Eagle Cam! Watch Live!

Can't have one without the other! Come and sharpen your intellect on the cutting edge.
shireling
Frodo's Stewed Coney

Re: Eagle Cam! Watch Live!

Postby shireling » Sun Feb 18, 2018 3:58 am

It's snowed in the east, and the Hays eagle is covered in ice as she broods her eggs.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6OEmOICQfCE

It's 10:57 PM my time, EST, and she's asleep. You can see her breathing with her head tucked. I hope she can stand the cold.

'By Elbereth and Luthien the Fair, you shall have neither the Ring nor me! Engage!'
Avatar courtesy of Candy Kane, Webmistress Extraordinaire and Slayer of Trolls

shireling
Frodo's Stewed Coney

Postby shireling » Sun Feb 18, 2018 1:09 pm

I found out later that the eagle has a 105 degree core temperature, and that the eggs are about 74 degrees. Not long after I posted the one above, she woke up. They can withstand temperatures up to -21. Wow.

'By Elbereth and Luthien the Fair, you shall have neither the Ring nor me! Engage!'

shireling
Frodo's Stewed Coney

Postby shireling » Thu Feb 22, 2018 4:39 am

The Hays of Pittsburgh have three eggs! And snow. Again.

shireling
Frodo's Stewed Coney

Postby shireling » Wed Mar 07, 2018 1:55 pm

It's snowed overnight in DC. Flo and Po are late this year, compared to years past. No eggs, yet, but the First Lady is just getting her brood patch ready (the feathers slough off the underside of her breast, leaving a bare bit of skin to warm the eggs with.) Truth be told, I'm glad the brooding hasn't begun, not with the way the weather's been.

shireling
Frodo's Stewed Coney

Postby shireling » Thu Mar 15, 2018 12:41 pm

The couple is late this year. But they could still have eggs, up until June. If there's no babies by then, they'll leave again until this fall - God willing, though, I still hope they'll be able to parent if they desire. That nest looks mighty inviting.

shireling
Frodo's Stewed Coney

Postby shireling » Sun Mar 25, 2018 11:43 pm

WE HAVE EGG!!!!!! :yay: *passes out cigars* Please don't smoke them, they're bad for you, but I'm so happy :D !

shireling
Frodo's Stewed Coney

Postby shireling » Thu Mar 29, 2018 2:40 am

There be TWO EGGS in that there NEST!!!! At 2:46 PM, The First Lady (a.k.a. Flo, Flotus, Wonder Woman) laid DC7, and is currently in incubation mode :D .

shireling
Frodo's Stewed Coney

Postby shireling » Tue Apr 24, 2018 12:29 pm

We're 31 days into incubation, so we should see eaglets in the week. It's about 35 days, and the first was laid on the 25th of last month. I'm looking forward to babies.

shireling
Frodo's Stewed Coney

Postby shireling » Mon Apr 30, 2018 10:27 pm

:bday: :yes: :cheers: :bday: :cheers: :yes: WE HAVE BABY!!!!!! :cheers: :bday: :yes: :cheers: :bday: :cheers: :yes:

Little DC6 hatched today at 12:16 PM, and DC7 is due to pip soon. The eggs were laid three days apart, so it'll be soon :yay: . I'm so happy for these kids! :D

... :paperbag: I said soon twice...

shireling
Frodo's Stewed Coney

Postby shireling » Thu May 03, 2018 10:04 pm

WE GOT TWO BABIES!!!!! :D

I don't know when the second eaglet pipped, and I can't find out - but! the fact that the babies are here, they are healthy and the weather is nice and warm are all pluses. Right now, DC6 and DC7 are just little balls of fluff. Here's hoping that they both make it through, just like their older siblings did.

shireling
Frodo's Stewed Coney

Postby shireling » Fri May 11, 2018 5:53 pm

I was really freaked out the other day when I only saw one eaglet. It turned out that Dad had covered up the one baby with grasses, and it could have been to cool it down, or warm it up, or protect it from the sun (the other kid was in the shade at the time.)

Potus, all the seasons I've watched, brings greens to the nest and it's to augment the diet of fish - like salmon and asparagus. This is so very cool. I love following these birds.

Return to “Science & Technology”