stripes, four legs, and its initials are T.I.M.M.Y.? ;)

shireling
Frodo's Stewed Coney

Postby shireling » Fri Jan 12, 2018 11:47 am

*sigh* I can't stand it. I just can't. I am so done. Not. Never.

Where in the hell is Congress?

Padfoot
Rampaging Blood Elf

Postby Padfoot » Thu Jan 18, 2018 1:55 pm

Who would have thought real life might outshine House of Cards?

Bad weather over here. America may face its coldest winter of all times (according to a certain President-impostor), but we're facing hurricanes over here right now. Bad blizzard yesterday, bad hurricane today (literally). The train and flight traffic has been stopped all across the country. I'm glad I made it to work unharmed on both days. I'll be even more glad once my car is safely tucked inside its garage and I'm safely tucked inside my house!

Timmy is taking care of mom. He makes sure she won't move more than 3 steps away from her armchair. :lol: :lol: :yes:

shireling
Frodo's Stewed Coney

Postby shireling » Thu Jan 18, 2018 6:30 pm

Padfoot wrote:Who would have thought real life might outshine House of Cards?

Speaking of F. U. , how'd you like those results from the physical? So, we're talking 6'3" and 239 lbs? I am 5'2" and 264 lbs. There is no way, no way, no way, that he weighs less than me, and my cholesterol could beat up his and hogtie it any day of the week!

Btw, I am now an Official Card-carrying Member of the Girthers! ...239 lbs, my fat fanny...

Bad weather over here. America may face its coldest winter of all times (according to a certain President-impostor), but we're facing hurricanes over here right now. Bad blizzard yesterday, bad hurricane today (literally). The train and flight traffic has been stopped all across the country. I'm glad I made it to work unharmed on both days. I'll be even more glad once my car is safely tucked inside its garage and I'm safely tucked inside my house!

I think we're on about the same latitude, Paddy. We've had some very blustery days here, with horizontal precipitation, ice sandwiches (a layer of snow, a layer of ice, a layer of snow), and wind chills below 0. The high today is -5 C by 5 PM, which is warmer than we've been for quite a while.

Timmy is taking care of mom. He makes sure she won't move more than 3 steps away from her armchair. :lol: :lol: :yes:

How is your mom doing? I hope she's better. There's nothing like a Timmy to keep up your spirits :).

Padfoot
Rampaging Blood Elf

Postby Padfoot » Mon Jan 22, 2018 8:14 am

I think we're on about the same latitude, Paddy. We've had some very blustery days here, with horizontal precipitation, ice sandwiches (a layer of snow, a layer of ice, a layer of snow), and wind chills below 0. The high today is -5 C by 5 PM, which is warmer than we've been for quite a while.

That's the way it has been here the last few days. It's yo-yo weather. By Wednesday, it's supposed to be +10°C again. No good for my migraine.

How is your mom doing? I hope she's better.

Her back is giving her a lot of pain (it's her spine, Morbus Bechterew), but I suppose there's not much that can be done about it. It's the age. Other than that, she's doing OK so far. The doctor keeps monitoring her blood test results, taking samples every 3 months, so if the MDS gets worse, they might start with a new treatment as soon as possible. But the last results were promising, and she said, for the moment, there's nothing to worry about. Her next appointment is in April.

There's nothing like a Timmy to keep up your spirits :)

He's taken to place himself on her pillow, above her head, like a living beaver hat :lol: It looks so funny! :lol:

Thank you so much for the lovely birthday card! :glomp: I had a nice birthday, we went out for breakfast and the whole family came for dinner. :)

shireling
Frodo's Stewed Coney

Postby shireling » Mon Jan 22, 2018 11:34 am

Padfoot wrote:...It's yo-yo weather. By Wednesday, it's supposed to be +10°C again. No good for my migraine.

Normally I don't care much for Spring - at least not how it's done here. Gloomy, damp, blossoming only to get smacked down by a late frost, plant hysteria. But right now, I'd take it :lol: .

(Mom's) back is giving her a lot of pain (it's her spine, Morbus Bechterew), but I suppose there's not much that can be done about it. It's the age. Other than that, she's doing OK so far. The doctor keeps monitoring her blood test results, taking samples every 3 months, so if the MDS gets worse, they might start with a new treatment as soon as possible. But the last results were promising, and she said, for the moment, there's nothing to worry about. Her next appointment is in April.

I've got to look that up, Morbus Becterew, I'd never heard of that before. I'm so sorry she hurts :( , Paddy. I hope it gets better.

(Timmy's) taken to place himself on her pillow, above her head, like a living beaver hat :lol: It looks so funny! :lol:

Kess used to do that to me :lol: . Uneasy lies the head that wears the kitty, apologies to Shakespeare.

Thank you so much for the lovely birthday card! :glomp: I had a nice birthday, we went out for breakfast and the whole family came for dinner. :)

You're most welcome, sweetie :hug: ! Thanks for yours as well and letting me know about them :) !

Padfoot
Rampaging Blood Elf

Postby Padfoot » Tue Jan 30, 2018 10:39 am

My colleagues are on sick leave one after another. :D I just hope I'll be spared the flu this year.

Not much to do currently, so I'm a little bored at work. :D

I treated myself with Sherlock, Season 4, and a new book, but I have yet to watch Sherlock.

Return to “General Chat”