Audiobook: The Silmarillion read by Martin Shaw

"Abandon the search for Truth; settle for a good fantasy" - come here to discuss your favorite books about things that never happened.
Withywindle
Evil Lair Tourguide

Audiobook: The Silmarillion read by Martin Shaw

Postby Withywindle » Mon Apr 14, 2014 5:12 pm

I cannot recommend this highly enough.

Did you ever think on reading the Silmarillion that it seemed a little dry? Did it seem so different in narrative style from The Lord of the Rings that you just couldn't get into it (what with all the thee and thou and Dost thou go cross gartered yonder varlet type stuff going on)?

The main reason for that is the style lends itself more to the spoken word. Think of sitting in the mead hall while some skald or bard intones and declaims the tale of Beowulf...

Buy this and dim the lights. The rich voice of Martin Shaw will thrill you and open up the vistas of of the Undying Realm and of Beleriand before the world was bent, of Numenor and its fall and of Elendil and his mighty sons flight to be borne up upon the shores of Middle-Earth in the midst of the storm... Shaw's renditions of Tolkien's poetry are worth the price alone.
Dear Mister Fantasy play us a tune / Something to make us all happy / Do anything to take us out of this gloom / Sing a song, play guitar / Make it snappy ...

MsBrandybuck
Wyvern

Re: Audiobook: The Silmarillion read by Martin Shaw

Postby MsBrandybuck » Mon Apr 14, 2014 7:44 pm

Well, HELLO!!!! :thud:
How are you Withy?! You've been missed! :) :hug:
I hope Carl has told you how we've been thinking of you and asking after you....

So thanks for the recommendation. I spend 3 hours in my car everyday for my commute to work - I should be able to listen to this during that time. Granted, it lacks the ambiance you describe.... :D
"Today is a good day to die."
— Worf

Withywindle
Evil Lair Tourguide

Postby Withywindle » Mon Apr 14, 2014 9:17 pm

Oh you know. I thought I'd better wait till I had something decent to say before my hundreth post... ;)
Dear Mister Fantasy play us a tune / Something to make us all happy / Do anything to take us out of this gloom / Sing a song, play guitar / Make it snappy ...

TomCotton
Vampire Slayer

Postby TomCotton » Tue Apr 15, 2014 12:20 pm

Here is a site where you can stream or download The Silmarillion audio book read by Martin Shaw on archive.org.

From the site:
THE SILMARILLION

Sit at the feet of the most beloved storyteller of the 20th century and
hear how the world come to be. The Silmarillion is told here in a
brilliantly faceted audio production, with all the glory of the First
Age itself. Dazzlingly performed by Martin Shaw...

This complete and unabridged audio boxed set of Tolkien's elegant
masterpiece is one that will delight fans young and old. It is an
extraordinary classic keepsake to be treasured and listened to again
and again.

Withy, I thought you was gone. :cheers:
§Doug§ AC000000 Eamus Catuli!!!!
Audere est Facere
"Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn’t go away." Philip K. Dick

shireling
Frodo's Stewed Coney

Postby shireling » Wed Apr 16, 2014 8:06 pm

Consider it bookmarked :D !

"I would like an abundance of peace. I would like full vessels of charity. I would like rich treasures of mercy. I would like cheerfulness to preside over all." - St. Brigid of Kildare

Avatar courtesy of Candy Kane, Webmistress Extraordinaire and Slayer of Trolls

Withywindle
Evil Lair Tourguide

Postby Withywindle » Thu Apr 17, 2014 10:57 am

Been listening to it whilst playing Elder Scrolls Online. Tonights episode will be Beren and Luthien. I'll have to find some wolves and kick their @ss. ;)

shireling
Frodo's Stewed Coney

Postby shireling » Thu Apr 17, 2014 12:51 pm

It's wonderful to hear the names said. That's been my biggest problem with reading this book. Now I can see Martin Shaw, sitting there all wizardly, and telling the tale. I really think Tolkien intended for his works to be read aloud :) .

"I would like an abundance of peace. I would like full vessels of charity. I would like rich treasures of mercy. I would like cheerfulness to preside over all." - St. Brigid of Kildare

Avatar courtesy of Candy Kane, Webmistress Extraordinaire and Slayer of Trolls

Padfoot
Rampaging Blood Elf

Postby Padfoot » Mon Apr 21, 2014 7:02 pm

THE Martin Shaw? :)
I was about to ask where the book is available, but I saw the lik, so I'll definitely download it. I'm looking very much forward to listening to it!!
Imagerichardkf7 by Martina Immel, auf Flickr

Return to “Fantasy”