The Ivy Bush - General Chat

ElviraStarkeeper
Grumbling Murloc

Re: The Ivy Bush - General Chat

Postby ElviraStarkeeper » Thu Mar 15, 2018 7:39 am

Hey Everyone ~ It's been a while! I figured i'd pop in and see how everyone is!
Padfoot: I hope you're feeling better!
Allegra: Im so sorry to hear about your kitty. :(
Hi Shireling, hope you are well!
You've got to change the world,
and use this chance to be heard.
But dancing is fine too :P

shireling
Frodo's Stewed Coney

Postby shireling » Thu Mar 15, 2018 12:27 pm

Hi Elvira! :hug: I've missed your dancing banana!

"He who learns must suffer. And even in our sleep pain that cannot forget falls drop by drop upon the heart, and in our own despair, against our will, comes wisdom to us by the awful grace of God." - Aeschylus

Avatar courtesy of Candy Kane, Webmistress Extraordinaire and Slayer of Trolls

Padfoot
Rampaging Blood Elf

Postby Padfoot » Mon Mar 19, 2018 2:09 pm

Hello again!
I'm back at work, though I'm still not feeling well. But my colleague has handed in her notice and is on sick leave for the rest of her remaining time. :(

I'll tell you more as soon as I fell well enough to come back and post! I feel like I'm on the verge to a pneumonia and I try my best to avoid it.. :(
Imagerichardkf7 by Martina Immel, auf Flickr

shireling
Frodo's Stewed Coney

Postby shireling » Mon Mar 19, 2018 6:33 pm

:hug: :hug: :hug: :coffee: :downapint: Hugs & Fluids!

"He who learns must suffer. And even in our sleep pain that cannot forget falls drop by drop upon the heart, and in our own despair, against our will, comes wisdom to us by the awful grace of God." - Aeschylus

shireling
Frodo's Stewed Coney

Postby shireling » Fri Mar 30, 2018 9:11 pm

This Easter, they made 'Pankcake & Syrup' Marshmallow Peeps! :thud: They were magnificent - notice the past tense :slowblush: . All they needed was sausage.

Padfoot
Rampaging Blood Elf

Postby Padfoot » Wed Apr 25, 2018 4:35 am

*waves hello*
I'm here! Sorry for the absence, I'm training a new colleague and it means 14-hour-days at the office for me. I'm working on a long post, but it may take some more days!

shireling
Frodo's Stewed Coney

Postby shireling » Fri Apr 27, 2018 4:59 pm

*hi back*
It's okay. I've been fighting congested lung syndrome, and except for a few goodies I could post, I haven't been here much. Hope your weather's improved, Paddy. It is simply gorgeous here :) .

shireling
Frodo's Stewed Coney

Postby shireling » Fri May 04, 2018 10:36 pm

"If you tell the truth, you don't need to have a good memory." - Judge Judy

Just a wee shout-out to nobody in particular...

Allegra
Mome Rath

Postby Allegra » Tue May 08, 2018 12:50 pm

Are you feeling better shireling?

shireling
Frodo's Stewed Coney

Postby shireling » Tue May 08, 2018 8:46 pm

Yes, Allegra, thank you. We should be hearing back from Paddy soon; she's been training a new staffer. Both her mom and she have had a really rough winter when it comes to colds/flu - I hope that's finally over and they're okay. How have you been doing?

Btw, the Judge Judy quote was for Donald Trump. I truly feel honored to be among the hundreds of thousands of those whom he ignores.

Allegra
Mome Rath

Postby Allegra » Wed May 09, 2018 12:55 pm

I am doing okay. I started my 40th year of work on May 1 and my office took me out as a celebration. I got a plaque signed by our deputy minister for our Department and get to choose a gift. I chose an updated Fitbit. Also, I turned 60 in April.

shireling
Frodo's Stewed Coney

Postby shireling » Wed May 09, 2018 3:06 pm

Congratulations on your Work Anniversary and 60th Birthday, Allegra :D !

