Around the World in 80 Days by Jules Verne

"Fiction reveals truths that reality obscures." - come here to discuss all fiction that isn't fantasy or sci-fi.
TomCotton
Vampire Slayer

Around the World in 80 Days by Jules Verne

Postby TomCotton » Sat Jul 03, 2010 9:42 pm

Having recently realized that I have neither had the pleasure of reading Around the World in 80 Days by Jules Verne nor have ever viewed any film of said tome in its entirety , a reading was decided upon in order to get a true understanding of the story as written by the author. In pursuit of that goal a volume was discovered in a local used book store and purchased for the stated purpose.

Preliminary indications are that as usual the film makers have made a mockery of the story in order to appeal to the movie going public. When will they ever realize that the original story in its original form is what has attracted countless millions to enjoy the book? It is beyond my humble comprehension.

The book, so far as I have read, is thouroughly entertaining and is highly recommended to others looking for a good story. I find it quite amusing that the detective who is trying to arrest Mr. Fogg is given the name of Fix and the central point of the plot is a wager between Mr. Fogg and other members of the Refom Club in London, England. Congruent to the wager between friends are the numerous wagers placed by the general public on the outcome of the adventure, the odds being heavily against Mr. Fogg in completing the journey in the agreed up time limit.
:P
§Doug§ AC000000 Eamus Catuli!!!!
Audere est Facere
"Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn’t go away." Philip K. Dick

lotrfotrttrotk
Crimebuster

Re: Around the World in 80 Days by Jules Verne

Postby lotrfotrttrotk » Wed Jul 07, 2010 10:54 pm

I haven't seen any versions of the movie, but the book is in that 100-ish book pile I have called "to read". I'll get to it...eventually. :/
All that is gold does not glitter; Not all those who wander are lost.
The old that is strong does not whither; deep roots are not reached by the frost.
From the ashes a fire shall be woken; a light from the shadows shall spring.
Renewed shall be blade that was broken; the crownless again shall be King."

Shuggy
Wyvern
Location: Navigating Defecation Creek Without Any Oars Whatsoever.

Postby Shuggy » Thu Aug 12, 2010 1:50 pm

TomCotton wrote:Having recently realized that I have neither had the pleasure of reading Around the World in 80 Days by Jules Verne nor have ever viewed any film of said tome in its entirety <snip> :P

Nope; I haven't either, but my Mum and Dad used to have a lighter and cigarette holder shaped like globes that were also music boxes - when you wound them up they tinkled the tune 'Around the World in 80 Days', and rotated on their (heavy) bases.

The smaller of the two (the cigarette lighter) actually 'revolved' in an eliptical orbit, and looked like it was always on the verge of falling off the base - it hypnotised me as a small child!

For the lighter, the top half of the globe flipped up (like a zippo lid) and the circular lighter sat inside; for the cigarette holder, the top half pulled up on a telescoping rod, and the cigarettes all sat inside in individual holes.

In the 70's it was a classy and desirable item!

Anyway; I doubt I'll be aquainting myself with either novel or film any time soon.
"Your Mother Cooks Socks in Hell!"

Azriel
Crimebuster

Postby Azriel » Fri Aug 13, 2010 3:12 pm

I enjoyed the book when I read it but to be honest I remember being kinda disappointed that it wasn't nearly as exciting as the movie. I don't mean that joke of an adaptation with Jackie Chan - I haven't seen that one but the previews make it abundantly clear that it's NOT Around the World in 80 Days.

The original movie with David Niven is SO good. It's a real adventure movie and includes so many different countries and scenery. For its time it was really groundbreaking. It also included appearances by tons of famous actors including Frank Sinatra, Noel Coward, Marlene Dietrich, Red Skelton, and Buster Keaton.

Here's the old trailer - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fEqkeNTLrcM

(I've visited that giant buddha they show there, it's in Kamakura, Japan. I've been inside it, hehe.)
"The world of books is the most remarkable creation of man. Nothing else that he builds ever lasts. Monuments fall, nations perish, civilizations grow old and die out, and after an era of darkness new races build others. But in the world of books are volumes that have seen this happen again and again and yet live on, still young, still as fresh as the day they were written, still telling men's hearts of the hearts of men centuries dead."

Return to “General Fiction”