Richard III

shireling
Frodo's Stewed Coney

Re: Richard III

Postby shireling » Sat Oct 08, 2016 10:05 pm

Hail Mary, full of grace,
Punch that Devil in the face!- cheerleaderswithpompoms

I missed his grace's birthday on October 2cd, so this is a belated present :) .

"He who learns must suffer. And even in our sleep pain that cannot forget falls drop by drop upon the heart, and in our own despair, against our will, comes wisdom to us by the awful grace of God." - Aeschylus

Avatar courtesy of Candy Kane, Webmistress Extraordinaire and Slayer of Trolls

shireling
Frodo's Stewed Coney

Postby shireling » Wed Nov 16, 2016 1:28 pm

...I've got a really good idea now of how it must have felt to be a Yorkist the week after Bosworth Field...

"He who learns must suffer. And even in our sleep pain that cannot forget falls drop by drop upon the heart, and in our own despair, against our will, comes wisdom to us by the awful grace of God." - Aeschylus

Padfoot
Rampaging Blood Elf

Postby Padfoot » Thu Nov 17, 2016 2:41 pm

At the very least he's halfway through six wives... :help: :paperbag:
Imagerichardkf7 by Martina Immel, auf Flickr

shireling
Frodo's Stewed Coney

Postby shireling » Thu Nov 17, 2016 7:56 pm

Padfoot wrote:At the very least he's halfway through six wives... :help: :paperbag:

:lmao: OMG, Paddy, you win!!! At least Melania doesn't have to worry about where she's going live for the next four years :lol: !

(I know it's supposed to be Henry VII, but Hank Junior fits better.)

shireling
Frodo's Stewed Coney

Postby shireling » Mon Nov 28, 2016 3:47 pm

The Hollow Crown returns December 11th with the 1st Part of Henry VI :yay:

Joan of Arc shows up in this - that's the good thing. I don't even want to think about the other.

shireling
Frodo's Stewed Coney

Postby shireling » Wed Nov 30, 2016 7:46 pm

Letter from Richard III to his mother, Cicely, Duchess of York

from Stephanie Brooke on Twitter

Madam I recommaunde me to you as hertely as is to me possible / Beseching you in my most humble wise and effectuouse wise of / yo[ur] daly blissing to my Synguler comfort & defence in my nede / And madam I hertely beseche you th[at] I may often here from you to my / Comfort And suche Newes as her here here my s[er]va[u]nt Thomas / Bryan this berer shall shew you to whome please it you to yeve / credence unto And madam I beseche you to be good & graciouse / lady to my lord my Chamb[er]leyn to be yo[ur] officer in wilshire in suche / as Colingbourne had I trust he shall th[er]in do you good s[er]vice / And th[a]t it please you th[a]t by this berer I may understande youre / pleasur in this behalve And I pray god sende you thaccomplisshence / of yo[ur] noble desires Written at pountfret the iii[d] day of Juyn / With the hande of

yo[ur] most humble son

Ricardus Rex

(Source: julien13173, via scribblesincrayon)

Tags: d'awwwww richard were you drunk while scrawling this

...He wrote home to Mom! My esteem just grows by the day!...

Padfoot
Rampaging Blood Elf

Postby Padfoot » Fri Dec 02, 2016 2:58 pm

shireling wrote:The Hollow Crown returns December 11th with the 1st Part of Henry VI :yay:

Joan of Arc shows up in this - that's the good thing. I don't even want to think about the other.

No "Hollow Crown" here so far. And what's the other?

shireling
Frodo's Stewed Coney

Postby shireling » Fri Dec 02, 2016 6:56 pm

Padfoot wrote:
shireling wrote:The Hollow Crown returns December 11th with the 1st Part of Henry V :yay:

No "Hollow Crown" here so far. And what's the other?

Oh gosh - so you haven't seen Richard II, Henry IV (Parts I & II), and Henry V in the series then. I would rather have seen David Tennant's Richard II, I saw just a smidge and I really regret that it's not available. It's not that Ben Whishaw wasn't good, but I really am tired of the spoiled, effeminate creature that I've been seeing all these years. I did see Fiona Shaw as the king once and I liked it better. She was actually came across as more masculine, at least to me.

I know that they've been made into DVDs. It's Great Performances: The Hollow Crown, the Complete Series - which is just those first four plays. Now the second batch is Henry VI, Parts I, II & III and Richard III, The Hollow Crown: The Wars of the Roses. Dickon is a teenager in those first ones, and has some of the best speeches! It's all garbage, the history that is, but man, his part is great. They're all on Amazon; they just haven't shown the last four plays on TV yet.

As for the other...I don't like how Joan is handled in this. Of course, she's the enemy of the English, and as far as they're concerned, she's a witch/heretic/pants-wearing Jezebel. There's that scene (Act V, Scene III) where she tries to get out of being burned. But that's entertainment :D !

Padfoot
Rampaging Blood Elf

Postby Padfoot » Mon Dec 26, 2016 9:42 am

I think I'll have to buy the DVD's, I don't think it'll be shown on TV here. If they're available on Amazon, then I will be able to order them via import.

shireling
Frodo's Stewed Coney

Postby shireling » Tue Dec 27, 2016 4:25 am

I've seen all three now (I'm going to watch the Richard III again.) The idea in doing these historical plays with much more action, less language and they move the words around, so something that might have been said by Edward IV is now stated by Elizabeth Woodville, for example.

The goal is to bring in a new and younger audience, who are used to less talk and more gore. I found myself finishing the speeches that the characters aren't. It's not bad, it's just not what I was hoping for, but if it brings more kids to Shakespeare, then have at it!

I first read Hamlet when I was 11, because of a quote I read in one of my mother's magazines attributed to the play. I didn't understand most it, but kept at it. Finally I saw Olivier's film, and then Derek Jacobi's portrayal; I eventually wrote a book report on it in 7th grade, and a term paper in high school (got A's on both.)

shireling
Frodo's Stewed Coney

Postby shireling » Thu Dec 21, 2017 1:34 pm

The Site Where Richard Was First Buried Is Declared a National Monument

http://www.wbur.org/npr/572502499/engli ... a-monument

Padfoot
Rampaging Blood Elf

Postby Padfoot » Mon Jan 01, 2018 8:54 pm

A good decision!

shireling
Frodo's Stewed Coney

Postby shireling » Mon Jan 01, 2018 11:49 pm

My General. My Duke. My King...My Uncle :D

shireling
Frodo's Stewed Coney

Postby shireling » Sun Aug 26, 2018 7:19 pm

Oh what the FUCK, I forgot the Bosworth anniversary for the first time in existence,

I give up

I am no longer worthy of having a richard iii tumblr name

I’m sorry, my king. I have failed u

Tags: i blame the baby she was screaming most of yesterday because she hates lancastrians and tudors. - from fyrichardiii tumblr, Aug. 23rd

Return to “The News”