You've been working all my married life, lady, and then some :lol: ! I know it's early days, but how do you like being 60? I'll turn 64 in October, and it doesn't seem like it - until my arthritis kicks up or I look in the mirror :) .

Allegra
Mome Rath

Postby Allegra » Thu May 10, 2018 12:25 pm

I feel the same as I did when I was 59. I don't feel any different.

shireling
Frodo's Stewed Coney

Postby shireling » Thu May 10, 2018 6:49 pm

Allegra wrote:I feel the same as I did when I was 59. I don't feel any different.

:) I don't really either, which is not was I was expecting. But, I think younger than I did, when I was young. I felt so old and tired in my teens - it was a very stormy adolescence. I wouldn't wish it on anyone. But if I could be any age again, I'd like 26 for about a decade :) .

Padfoot
Rampaging Blood Elf

Postby Padfoot » Sun May 13, 2018 4:35 pm

Hello Ladies, and a happy belated birthday to you, Allegra! :cheers: :bday: :hug:

Yes, I'm training a new colleague, and so far, things are working out well. Although it's in times like these when I realize the true scale of my work. She's been with us since early April, and we've barely scratched the surface. But by now, I'm already able to leave some of the writing to her, as well as some of the invoice verifications we do, as she's learning by doing. For the moment, I can only give the textbook stuff to her, and I still have to monitor her every step, but that's OK. I expect this to go on until the end of the year, at least. What's equally important: she seems to be a nice person, and so far we get along very well. Lots of laughter at the office these days. She's about my sister's age (mid-50s), and has no problem with a younger person (cough) telling her what to do. :D

Speaking of younger... 2018 marks the 31st year I'm doing this job at this very firm (I started at 18, and I'm 49 now). Hopefully I'll be able to spend the rest of my working days there.

Training the new colleague (who's doing 30 hours a week/6 hours a day) means I don't get much work done during the time she's around. That's fine with me, but I need to get my work done as well, so I have been working overtime for 6 weeks in a row now, and that's exhausting. Usually I get home around 7:30/8:00 pm. And I can tell you, I fall asleep as soon as my bottom hits the sofa. Fortunately, May has some bank holidays in store (Labour Day on May 1st, Ascencion Day on May 10th and Corpus Christi on May 31st), and we're making use of every single one).

My knee is still a problem, it keeps on giving way underneath me from time to time (usually at the most inconvenient times), and I guess sooner or later I'll have to pay the doctor another visit. I don't look forward to that.

My niece Larissa has finished High School and taken her A-Levels now. We've been choosing dresses for prom night (we had to come along at her insistance), and other random stuff. She's planning to train to become a medical technologist. School starts on September 1st, but her application for 2018 was probably too late (despite our warnings, she thought it'd be enough to apply 4 weeks before school's finished) and she'll have to bridge the time gap somehow - given that she's going to pass the eleven-plus, which takes place on May 17th. If she passes, she'll be listed on a waiting list for 2018, but it's more likely she'll start in 2019.

Larissa and her boyfriend have been a great help to mom and me. Because of my knee issues, I went for it (without asking mom first) and asked him if he could do the mowing this year, and he immediately agreed. He said it's no problem for him, he'd wanted to bring the topic up anyway. He actually needs half the time it takes me to get the garden mowed :lol: :lol: :lol: I pay him, of course - I don't want him to do the work for free, I know what a steep plague garden #1 is :lol: . Garden #2 is much easier to handle and I'll do this one. He was here on Friday, along with Larissa, her sister Lena and their mother, and we did an "overall attack" on both gardens. Larissa and Mom planted potatoes, My sister and Lena cleaned the balcony from top to bottom and Dominic and I mowed the garden. He mowed, I did the trimming. And after he was finished, he joined Mom and Larissa in garden #2 to help with the potatoes and weeding the paths. :lol: :lol: When I picked them up for lunch, I found a happy mom. :lol: I tell you: this girl hit the jackpot with him :lol:

The mouse hunter extraordinaire has opened the hunting season again. He already brought me several gift mice, and I'm glad for every night he doesn't wake me :lol: :lol:

I hope you're all fine and doing well!!

Return to “General Chat”