Inception - VERY interesting. Has anyone seen it?

Any movies that don't fall under the other categories can be discussed in here
Azriel
Crimebuster

Inception - VERY interesting. Has anyone seen it?

Postby Azriel » Fri Aug 13, 2010 2:59 pm

So I finally got around to seeing this movie last week. For a while most of my friend's Facebook statuses were some variation of "Inception was SO awesome" or "going to see Inception today, AGAIN!"
So I figured I should go see it, especially after my brother said it's one of the best movies he's seen in several years.

I didn't start off well as my fiancee and I both majorly failed at reading clocks and ended up walking into the theater a hour late. We both completely misread every clock we'd been looking at all afternoon and thought it was an hour earlier than it was.
We decided to stay anyway so I saw the last half of Inception first, and then watched the beginning later that evening. Even so, it was a very interesting movie.

I really liked the idea of layers of dreams existing and how time gets slower and slower the deeper into dreams one goes.

Who else liked it? What did you think of the end? They left it hanging as to whether or not he was in a dream - it's good but also kinda annoying because I want to know. Do it yourself endings are so hard to deal with... just like the end of Pan's Labyrinth.
"The world of books is the most remarkable creation of man. Nothing else that he builds ever lasts. Monuments fall, nations perish, civilizations grow old and die out, and after an era of darkness new races build others. But in the world of books are volumes that have seen this happen again and again and yet live on, still young, still as fresh as the day they were written, still telling men's hearts of the hearts of men centuries dead."

Shuggy
Wyvern
Location: Navigating Defecation Creek Without Any Oars Whatsoever.

Re: Inception - VERY interesting. Has anyone seen it?

Postby Shuggy » Fri Aug 13, 2010 3:45 pm

I haven't seen it yet, and you know what; even though it should have my name written all over it, I have absolutely no desire to see it. I don't know why that is - perhaps because none of the actors excite me much; or maybe because I have come to realise that if all Christopher Nolan's films were a colour, they'd be beige - even The Dark Knight is becoming more and more 'beige' the more I think about it.

There's NO WAY I could walk into a film that had been running for an hour already and sit down to watch the rest. Couldn't do it. :shock:

The notion of time going slower the 'deeper' you go? See 'Thief of Time' by Terry Pratchett.
"Your Mother Cooks Socks in Hell!"

Azriel
Crimebuster

Postby Azriel » Fri Aug 13, 2010 3:54 pm

Hehe well we had spent $18 each on the tickets - didn't want to throw it down the drain. If we were in a different country (the US or England) We would have just walked into a different movie that was just starting but in Japan movie tickets are reserved seating and also we'd never have been sure if we were walking into a movie that was entirely Japanese, or just Japanese subbed.
So we still enjoyed the movie and were easily able to follow *what* was happening, we just didn't know *why* it had started happening. We later watched it online and realized we'd only missed about 40 min of the movie because I guess previews took up the first part.

This movie wasn't really anything like Thief of Time, though of course being Pratchett that's a great book :)
"The world of books is the most remarkable creation of man. Nothing else that he builds ever lasts. Monuments fall, nations perish, civilizations grow old and die out, and after an era of darkness new races build others. But in the world of books are volumes that have seen this happen again and again and yet live on, still young, still as fresh as the day they were written, still telling men's hearts of the hearts of men centuries dead."

Shuggy
Wyvern

Postby Shuggy » Fri Aug 13, 2010 4:19 pm

Azriel wrote:This movie wasn't really anything like Thief of Time, though of course being Pratchett that's a great book :)

Oh no; I'm aware the film as a whole is NOTHING like 'Thief of Time' - I was just referring to that particular concept you mentioned.

As an aside - is it true that the highest compliment a Japanese audience can give a film is complete silence?

Azriel
Crimebuster

Postby Azriel » Fri Aug 13, 2010 4:30 pm

Hehe I have no idea. I kinda doubt it.
That might have been true a while back but younger generations are much less traditional and tend to be rather westernized when it comes to pop culture.
Every movie I've been to here (5 or so) has ended with people leaving quietly, but then the only time I've had an audience clap even in the US is if it was a midnight new release - otherwise we just leave quietly (or to muttered discussion).

One unusual thing they do here in Japan is they stay in their seats until the credits have stopped rolling. Almost everyone stays, even if the credits are in English and nobody can read them as fast as they're scrolling.
In the states unless there's an after-credit easter egg most people leave as soon as the credits start. The lights come on and everything.

Shuggy
Wyvern

Postby Shuggy » Fri Aug 13, 2010 4:38 pm

Azriel wrote:Hehe I have no idea. I kinda doubt it.
That might have been true a while back but younger generations are much less traditional and tend to be rather westernized when it comes to pop culture.

I suspected that maybe the case, sadly. It's a nice notion though.

Azriel wrote:Every movie I've been to here (5 or so) has ended with people leaving quietly, but then the only time I've had an audience clap even in the US is if it was a midnight new release - otherwise we just leave quietly (or to muttered discussion).

Yeah, being from the UK I have never, ever seen a film where the audience claps and cheers at the end. Why would an audience do that anyway? It's not like the film its' producers, studio or actors know! :lol:

Azriel wrote:One unusual thing they do here in Japan is they stay in their seats until the credits have stopped rolling. Almost everyone stays, even if the credits are in English and nobody can read them as fast as they're scrolling.
In the states unless there's an after-credit easter egg most people leave as soon as the credits start. The lights come on and everything.

I wonder why that is? Politeness? Getting their money's worth?

Candy Kane
Psychic detective

Postby Candy Kane » Fri Aug 13, 2010 8:41 pm

That's quite funny, although there are some movies with funny or interesting credits that are worth staying for. Or the soundtrack is great. I liked Inception a lot. The story was complex and involved, and I liked the tricky ending.
To err is but human, to forgive divine, and to design is AWESOME! :8

ElviraStarkeeper
Grumbling Murloc

Postby ElviraStarkeeper » Fri Aug 13, 2010 10:09 pm

I liked inception a lot, it managed to stay exciting and interesting, and i am always impressed when things go differently than i expect them to. One thing i appreciated was the emotional bits didnt drag oooonnnnn and oooooooooooonnn like they tend to in a lot of movies these days. We dont need 10 minutes of siginificant looks every time a character sees another one :P

I dont think it is the BEST movie out there, mayybe slides into a potential bottom spot on my extensive list of favourites, but it gets the honour of more than once in theaters.

Also: AUGH the ending AUGH *flail*
You've got to change the world,
and use this chance to be heard.
But dancing is fine too :P

Keith
House Elf

Postby Keith » Sat Aug 14, 2010 6:07 am

I saw this a few weeks ago and really enjoyed it - as well as the awesome visuals, it's a 'smart' movie that doesn't become incomprehensible if you miss one small detail. I also liked that it didn't try to hide or sanitize the fact that it was about, well, crime. It was mildly amusing that this fresh-faced cute student was all "Oh, a bunch of white-collar crooks want me to help them brainwash a guy? Sweet!"

(Speaking of which, Ariadne sure is nosy, isn't she? I can't see most people psychoanalyzing their boss. :D It felt almost like the movie was going to set up a romance between them, but it was good that it didn't.)

Azriel
Crimebuster

Postby Azriel » Sat Aug 14, 2010 4:41 pm

I really liked that it wasn't heavy on romance either, and it's actually nice to see an action movie that doesn't also feel the need to add gratuitous sexual tension.

I found it *slightly* heavyhanded that they chose the name Ariadne. But it didn't bother me too much :p

Return to “Other Movies”